Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Days of Awesome, October 28th and 29th, 2017
Dave Rock
post Oct 17 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 79

If you are new or have not attended before then the details are here.

http://www.azbrscca.org/autocross/awesome.html

Looking forward to seeing everyone over this weekend. Registration is open. Be sure to register for both days. There are two registration links, one for Saturday and one for Sunday.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
So many choices, not enough events.
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S
2002 MR2 Spyder - STR - 2014 Mineral Wells ProSolo STR winner
2015 4C - SS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dysmike
post Oct 21 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 174541

Yay! I'm even back in the States, so I can make this one! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mike stenson
2016 mazda mx-5 - CS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 23 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 4

I'm going to re-label these days as "Two Days of Fun With Your Car".

Yeah, I know, not exactly as catchy as "Two Days of Awesome", but more to the point. cool.gif

In my youth, I would sometimes journey to Autocross venues far and wide. Some in California, up and down the coast, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and yes, even once to the SCCA Nationals in Topeka Kansas. These were all the larger SCCA "National-Level" autocrosses, with many participants from far and wide. They were as much fun as a man (or women) is allowed to have with their car. Glenda (i.e., "the Wife") travelled with and also competed.

These were both a little pricey, as well as time-consuming. The travel, the time needed to travel, the hotels, and all the related costs. Entry fees were also elevated ($$$). We can no longer do those. Not a good fit for our family these days. BUT.....

Here's my point. You can have most of the thrill of going to these SCCA National-Level adventures right here just down the road in Marana Arizona.

This will be two days of autocrossing at it's best. There will be higher than usual attendance, more people to run against, a great venue. Very close to Phoenix. Way closer than say, El Toro. Or Topeka. wink.gif

Glenda and I typically rent a room for around $60 or $70, so we don't have to drive back and forth. we pretend we are way out of town. We live in Peoria (west valley north), but Marana is much closer to all East Valley drivers, only about one hour. You could easily drive back Saturday night if you wanted.

So, what could be better? But wait, there's more!!!!! wink.gif If you enter BOTH DAYS you get a $10 discount!!!! OK, now who could resist that? Go on. Give yourself a special treat. A two-day event very close to home, great courses, very reasonable fees..... what are you waiting for?

Go HERE to register for both days.

What, really can't make both days? Well, you're covered. Anyone can also enter one day or the other too. See, no more excuses. cool.gif

Glenda and I hope to see many of you there. Yes, she's entered both days too. beer.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2001 Mustang V-6 CAM-C (I coulda had a V-8?)
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
HarryB
post Oct 26 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 36

This event has been going on for a few years now.
I promised myself last year I wouldn't miss out again,
Count me in too.

Yes Scott, both days.
Skeered ya, didn't I?
LOL

--------------------
Harry Berzes
Prescott, Arizona
Golden Dogs Racing
16 Mazda MX5 Jet Black Mica GT
All leather, way too stock. For now.

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 26 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (HarryB @ Oct 26 2017, 11:49 AM) *
Count me in too. Yes Scott, both days.
Skeered ya, didn't I?
LOL

Yeah, I was a little worried about you. I think you’ve lost your historic “A-1” position due to your inconsistencies.😉

It’s just not been the same without “good old Harry” leading the way......😎 All the substitutes just don’t have your panache.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 26 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #6

Be aware travelers.......

Attached Image

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 30 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #7

Just felt it necessary to say a big THANK YOU Tucson for taking the time and effort necessary to put on such a fantastic event, especially for two days.

These opportunities are indeed rare around here. A great opportunity to sample a "pretend" two day SCCA Tour Event, but a lot closer to home and much more reasonably priced.

Saturday offered a course designed by Mindi Cross, which was a little different "flavor" that some of the more common Marana offerings. In a good way. The rhythm was a little different as were the challenges offered. If this was her first try, I'd say "Well Done" Mindy.

When I first walked it, I did not like it. Seemed too sharp, too abrupt, not a good flow. Then, on my second walk, I started to notice opportunities to alter the assumed lines into a smoother line that transformed the course. For those newer to the sport, these changes to the driven line were probably not easy to see, but what a big difference it would have on times. A driver would have to drive PAST assumed/visual apexes and create your own unseen apexes!!!! Who knew? rolleyes.gif

Then on Sunday we had a more typical Marana course, with slaloms and boxes and sweepers, all tied together into a "solve me if you can" driving challenge. If you were unaware of the need to combine two or three "elements" into one rythmic fluid motion, you probably were slower. It too had some "find you own darn apex" moments, which I am getting better at. I prefer for the pylons to tell me where to go, but a wide open sweeper with loose definition - It's not my best skill.

Both courses were challenging in different ways, and Glenda (wife) also drove both days and had a very good time. She had no trouble following either course, so it was fun for her too. That, and I've had this Mustang for over a year now, so she's actually had a chance to get used to it some. tongue.gif

Put these two days together with a very well run event, hosted by people who know what they are doing, and you have a great weekend of fun with your car. I've attended each and every "Two Days of Awesome" opportunities over past years, and would not miss one by choice. They are very special, and as I stated before, kind of rare around here.

Maybe someday with some help (from other Clubs) and sponsorship they could turn it into the "Arizona State Championships", or something like that. In the meantime, I just pretend it is. Works well for me.

Glenda and I pretend it's an out-of-state big event wink.gif by spending the night in one of the reasonably-priced motels at the Cortaro exit, a few miles south of the site. There are a number good restaurants within walking distance of the hotels, a big plus for us. So, a day of auto crossing, hotel for freshening up and a nice dinner, breakfast the next morning, and then out to day two of auto-crossing. If you are able to do this, much fun and low stress. We were back home in Glendale Sunday afternoon easily by 4:00pm. cool.gif

So, if you missed it, watch for it again next year. If you plan ahead, can fit nicely into your automotive adventure calendar.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Oct 30 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Oct 30 2017, 03:30 PM) *
Just felt it necessary to say a big THANK YOU Tucson for taking the time and effort necessary to put on such a fantastic event, especially for two days.

These opportunities are indeed rare around here. A great opportunity to sample a "pretend" two day SCCA Tour Event, but a lot closer to home and much more reasonably priced.

Saturday offered a course designed by Mindi Cross, which was a little different "flavor" that some of the more common Marana offerings. In a good way. The rhythm was a little different as were the challenges offered. If this was her first try, I'd say "Well Done" Mindy.

When I first walked it, I did not like it. Seemed too sharp, too abrupt, not a good flow. Then, on my second walk, I started to notice opportunities to alter the assumed lines into a smoother line that transformed the course. For those newer to the sport, these changes to the driven line were probably not easy to see, but what a big difference it would have on times. A driver would have to drive PAST assumed/visual apexes and create your own unseen apexes!!!! Who knew? rolleyes.gif

Then on Sunday we had a more typical Marana course, with slaloms and boxes and sweepers, all tied together into a "solve me if you can" driving challenge. If you were unaware of the need to combine two or three "elements" into one rythmic fluid motion, you probably were slower. It too had some "find you own darn apex" moments, which I am getting better at. I prefer for the pylons to tell me where to go, but a wide open sweeper with loose definition - It's not my best skill.

Both courses were challenging in different ways, and Glenda (wife) also drove both days and had a very good time. She had no trouble following either course, so it was fun for her too. That, and I've had this Mustang for over a year now, so she's actually had a chance to get used to it some. tongue.gif

Put these two days together with a very well run event, hosted by people who know what they are doing, and you have a great weekend of fun with your car. I've attended each and every "Two Days of Awesome" opportunities over past years, and would not miss one by choice. They are very special, and as I stated before, kind of rare around here.

Maybe someday with some help (from other Clubs) and sponsorship they could turn it into the "Arizona State Championships", or something like that. In the meantime, I just pretend it is. Works well for me.

Glenda and I pretend it's an out-of-state big event wink.gif by spending the night in one of the reasonably-priced motels at the Cortaro exit, a few miles south of the site. There are a number good restaurants within walking distance of the hotels, a big plus for us. So, a day of auto crossing, hotel for freshening up and a nice dinner, breakfast the next morning, and then out to day two of auto-crossing. If you are able to do this, much fun and low stress. We were back home in Glendale Sunday afternoon easily by 4:00pm. cool.gif

So, if you missed it, watch for it again next year. If you plan ahead, can fit nicely into your automotive adventure calendar.

Ditto what he wrote. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
mister2
post Oct 31 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 140721

+1 A definite Halloween "treat"!

Extra thanks for the extra work, costumes for cars & drivers, and candy at registration.

--------------------
Victor Lim
ES '03 Miata
HS '04 Sentra, gone but not forgotten

+Quote Post
Mark Yakich
post Nov 3 2017, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 163940

I see results are posted for the Sunday the 29th, will Saturdays results be posted also? (I was only Awe, couldn't make Sunday)

--------------------
Mark Yakich
2009 Demon F500 - FM

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 3 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Mark Yakich @ Nov 3 2017, 04:10 PM) *
I see results are posted for the Sunday the 29th, will Saturdays results be posted also? (I was only Awe, couldn't make Sunday)

Look down below on the list. There is the 28th and 29th, then at the top there is the 29th again.

My guess is that the extra 29th will become the two day summation for those who entered both days. I don’t know that, only a guess.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
Mark Yakich
post Nov 3 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 163940

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 3 2017, 05:21 PM) *
Look down below on the list. There is the 28th and 29th, then at the top there is the 29th again.

My guess is that the extra 29th will become the two day summation for those who entered both days. I don’t know that, only a guess.

Thanks Scott, didn't look that far down!

And thanks to everyone that put on the event! Challenging course, drove better then it walked!

--------------------
Mark Yakich
2009 Demon F500 - FM

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 10 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #13

Some of you may not know that I like to play with results. I re-sort, re-organzie, just to see how things look in a different light.

Well, I got to thinking about the Two Days of Awesome. What if it were scored like a real two-day event? Just showing the cars and drivers who entered both days? And then, what would the O/A Pax scores look like for two days for only the cars that attended both days?

Why? Why not? wink.gif

Yeah, Dave Rock's results did kind of throw a wrench into it, but I just said "What the heck" and scored him both days as if he were STR both days. Some people just have too many toys........ tongue.gif

Here you go.....

Attached Image

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 12:57 PM