Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cracked windshield, Will I pass tech?
cgroppi
post Aug 24 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 344

I got a big crack in my windshield late last week driving down the 202 home from work. I'd going to be replaced Monday, a day after the Marana event. Will I pass tech? It seems to be a judgement call for the tech inspector and/or SSS from what I read. The solo rules make no mention of windshield condition. I don't want to make a 200 mile round trip drive for nothing, so asking here first.

It's a single crack about half way across the windshield on the driver's side. I don't think it obstructs my vision, but then again, I'm not the tech inspector or a SSS for the event.

If it matters, I can post a picture.

-Chris

--------------------
Chris Groppi
2013 Subaru BRZ - STX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Aug 24 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 171788

I passed tech in the Phoenix area with a cracked windshield on my old Civic. It didn't spiderweb though, it was just a thin, curving line from the bottom to the top, right in my field of vision. Didn't really obstruct much though; I guess that's why it was allowed.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
2014 Chevy Spark Daily Driver
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
renfield90
post Aug 24 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 532

Mostly what tech is concerned with re windshields is:
1. No massive spider web cracks that make vision tricky (think what a high speed baseball impact would look like)
2. Not in danger of collapsing (depending on how flexible the body is, routing of the crack, etc)

If you feel safe enough driving 200 miles round trip, it's probably fine. And if not, I'm sure someone would let you hop in their car.

--------------------
Manfred Reysser
2001 Celica GT - gone to the clearing at the end of the path
2013 FR-S

"As long as my car goes I drive it. I like racing to the limit, first and last." - Gilles Villeneuve

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Aug 25 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 79

I don't think this is a rule, but if the crack is still growing when you push on it then I don't think it passes tech. If it has stopped growing then you should be good. It is is still growing we would rather you not have the windshield fail on you during a run. It does not take much stress on the glass to cause it to fail if it is still growing. On the other hand I have had a rock chip/small spider crack in the Corvette for the past 8 years that I have had it and it has not done anything.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
So many choices, not enough events.
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S
2002 MR2 Spyder - STR - 2014 Mineral Wells ProSolo STR winner
2015 4C - SS

+Quote Post
phxsteele
post Aug 25 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1994

I've personally never failed a car at tech for a broken windshield. Like said above as long as it doesnt look like a baseball bat hit is you should be okay. I would bet 8 out of 10 cars in AZ have some sort of chip/crack on the windshield.

--------------------
Chris Steele
Chief of Tech
2012 MINI Cooper S Coupe
DS/Pax 1

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Aug 25 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #6

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (phxsteele @ Aug 25 2017, 10:58 AM) *
I've personally never failed a car at tech for a broken windshield. Like said above as long as it doesnt look like a baseball bat hit is you should be okay. I would be 8 out of 10 cars in AZ have some sort of chip/crack on the windshield.

👍👍👍

I'm not the Event SSS, but as long as there is not a significant visual obstruction or structural damage to the windshield, I'd say c'mon down.😎

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2001 Mustang V-6 CAM-C (I coulda had a V-8?)
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
post Aug 25 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2727

I will most likely be the one tech'ing your car on Sunday, go ahead and post a picture up, but as most of the post here have said if it looks "safe" ie good driver visibility and windshield looks to be structurally sound, you should be fine.

--------------------
Dan Gurney
2007 CTS-V -- ESP CAM... Sure 245 tires are all a 3900 lb car needs

+Quote Post
cgroppi
post Aug 28 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 344

On Friday I checked the windshield by pressing on it, and the crack kept growing. By the time the glass guy came this morning, the crack was 3/4 the way across the windshield. Better safe than sorry, so I decided to stay home.

-Chris

--------------------
Chris Groppi
2013 Subaru BRZ - STX

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:40 PM