Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classing a modified E46
KurtAZ
post Feb 14 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 243280

I am looking for some assistance on classing a 1999 BMW 328i. After a long hiatus from autocross (I used to run with Roadrunner BMWCCA about 20 years ago with an E36 325is) my son has turned 16 and wanted to get into racing. So, we found him a car and the family joined SCCA (yes, my wife wants to drive as well).

Here is my issue: the car we found has been pretty modified and I am worried that it puts us into the SP/SM realm. I know that as beginners, that may not be the best class to start off in so I am debating de-tuning this thing a bit.

Specifics:
1999 BMW 328i
K&N CAI
Stage 2 clutch/flywheel
H&R Touring Cup suspension
UUC Short Shifter
S52 Headers
Magnaflow Muffler
Epic ECU tune

Tires are easy but right now she is sitting on Nitto NT01s.

Obviously, some of this stuff I can't change out very easily to stock but, thoughts on a 16 year old running SP/SM?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Feb 14 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

It does put you into BSP, thankfully not into SM. Personally, I'd say just bring it out and drive it as is. The time and cost it'd take to put it back to stock wouldn't be worth it, and seat time is more important than anything else at this point. Your son will probably do fine with it, kids learn quick tongue.gif

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Director
Chief of Course and other things

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 14 2020, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

Initially, in my opinion, you should focus on just having fun with your car, whatever the mods. SCCA Classing can be a real adventure, and in no way comes anywhere close to a “linear” progression.

So come on out, figure (with help) what class you will be starting out in, and play with your car. It just may be that whatever Class you land in has a car similarly prepared to yours, and you and your new friends will have a blast!

Many that attend and run our events land in a Class accidentally, not by plan. Just “enjoy the ride”😉😉😉

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
KurtAZ
post Feb 15 2020, 08:35 AM
Post #4

Thank you for the responses. We were going to try and get out there today but the boy slept in. We'll see you in March for sure though.

+Quote Post
KurtAZ
post Feb 15 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Question...I am looking through the 2020 rules and if we assume a solid SP rating, wouldn't the 328 E46 be in DSP?

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 15 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (KurtAZ @ Feb 15 2020, 02:46 PM) *
Question...I am looking through the 2020 rules and if we assume a solid SP rating, wouldn't the 328 E46 be in DSP?

Yes, you are correct.

DSP BMW's.......

BMW
318 (16v) & 325 (E30 chassis)
323, 325, & 328 (E36 chassis)
323, 325, 328 & 330 (E46 chassis, non-M3)
3 Series (16v, NOC)
Bavaria

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Feb 17 2020, 06:23 AM
Post #7

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 710

Yes, DSP, and if you changed the clutch back to stock (the hardest part I know sad.gif ) you could at least move down to STX

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
Registrar
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 17 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (hatrick6 @ Feb 17 2020, 06:23 AM) *
Yes, DSP, and if you changed the clutch back to stock (the hardest part I know sad.gif ) you could at least move down to STX

Just for chuckles, take a look at the results for our last event.

There are no other DSP cars at this time. That can vary event by event.

And then, essentially, most of the STX times are faster than the SM times.

So at *our* current events, of the cars that have recently showed up, your chances of placing well would be better in SM than STX or even DSP.🤔 And you could declare any Class you car is legal for. So you could choose SM if you wanted to.😳

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
KurtAZ
post Feb 19 2020, 08:54 AM
Post #9

Thanks for the feedback, I don't think he is worried about being competitive at this point, just getting his feet wet. We'll worry about other people's times as he gets more comfortable.

He is also trying to convince a couple of his friends to join as well...if I can keep them convinced to "take it to the track" rather than get caught up in the street racing thing, I'll be happy. Not to say that they are, but the temptation is there. One of his friends is looking at an FD (RX-7) and the other's parents just bought him a Lexus RC-F. They are not going to be able to learn to control these cars on city streets.

One other thing, I noticed in the by-laws that only 2 drivers are allowed per car? Is that per class or is it limited to the car? As I mentioned, my wife would like to drive as well and that would put 3 of us driving the same vehicle?

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 19 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (KurtAZ @ Feb 19 2020, 08:54 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback, I don't think he is worried about being competitive at this point, just getting his feet wet. We'll worry about other people's times as he gets more comfortable.

He is also trying to convince a couple of his friends to join as well...if I can keep them convinced to "take it to the track" rather than get caught up in the street racing thing, I'll be happy. Not to say that they are, but the temptation is there. One of his friends is looking at an FD (RX-7) and the other's parents just bought him a Lexus RC-F. They are not going to be able to learn to control these cars on city streets.

One other thing, I noticed in the by-laws that only 2 drivers are allowed per car? Is that per class or is it limited to the car? As I mentioned, my wife would like to drive as well and that would put 3 of us driving the same vehicle?

1. Perfect. Learn how to just have fun with your car first. The rest will come later.

2. I am convinced that becoming active with our Club and with out sport has saved accidents and even lives. Learning car control under extreme circumstances is a very valuable skill, very useful even in everyday driving. You'll have that knowledge and ability should the time ever come where you really need it. It's helped Glenda and I more than once.

3. Only two drivers allowed per car PER RUN GROUP. About six people have shared Kevin V's Miata every event, but they alternate Run Groups. Should be no problem for the three of you, just be sure to choose appropriate different run groups when you register.

Better now? cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
KurtAZ
post Feb 21 2020, 06:53 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 19 2020, 03:52 PM) *
Better now? cool.gif

Yup, thank you again!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2020 - 09:53 PM