Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some classing/safety questions
Dave H
post Sep 6 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

I'm helping out a new member while he's waiting for his user account to get approved, and he had some tech questions that were over my head. So I thought I'd get the process started to see what we can figure out for him.

He'll be driving an '87 Hummer. It has been lowered quite a bit it sounds like he's good there. It sounds like it has soft doors though... is that going to be an issue? The other one I didn't know about is that it has an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed, not sure if it's aftermarket or factory. Is that going to pose any issue?

Thanks for the help on this, I'm curious to see where it would be classed and if it's legal to run or not. Thanks!

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Director
Chief of Course
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post Sep 6 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 40

having pics would help a lot, having an extra fuel tank in the bed would at first impression sound problematic. On the soft doors, do the seats have seat belts? You can reach out to Howard Duncan at National Office for help but suspect this week will be a challenge finding folks.

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 6 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Wicked991 @ Sep 6 2017, 01:23 PM) *
having pics would help a lot, having an extra fuel tank in the bed would at first impression sound problematic. On the soft doors, do the seats have seat belts? You can reach out to Howard Duncan at National Office for help but suspect this week will be a challenge finding folks.

See my complete response in the original thread.

Just the wheelbase seems to be an issue.

The Hummer wheelbase is 130". Track is around 85"
Seems like the track number is outside the provided range of the chart.

3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES
A Solo® event is open to any vehicle that can pass safety (tech) inspection,
has the minimum bodywork specified by these Rules, and is properly muffled,
except that vehicles with wheelbases exceeding 116” may be excluded by the
Event Chairman if he determines, at his discretion, that they cannot readily
negotiate the course.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Sep 7 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #4

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Sep 6 2017, 01:44 PM) *
QUOTE (Wicked991 @ Sep 6 2017, 01:23 PM) *

See my complete response in the original thread.

Just the wheelbase seems to be an issue.

The Hummer wheelbase is 130". Track is around 85"
Seems like the track number is outside the provided range of the chart.

3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES
A Solo® event is open to any vehicle that can pass safety (tech) inspection,
has the minimum bodywork specified by these Rules, and is properly muffled,
except that vehicles with wheelbases exceeding 116” may be excluded by the
Event Chairman if he determines, at his discretion, that they cannot readily
negotiate the course.

130" wheelbase and 85" wide. ANYONE would have a heck of a time negotiating that beast around the cones. All I see is a lot of time being spent resetting cones all over the course.

Also, I drove those original Hummers back in the early 90's when I was in the military. They are NOT known for their agility and quick handling. Now, throw me in one for a mud bog or a hill climb event and then we're talking. But AutoX??? I don't know why anyone in their right mind would even consider running one in AutoX. May as well run an RV.

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 7 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Sep 7 2017, 07:38 AM) *
130" wheelbase and 85" wide. ANYONE would have a heck of a time negotiating that beast around the cones. All I see is a lot of time being spent resetting cones all over the course.
Also, I drove those original Hummers back in the early 90's when I was in the military. They are NOT known for their agility and quick handling. Now, throw me in one for a mud bog or a hill climb event and then we're talking. But AutoX??? I don't know why anyone in their right mind would even consider running one in AutoX. May as well run an RV.

That said, who knows what others consider fun. He for sure would have the fastest Hummer time of the day. I know that their brakes are also sketchy.

If the car passes Tech in all aspects, so be it.

This would be as foolish as, say, running an '01 Mustang V-6 in Cam-C......... wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post Sep 7 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 40

And what SCCA classification is this vehicle? I would suggest the next step would be for him to provide complete written details on the vehicle including all mods done to it with specific information around driver restraints and fuel systems as well as physical dimensions. (with pics) Once that is done we submit his information to National with a request for classing. We must not endanger our insurance coverage, our insurance doesn't allow "run what you brung".

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Sep 7 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (Wicked991 @ Sep 7 2017, 10:37 AM) *
And what SCCA classification is this vehicle? I would suggest the next step would be for him to provide complete written details on the vehicle including all mods done to it with specific information around driver restraints and fuel systems as well as physical dimensions. (with pics) Once that is done we submit his information to National with a request for classing. We must not endanger our insurance coverage, our insurance doesn't allow "run what you brung".

Well said!

I never want to restrict or deter anyone from running AutoX, but this reminds me of all the times TJ talks about the "what if's" of what it would have been like for him to enter his 1969 4-door Dodge Fury in an event. While it would have likely been a spectacle to watch, I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Nov 20 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 189839

I’ve done a few autocross events in my Jetta wagon but I just picked up a 1991 Miata 1.6l with lsd it currently is mostly stock but it’s currently on eibach springs with kyb adjustable shocks, slotted rotors. The stock class is es class I was thinking that I would now be nv2/street modified but I wasn’t sure I just wanted to place it correctly for the next event.

--------------------
Scott U
Grocery Street VW Gran Tourismo Injected

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 21 2017, 06:25 AM
Post #9

It seems to me that you may still qualify for STS/NV3, since you don't have the Torsen diff.

And, looks like perhaps even the slotted rotors are OK.

Stephen King would know, or Don Sattler for sure.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 11:18 AM