Reply to this topicStart new topic
> February 10th results posted
2.slowthewaytogo
post Feb 11 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #21

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 730

QUOTE (Ben Clement @ Feb 11 2007, 04:26 PM) *
Summary: if you want to pax high, follow these three easy steps.
1. Improve your driving. tongue.gif
2. Find a class you'd like to compete in.
3. Buy the "best" car for that class, prepared to the limits of the rules.

It's just that easy! laugh.gif

#1 I'm working on it! dry.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

As for #2 and #3, I dont really mind Pax all that much, I just thought it was kind of strange that my tired old
BMW is doing battle with a vastly superior vehicle. I'm just still suprised, I looked at some of the other DS cars,
and wow! What a lineup! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Max Gallivan
91' DS 325i

I live my life one bump stop at a time.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin G
post Feb 11 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #22

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 107

Max,

The DS allows R-compounds, and the DS PAX factor assumes you are using them. The ST classes (STS/STX/STS2/STU) do not allow r-compounds, and the PAX factor is based on that fact.

That's why all ST classes novice are grouped in NV3. Comparing NV2 and NV3 pax scores is not an apples to apples comparison.

+Quote Post
2.slowthewaytogo
post Feb 11 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Kevin Gleaton @ Feb 11 2007, 04:48 PM) *
Max,

The DS allows R-compounds, and the DS PAX factor assumes you are using them. The ST classes (STS/STX/STS2/STU) do not allow r-compounds, and the PAX factor is based on that fact.

That's why all ST classes novice are grouped in NV3. Comparing NV2 and NV3 pax scores is not an apples to apples comparison.

Hmmm.....That makes a whole lot of sense as well.

Thanks for the info Kevin wink.gif

--------------------
Max Gallivan
91' DS 325i

+Quote Post
Random1
post Feb 11 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 369

Here's a tribute to Don for TTOD. ph34r.gif Also of note is that he accomplished this in the first run group. Not that it was super cold, but it was still cool pavement. Hoosiers?

Top Time of Day man Don Sattler.

Not to be confused with this guy Dave!

--------------------
Rob Rockefeller
2003 Honda S2000 - STR

Pirate Class

Random1Racing.com My STR Prep Arizona Autocross Photos

+Quote Post
geren
post Feb 11 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 50

Don't get too excited about James' score; I'm pretty sure it was a typo, though I know my car was capable. Given that was his first time (mas o menos) on R compounds, and he was still a little tentative, it was irritatingly good.

I was assisting with registration (somewhat), and I saw a TON of misclassed cars. We tried to change what we could, but it was pretty overwhelming. We need to put a link to the online rulebook on one of the registration pages. Registration shouldn't be the ones who have to catch the problems.

The record-high (in recent history) on-site registrations also were pretty taxing. Kudos to Kris for taking care of them (and to Brad for his second time doing the pre-reg assignments).
We should perhaps revisit pre-reg only (and pre-pay only to minimize the large number of no-shows we also dealt with).

And very nice pix, though I don't know who the grimacing goon in the ill-fitting helmet was, and why he was in my car.

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 11 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (Random1 @ Feb 11 2007, 06:44 PM) *
Here's a tribute to Don for TTOD. ph34r.gif Also of note is that he accomplished this in the first run group. Not that it was super cold, but it was still cool pavement. Hoosiers?

yup. we decided to try the Hoosiers this Series and for the Sandy Ego National Tour. they seem really nice, but are they worth the extra money to be a little quicker for a LOT shorter amount of time? probably not. we HOPE to get them to last until the end of May! the Kumhos went all of last year with Flagstaff events included. sure, they were toast by December, but $600 for a set that lasts a year vs. $750 for a set that MIGHT last 1 series? probably not worth it.

as for that fast guy in my car yesterday, i have my excuses, but must say that after the asswhoopin' i had been putting on him the last few series, he has finally woken up, and i have created a monster! yes, you owe it all to me, my friend. laugh.gif tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

also, nice job in the car by Dawn, picking up more time in the afternoon. she should be good to go for San Diego trophy, unless it turns out that the '07 MX-5 has the oomph and tire width to make up for the extra weight it carries. we still have more in the bag (engine management and such), but the car is pretty much there; just little things to do still...

--------------------
Dave Lahey ~Team Wrinkles~ I drive, therefore I am.

+Quote Post
Kevin G
post Feb 11 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Feb 11 2007, 07:07 PM) *
are they worth the extra money to be a little quicker for a LOT shorter amount of time? probably not. we HOPE to get them to last until the end of May! the Kumhos went all of last year with Flagstaff events included. sure, they were toast by December, but $600 for a set that lasts a year vs. $750 for a set that MIGHT last 1 series? probably not worth it.

That's what I always thought Dave, but I'm not so sure after 3 runs in the GoDaddy car with brand new Hoosiers.

Now I think they are worth it, so the new question is whether or not I'm too cheap for hoosiers smile.gif

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 11 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Kevin Gleaton @ Feb 11 2007, 07:17 PM) *
QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Feb 11 2007, 07:07 PM) *
are they worth the extra money to be a little quicker for a LOT shorter amount of time? probably not. we HOPE to get them to last until the end of May! the Kumhos went all of last year with Flagstaff events included. sure, they were toast by December, but $600 for a set that lasts a year vs. $750 for a set that MIGHT last 1 series? probably not worth it.

That's what I always thought Dave, but I'm not so sure after 3 runs in the GoDaddy car with brand new Hoosiers.

Now I think they are worth it, so the new question is whether or not I'm too cheap for hoosiers smile.gif

well, one driver with limited TO runs could probably stretch them for a year, but in our case, $1500 for tires for the year vs. $600 is a no-brainer. now, if we could write it off on taxes for a business expense, THAT would be a different story! tongue.gif

i sure do like the "sound feedback" though. the Hoosiers actually squeal, where the Kumhos just swoosh when they are losing grip. it would be interesting to test them back to back and see if they feel any different. we were going to test that with Steve A's car, but he had a tire bead leakage issue, so comparison scratched for this event...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Random1
post Feb 11 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #29

Or this woman Dawn...

--------------------
Rob Rockefeller
2003 Honda S2000 - STR

Pirate Class

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 11 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Random1 @ Feb 11 2007, 07:40 PM) *

Or this woman Dawn...

first time in the car, Dawn ended up splitting the two more experienced drivers by the end of the day. good job! (and nice rims!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanH
post Feb 11 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 848

QUOTE (Random1 @ Feb 11 2007, 12:23 PM) *
Sorry, nothing taken of G/H by myself or Kevin V. I don't remember seeing anyone else taking shots during those run groups.

I took photos during C through E and H. I'll send them to Rob in the next day or so.

------
/Dan Hawrylkiw

--------------------
Dan Hawrylkiw
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." --Thomas Edison, 1931

+Quote Post
LP
post Feb 12 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Feb 10 2007, 11:57 PM) *
QUOTE (Clint Child @ Feb 10 2007, 07:25 PM) *
Look at old man Sattler tongue.gif laying down fast time on us!

outstanding !!! one month from his 60th birthday, he puts the smack down on you pups! laugh.gif tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

and nice job, LP !!! Mr. PAX this time around.

Thanks dave biggrin.gif thanks everyone for all the pm's too biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clint Child
post Feb 12 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 288

You are completely right about the disadvantage A group had with cold tires and a dusty track. Especially if a person didnt have a co-driver to help warm the tires.

Did I mention I was in A group with no co-driver tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Clint's YouTube channel Lots and lots of autox videos.

VTEC'n again

+Quote Post
Dan_M
post Feb 12 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 358

QUOTE (Clint Child @ Feb 12 2007, 05:06 PM) *

You are completely right about the disadvantage A group had with cold tires and a dusty track. Especially if a person didnt have a co-driver to help warm the tires.

Did I mention I was in A group with no co-driver tongue.gif laugh.gif

Already thinking of excuses, huh? ph34r.gif tongue.gif
I won't be at the next event, so you'll have to wait until May for TTP to lay some mo' smack down laugh.gif

Even with the co-driver, my rears did not get up to temp... I may need to take some extra warm up time next event...

--------------------
Dan Martin
1999 Mazda Miata Black on Black
Official Tire Guy
PS3 - S/N - specvguy
Xbox - s/n. SpaceJumping

+Quote Post
Clint Child
post Feb 12 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 288

QUOTE (Random1 @ Feb 11 2007, 07:40 PM) *

Or this woman Dawn...

I like the white tow hooks wink.gif

--------------------
Clint's YouTube channel Lots and lots of autox videos.

VTEC'n again

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 12 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (Clint Child @ Feb 12 2007, 07:24 PM) *

Or this woman Dawn...
I like the white tow hooks wink.gif

actually, they are silver, like the car used to be. called "baby teeth" by most Miataphiles, they are for tying the cars down inside the ship. there are two on the back and two on the front, and SCCA(ss) says they have to be there, as OEM equipment. stoopit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 12 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #37

here is the best thing about having photos (and also why we should all be, and are, so thankful to our photographers!): i have been wondering for 2 days now, how Don could be .4 faster. looking at pics, it is plain to see that he is driving a nice clean and tight line, and Mr. Sideways is all over the place! kinda like this... yeah, it is fun, but it is not fast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
03XRS
post Feb 13 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #38

Group: Members
Member No.: 1047

QUOTE (geren @ Feb 11 2007, 07:07 PM) *
Don't get too excited about James' score; I'm pretty sure it was a typo, though I know my car was capable. Given that was his first time (mas o menos) on R compounds, and he was still a little tentative, it was irritatingly good.

I was assisting with registration (somewhat), and I saw a TON of misclassed cars. We tried to change what we could, but it was pretty overwhelming. We need to put a link to the online rulebook on one of the registration pages. Registration shouldn't be the ones who have to catch the problems.

The record-high (in recent history) on-site registrations also were pretty taxing. Kudos to Kris for taking care of them (and to Brad for his second time doing the pre-reg assignments).
We should perhaps revisit pre-reg only (and pre-pay only to minimize the large number of no-shows we also dealt with).

And very nice pix, though I don't know who the grimacing goon in the ill-fitting helmet was, and why he was in my car.

Just wanted to say thanks to the whole crew that volunteered and ran everything. I was one of the dreaded on-site registrations; the pre-pay feature was disabled by friday when I heard about the event from a friend. Shocking to hear this was a record weekend... everything seemed to run so smoothly.

Thanks also to the photographer, it's nice to finally have some shots of my matrix on a track. I'll be trying to come back for more events over the next few months, hopefully I can some work done on my car to improve where it stands in its class. The long term plan though is to get an RX-7 as a track car.

+Quote Post
Random1
post Feb 16 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #39

Additional photos by Dan Hawrylkiw are now up on the web page. Thanks Dan for so many great pictures. If you want any of the originals that Dan took send him a message with the file numbers and your email address.

February 10th Photos

--------------------
Rob Rockefeller
2003 Honda S2000 - STR

Pirate Class

+Quote Post
2.slowthewaytogo
post Feb 16 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #40

Wow, I now have 26 pictures from the event. Cool laugh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Max Gallivan
91' DS 325i

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th March 2019 - 02:53 PM