Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Honda S2000 wheel and tire sizes
Dave Munsey
post Mar 2 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 35

I know there are a few S2000's being run in this club. One simple question: What is the largest wheel and tire combination that can be run without modifying the fenders? Car is a 2004 AP2. Thanks for any help/advice.

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared
( ASP?? Your kidding me aren't you? Oh, I forgot, it's a Porsche. )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Mar 2 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 79

QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 2 2017, 09:07 AM) *
I know there are a few S2000's being run in this club. One simple question: What is the largest wheel and tire combination that can be run without modifying the fenders? Car is a 2004 AP2. Thanks for any help/advice.

Stock or STR? I know stock you can run 255/40R17 on rear. STR guys typically run 255/40R17 square. I think in STR case there is a tab in the rear that needs to be modified and the fender edges rolled in the front.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
So many choices, not enough events.
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S
2002 MR2 Spyder - STR - 2014 Mineral Wells ProSolo STR winner
2015 4C - SS

+Quote Post
tkydrft
post Mar 2 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 166203

Did you buy a S2000? We had a conversation about S2000 at last PCA event.
Typically people run with 17x9 255/40/17 square set up in STR.
The hardest part is to find wheels with +60 offset. Only few chooses out there.

+Quote Post
stripethree
post Mar 3 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 989

For B Street I've been running 245s up front and 255s in the rear (RE71Rs) for the last ~9 months without issue. There's another local (to me) BS S2K that is doing 255s all around, also on RE71Rs. I'm tempted to try it, but I already have a pair of new 245s sitting in storage.

Oh, and that's on stock size OZ Alleggeritas.

--------------------
Jeff Israel
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 - P4
2006 Honda S2000 - BS

Question about Mind the Cones? jeff@mindthecones.com

Question about the Arizona Border Region web site? webmaster@azbrscca.org

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 3 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Dave Rock @ Mar 2 2017, 03:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 2 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Stock or STR? I know stock you can run 255/40R17 on rear. STR guys typically run 255/40R17 square. I think in STR case there is a tab in the rear that needs to be modified and the fender edges rolled in the front.

I should have been more specific on the class for the car. I believe I will make it into an STR Class car. Would like to put 9 inch wheels all around and the widest tire I can get away with but don't really want to modify the fenders very much. So, as much as I can get away with without fender modification.

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 3 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (stripethree @ Mar 3 2017, 03:26 PM) *
For B Street I've been running 245s up front and 255s in the rear (RE71Rs) for the last ~9 months without issue. There's another local (to me) BS S2K that is doing 255s all around, also on RE71Rs. I'm tempted to try it, but I already have a pair of new 245s sitting in storage.

Oh, and that's on stock size OZ Alleggeritas.

So the stock front wheels are only 7 inches wide aren't they? Pretty sure my new to me 2004 has 7 inch fronts and 8 inch rears. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 3 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (tkydrft @ Mar 2 2017, 08:11 PM) *
Did you buy a S2000? We had a conversation about S2000 at last PCA event.
Typically people run with 17x9 255/40/17 square set up in STR.
The hardest part is to find wheels with +60 offset. Only few chooses out there.

Do they do this without rubbing on the fenders?

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
JW1
post Mar 6 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 18

To fit 17x9 255/40/17 you are going have to roll the front fenders. Nothing needs to be done to the rear. I rolled the fenders myself, but you can probably have a shop do it for you fairly inexpensively.

Best wheels for the car are the TR Motorsports from Tire Rack which can be had for $600.

If you want to stay in BS you can just run a smaller front tire and wheel and not have any issues.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 8 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (JW1 @ Mar 6 2017, 10:27 AM) *
To fit 17x9 255/40/17 you are going have to roll the front fenders. Nothing needs to be done to the rear. I rolled the fenders myself, but you can probably have a shop do it for you fairly inexpensively.

Best wheels for the car are the TR Motorsports from Tire Rack which can be had for $600.

If you want to stay in BS you can just run a smaller front tire and wheel and not have any issues.

Thanks Jeff. I will run it in B Street for a while but start accumulating parts needed for STR class. Sounds like I can go with 245 front tires and 255 rears on stock size wheels with no issues for now. I bought a pretty nice car and am afraid it will crack the paint to roll the fenders. Good information . Thank you!

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
stripethree
post Mar 8 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 989

QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 3 2017, 07:01 PM) *
So the stock front wheels are only 7 inches wide aren't they? Pretty sure my new to me 2004 has 7 inch fronts and 8 inch rears. Thanks for the info.

F: 17x7
R: 17x8.5

Here's what it looks like:

Attached Image

--------------------
Jeff Israel
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 - P4
2006 Honda S2000 - BS

Question about Mind the Cones? jeff@mindthecones.com

Question about the Arizona Border Region web site? webmaster@azbrscca.org

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 9 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (stripethree @ Mar 8 2017, 09:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 3 2017, 07:01 PM) *

F: 17x7
R: 17x8.5

Here's what it looks like:

Attached Image

Thank you. I think having the stock suspension gives more room for wheels and tires than you would have if you had adjustable coil overs set as low as possible. Although I am sure you can't get as much negative camber which also helps with clearance issues. Thanks.

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
Omar Mendez
post Mar 26 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 179811

Hi,

This is my 08 I'm running the TR motorsports 17 X 9 with 255 tires in all four corners with no rubbing issues and with no modifications to the fenders. Car has coilovers and it is lower that factory by at least 1.25 inches.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 27 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Omar Mendez @ Mar 27 2017, 12:10 AM) *
Hi,

This is my 08 I'm running the TR motorsports 17 X 9 with 255 tires in all four corners with no rubbing issues and with no modifications to the fenders. Car has coilovers and it is lower that factory by at least 1.25 inches.

Attached Image

Thank you. That is very helpful information. I am B street for now but want to start accumulating the parts needed for STR. I decided to put Koni yellows on it for B street and a big adjustable front bar. I was buried at work so had Network Alignment do the installation. I went to my first event in the car, a PCA event, and the right front endlink snapped in half during the 3rd run. I did not realize it until I got home and looked at it but it began to roll a lot more in the turns during the event. I looked at it and the sway bar is actually making contact with brackets on the Koni's that hold the brake lines. There is clearance when the car is sitting on the ground but as soon as you unload the suspension a bit ( like during autoxing) the 2 parts make contact. What brand of coilovers is everybody using. I looked at Ohlins road and track but they are single adjustable ( rebound and compression together) . Any suggestions on what I should get?

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared

+Quote Post
suprajayaz
post Mar 27 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 27 2017, 08:23 AM) *
Thank you. That is very helpful information. I am B street for now but want to start accumulating the parts needed for STR. I decided to put Koni yellows on it for B street and a big adjustable front bar. I was buried at work so had Network Alignment do the installation. I went to my first event in the car, a PCA event, and the right front endlink snapped in half during the 3rd run. I did not realize it until I got home and looked at it but it began to roll a lot more in the turns during the event. I looked at it and the sway bar is actually making contact with brackets on the Koni's that hold the brake lines. There is clearance when the car is sitting on the ground but as soon as you unload the suspension a bit ( like during autoxing) the 2 parts make contact. What brand of coilovers is everybody using. I looked at Ohlins road and track but they are single adjustable ( rebound and compression together) . Any suggestions on what I should get?

Swap the Koni's L<->R to resolve issue with the brake brackets.

--------------------
Jay Balducci

+Quote Post
Omar Mendez
post Mar 27 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 179811

QUOTE (suprajayaz @ Mar 27 2017, 11:34 AM) *
QUOTE (Dave Munsey @ Mar 27 2017, 08:23 AM) *
Swap the Koni's L<->R to resolve issue with the brake brackets.

Jay,

Did you had a chance to test the calibration? How did it work? Also are you running stock Miata bar in the rear?

Dave,

What sway bar are you using? I had the same problem along with clunking all disappear when I change my endlinks for the whiteline. Im running a Moddiction/Saner bar 1.25 solid. in the front and stock 08 in the back.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 11:05 PM