IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RallyX Event #3, Saturday April 23, Pre-Registration Open Till Thursday April 21
kvenisn
post Apr 12 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 24

Registration now open:
http://www.mindthecones.com/register/311

Tell all your STI owning friends that have a bunch of cool stickers on them to come out and try it!

Any questions, feel free to post up here and I will do what I can to answer.

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik
2017 AZ Region Solo Director
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audidudi
post Apr 19 2016, 07:43 AM
Post #2

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 295

QUOTE (kvenisn @ Apr 12 2016, 08:24 PM) *
Registration now open:
http://www.mindthecones.com/register/311

Tell all your STI owning friends that have a bunch of cool stickers on them to come out and try it!

Any questions, feel free to post up here and I will do what I can to answer.

Although the transition from pavement to dirt was trickier than I thought it would be, I nevertheless had a lot of fun at my first Rallycross event last month.

The events are run by / attended by a great group of people and if you're even remotely curious about it, I urge you to check it out!

--------------------
Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ

+Quote Post
oneleglance
post Apr 19 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 169988

I have some general questions as it looks like I will be building a Hyundai Veloster Turbo for autox and rallyx....

For those of you who use the same car for both:

Do you use adjustable coil overs or something to change ride height or leave it tall all the time?

Skidplates?

Change tire/wheel combos as in more sidewall for rallyx?

I come from a history of offroad competition, high speed baja not rock crawling. So I am actually more comfortable on dirt that blacktop smile.gif

I know the Veloster Turbo might not be your first thought for both sports, but that is why Hyundai is letting me build one for SEMA, gotta show off what it can do.

Thanks in advance,
Lance

--------------------
Lance Blair
72 Chevy C-10 truck wanting to play

+Quote Post
Brock
post Apr 19 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1339

QUOTE (oneleglance @ Apr 19 2016, 09:03 AM) *
For those of you who use the same car for both:

Pretty sure that's only me (on this forum... Justin Mcbee has also done autocross a few times, and I think Leelyn Pritchard has done it once in his own car).
More often, I use someone else's car for autocross though. The last couple years I've mostly been driving Brent's BRZ in the spring (before/during the Pro Solo season). I'll probably use my own car more often in the fall.

Do you use adjustable coil overs or something to change ride height or leave it tall all the time?

My coilovers are adjustable, but I leave it tall all the time and just accept that it will always be uncompetitive in autocross. The SCCA classing structure guarantees that anyway.
I previously used vastly different tire sizes between the sports to change ride height (I still try this to some extent by using the smallest tires I can fit for autocross, but no longer use 28" mud tires in rallycross).
The best way to do it would be two separate sets of coilovers. That way you change spring rates at the same time. I've been considering this lately.

Skidplates?

Probably a good idea to use skidplates as a preventative measure, but I haven't heard of anyone cutting open an oil pan yet... They are heavy though (I may make myself a carbon/Kevlar one over the summer to shave some weight).

Change tire/wheel combos as in more sidewall for rallyx?

You will obviously need to use a different tire for dirt vs pavement if you want to be competitive.
I use a lot of sidewall (LT195/75-14). I believe extra sidewall works well at higher slip angles, which makes it easier to set up for turns. Handling in rallycross has a lot more to do with weight transfer than it does in autocross, so being able to keep grip at high slip angles is beneficial (hope that makes sense).
Most people use gravel competition tires which have less sidewall, but I was unimpressed with the (used) set I had compared to mud tires.
I'm convinced the BFG TA/KO is the hot tire for rallycross... almost everyone else disagrees (but they're also slower than me tongue.gif )
Don't use steel wheels, they will bend (Kevin and I went through 2 sets learning that lesson).

--------------------
Brock Palmer
Rallycross Danger Steward

+Quote Post
Brock
post Apr 19 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1339

I should have an extra seat available this weekend in the 3rd fastest rallycross car near the west coast.
Standard cash rental price has been $50.

--------------------
Brock Palmer
Rallycross Danger Steward

+Quote Post
oneleglance
post Apr 20 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 169988

Dang Brock if I wasn't going to be chasing in Baja for the Mexican 1000 I would so be there.

Have a great weekend.

--------------------
Lance Blair
72 Chevy C-10 truck wanting to play

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Apr 21 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #7

Pre-Registration closes today

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Apr 23 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Fun RallyX today, enjoyed the course but I don't think the splitter on Brock's car did blink.gif

6 competition runs plus 3 fun runs and we were still out of there about noon.

Last one till September but if anybody has questions about RallyX ask me or Brock.

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:23 AM