2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> End Of The Series Awards Celebration and Brunch, Everyone Is Invited
SSLance
post Jan 27 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 189796

I wish we could have made it, scheduling conflicts prevented our attendance.

I think it's a symptom of just everyone being so busy these days, it's hard to find a time when the majority of us are free.

--------------------
Lance Hamilton
1985 Monte Carlo SS CAM T
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jan 27 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (SSLance @ Jan 27 2019, 05:40 PM) *
I wish we could have made it, scheduling conflicts prevented our attendance.

I think it's a symptom of just everyone being so busy these days, it's hard to find a time when the majority of us are free.

Just curious why people would be busier today than, say, 20 years ago. Or even 50 years ago. We all had jobs, families, responsibilities, bills to pay, other activities.

I would think the times would be even busier 100+ years ago, when there were crops to plant and cultivate, hogs to feed and butcher, cows to milk. You get my drift, I'm sure. That had to be from early morning to darkness.

That's why I wondered if maybe an evening get-together would be better. Or none at all 'cause nobody cares. Because the world is changing? unsure.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jan 27 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

I would think the times would be even busier 100+ years ago, when there were crops to plant and cultivate, hogs to feed and butcher, cows to milk. You get my drift, I'm sure. That had to be from early morning to darkness.

Yes, I was there then, and my crop chores did not interfere with any of my autocross dates.....😉🤭😳 However, "Pa" would not allow me any "gallivanting" at night. wink.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jan 27 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jan 27 2019, 05:53 PM) *

Yes, I was there then, and my crop chores did not interfere with any of my autocross dates.....😉🤭😳 However, "Pa" would not allow me any "gallivanting" at night. wink.gif

It is well known in the Arizona autocross community that not even a nuclear holocaust would prevent Scott from attending an autocross. Wife Glenda can verify that. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I did forget to mention in a previous post that the food at Toso's,while not gourmet, was spectacular, the salad being one of the best I have had in a long time, the pizza with a tasty crust and plenty of toppings, sauce and cheese. I didn't have the pasta but overheard positive comments. Service was also spectacular and very accommodating, even providing plates and utensils for serving the Leon's autocross cake.

Thanks to all involved in this trophy get-together.

Sharon Roberts

P.S. Scott Meyers just verified that he is, indeed, "older than dirt"......... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
BWeikert
post Jan 27 2019, 11:48 PM
Post #25

Group: Admin
Member No.: 42

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Jan 27 2019, 07:24 PM) *
P.S. Scott Meyers just verified that he is, indeed, "older than dirt"......... rolleyes.gif

How could he have farmed if he was older than dirt? Don't you need dirt to farm? smile.gif

--------------------
Brian Weikert

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jan 28 2019, 05:32 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (BWeikert @ Jan 28 2019, 12:48 AM) *
QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Jan 27 2019, 07:24 PM) *

How could he have farmed if he was older than dirt? Don't you need dirt to farm? smile.gif

Hydroponics? biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jan 28 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #27

So, back on track here..... wink.gif

I am curious as to that today's entrants think about things like an Awards Party (i.e., Brunch), and believe it or not, even trophies.

After doing this now for a year, and being heavily involved in the past and how it was done then, I'm developing a sense that today's folks might not value either as much as times past.

Our Club is very diverse, not just in personalities, but also in a geographical sense. The Valley is spread across a very wide area. Hard to find a "central" location for any such "experience". As well as a common, convenient time.

As far as trophies, I still have my first one (1972), but have only saved "special" others across the years that have a unique meaning or perhaps visual look. I know some in our Club would prefer gift cards, free entries, and once we even ran a "Pro" Class where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places were a cash award.

I suggest it's time to assess and revisit what today's members/participants want.

So, speak up. EVERYONE. What floats your boat about either. I'd like to know.

I will say that as of this moment, our plan for awards ceremonies going forward will now be done at Events. As both Tucson and Sierra Vista do.

Thanks. (And, for the record, dirt was here first, Sharon wink.gif )

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)

+Quote Post
Bob Lob Law
post Jan 29 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 175044

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jan 28 2019, 09:14 AM) *
So, back on track here..... wink.gif

I am curious as to that today's entrants think about things like an Awards Party (i.e., Brunch), and believe it or not, even trophies.

After doing this now for a year, and being heavily involved in the past and how it was done then, I'm developing a sense that today's folks might not value either as much as times past.

Our Club is very diverse, not just in personalities, but also in a geographical sense. The Valley is spread across a very wide area. Hard to find a "central" location for any such "experience". As well as a common, convenient time.

I suggest it's time to assess and revisit what today's members/participants want.

So, speak up. EVERYONE. What floats your boat about either. I'd like to know.

I can say that for myself, it is hard enough to even be free to attend the events. I would be far more able to attend an awards party if it was simply scheduled right after an event at a nearby bar/restaurant.
My first trophy came with a generous gift certificate from Performance Automotive, and I thought that was pretty cool and very useful. I didn't realize that was not the norm until my next one came with nothing. haha

--------------------
Todd A.
2004 Focus SVT
HS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jan 31 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #29

Greetings. Here is a list of Trophies not picked up yet. These will be brought to the February 24th Event. See me there for yours.

Those not picked up at that time will then be stored in the trailer with others "from the past".

I live near 67th Ave and Greenway in north Glendale, if anyone lives nearby and wants to come get theirs. PM or email me to arrange a time.

AZSolo 2018 Series Trophy Winners

1T AS .....Open .....Todd Hare
1T ASP ...Open .....David Fiske
1T BS .....Open .....Dave Young
1T CAM-T ...Open ...Tommy Tommerdal
1T CSP ...Open .....Steve Ashcraft
1T HS ...Open .....Todd Anderson
1T SSC ...Open .....Matthew Mcnulty
1T SSM ...Open .....Dave Maxfield
1T STX ...Open .....Chris Groppi
1T FS .....Novice 1 ...Tim Edwards
1T ESP ...Novice 2 ...Tom Boardman
1T STR ...Novice 3 ...Sean Shepard
1T GS ...Novice L ...Emily Edwards
1T CS ...PAX1 .......Lou Young
1T CSP ...PAX2 .....Larry Burrow
2T CSP ...PAX2 .....Tim Bergstrom
3T CAM-S ...PAX3 ...Benjamin Zukowski
1T STR .....PAXL .....Lindsay Maxfield
1T SS ....Sportsman ...Doug Rowse
3T AS .....Sportsman ...Brian Peters

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
DaveM
post Feb 1 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 112

Hey Scott:
Commenting on the dearth of attendees at the recent awards luncheon, I can, at least tell you why I wasn’t there: apart from being somewhat embarrassed at the thought of receiving an undeserved trophy (basically I was the only regular competitor in SSM!) I spent most of January’s weekends working on my car and attending a lunchtime event would have cut into available “Saturday time.” In addition, Lindsay and Sean (Shepard) have just moved house, for the second time in the last few months, and again daylight hours on Saturdays are a valuable commodity in most people’s busy lives.
I can remember when we first became involved in SCCA events, when Lindsay was just a teenager, the awards event was an evening affair and had a sell-out crowd. I also remember a recent awards evening organized, I think, by Deana, and that was also well attended despite being held on an outdoor patio during the cooler winter months. So would evening events be a better proposition? Or these days, are most people just not too bothered by social activities? While my aged brain revisits the past once again, I remember the forum being filled with posts commenting not just on the last event, but on multiple topics even venturing into the occasional political discourse! Where are those topic-posters now, buried in Facebook, busy Twittering or generally, as suggested above, simply avoiding any form of social interaction?
Onto the next topic: Trophy’s. My life-long interests have been divided into racing cars and racing bicycles, and my first ever trophy (in 1965, Lord help me!) still sits proudly on the bookcase in the den. There are a lot of other cycling memorabilia and a smaller (much smaller!) bunch from motorsport. While the thought of alternatives to physical trophy’s may be attractive to some these bits of metal (and plastic) are quite dear to me and bring back memories of those years (all 54 of them, he said shaking his head!). It would be a real disappointment to think that all I had to remind me of past ventures would be spent gift cards and worn out tee-shirts!
Final comment: Scott, thanks for all you do for this regions autocrossing activities. Your event reminders, your posting of the ADOT’s travel advisory in the forum, the effort expended in hunting down interesting trophies and trying to make the awards event a fun occasion are very much appreciated.
Take Care!
p.s.
Did you steal these words from me! This has been hanging in my garage for several years, a gift from Lindsay!
Attached Image

--------------------
Dave Maxfield
Immanagh

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 2 2019, 11:14 AM
Post #31

Dave, thanks for your experiences and thoughts.

First, I have the shirt, but not for as long as you've had your sign. Great minds, huh? wink.gif I too have my first-ever trophy. It's special. I know of no one who saves their "first-ever gift card". laugh.gif

Attached Image

Jeff W and I are reworking the trophy awards structure, especially the single car trophy situation. More later. You need not hide in shame anymore. tongue.gif

I'm afraid that the days of the lavish "Banquets" are over, as site rental has essentially tripled over the years. The Club budget is a lot tighter these days. Our more frugal "Brunches" are still subsidized a little by the Club, this last one to the tune of only about $4.00/head. Should we try any evening venues, with pricier menu's, likely folks would have to pay their way totally. We could always ask.

We recently did the Brunch on Saturdays, voted for by those who responded over Sundays. Fewer conflicts with Church, sports, and honey-do's.

Once recent suggestion was holding such a ceremony after an event, at a nearby Tavern or such. That's a possibility. Or, just after an event.

It would be excellent if many folks spoke up here, but my perception is that the Forums receive much smaller "traffic" than days past. One thought is that the testy trash-talking from only a few years back became obnoxious and classless. But, I think we have more adult participants now. cool.gif

All for now.

EVERYONE, speak up with your ideas and suggestions on trophies, brunches, dinners, and all of that. Thanks.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Bob Lob Law
post Feb 4 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 175044

How about having the party after the event, and the trophy winners get a free tab? We don't really need the club to subsidize food for everyone.

--------------------
Todd A.
2004 Focus SVT
HS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 4 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Bob Lob Law @ Feb 4 2019, 02:44 PM) *
How about having the party after the event, and the trophy winners get a free tab? We don't really need the club to subsidize food for everyone.

Good thought. Added to "The List".

Keep 'em coming , guys and gals....... cool.gif

Comment on the above (for the sake of discussion)........

"After the event", would be after the first event of the next Series following that "just finished" Series.

So in the case of the Fall Series, that would need to be in January'ish. And in the case of awards for the Spring Series (ends in APRIL), that would be in....... September'ish. Five months later. I'm not a fan of a large time from when someone wins an award and the giving of that award.

Know too that there is about a four week window from when awards are decided, and the trophies (or whatever) being ready. Depending on what the awards would be, of course.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Mike Rogers
post Feb 4 2019, 06:29 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 177

QUOTE (Bob Lob Law @ Feb 4 2019, 02:44 PM) *

Good suggestion wink.gif

--------------------
Mike Rogers
HS Honda Civic Si
ES Mazda Miata

"You can't trust atoms, they make up everything!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 06:44 AM