Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great Race 2020, Looking for navigator
fahrvergnugen
post Aug 31 2019, 02:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 5

I have entered the 2018 and 2019 Great Races (www.greatrace.com). The original intent was to run my restored 1949 Ford, but in 2018 it developed a rod knock two weeks before the event and I substituted my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia. In 2019, after a complete engine rebuild it was found that it could not be driven smoothly at speeds below 30 mph, so the 1970 Karmann Ghia was used again. Turns out the 1970 Ghia was more robust than most cars in the event, anyway, but lacked power (50 hp) for steep grades and no A/C (temps up to 100F in 2019). Some pictures of the Ghia showed up on-line, one case is further down on: https://www.greatrace.com/news/great-race-2019-day-5.html

So I procured a 1965 Ford Mustang with 289-auto which has enough power and can have a factory-like A/C installed.

The question is, who can be my navigator? My 2018 navigator was a long-time friend who helped with the 1949 Ford resto, but only wanted to try this 10-day event once. My 2019 navigator was technically skilled, but let's just say "lacked the ability to stay calm under pressure"....:-)

The 2020 event runs takes 10 days and covers at least 2000 miles from San Antonio, TX to Greenville, SC. Mostly going up to Missouri and over across Kentucky and then down the east coast.

This is a classic event and worthy of being on anybody's "bucket list."

Mark

Attached Image

--------------------
Mark Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2019 - 07:22 PM