IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rallycross School Organization, Need help/opinions!
Brock
post Dec 23 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 1339

General plea:
If anyone wants to help with the rallycross school, let me know (post here, PM/text/call/email me, etc.).

Basic layout:
I'd like to run it similar to the AZ Region driver school with two mentors per student. My current plan to deal with the smaller numbers is to only have two run groups, but have the mentors shuffle around half way through each run group. I'd like to try pairing students with a mentor who has experience driving similar cars.
I'd like to preserve the instructor runs we did at previous driver schools, but am unsure when to schedule them. My current thought is that they'd be best at the end of the day as an optional bonus (and so the students can see the application of everything they were taught through the day).

Attendance:
Judging by the people who said they were interested at the last event, I'd guess we should have about 10-15 students. Possibly more once we start spreading the word on the internet.
That means we'll need at least five (probably closer to ten) experienced rallycrossers who are willing to be mentors. I'm looking for volunteers! Make conditions/demands if you need to.
If you want to make me really happy, you can say something like, "I'm willing to be a mentor, but would prefer to be a student (or do test & tune) if no more mentors are needed."

Price:
Another thing to consider is how to control costs with fewer entries than our normal events. I don't think we're trying to make money from the school (though contributing to a cone trailer would be nice), but we certainly don't want to lose money. I'm pretty sure an $80 base price would cover costs as long as we get over 10 entries. Cheaper will attract more people though, so I propose a refund structure like $10 back for every 5 entries beyong the first 15 and up to 30 (less than 20 total entries -> $80 each; 20 to 24 -> $70 each; 25 to 29 -> $60 each; 30+ -> $50 each).

Course features:
It'd be nice to retain much of the course we run on Saturday to reduce setup/teardown and so the students can learn, "oh, I was losing time from this habit yesterday!"
Other features I'd like to make sure to include are: a relatively long (4+ cones) slalom, a fairly steady-state loop (preferably with at least one surface feature in it), and a kink that can be turned into a straight if set up properly.

Date:
I'm hoping to hold the rallycross school the Sunday after the first event of the season, which will more likely than not fall on February 1st. Does anyone see a problem with trying to get everything sorted out in such short notice?

Any thoughts? Opinions? Concerns? Volunteers?

Current list of mentors:
  • Brock Palmer
  • Doug Rowse
  • Lee Shadbolt
  • Ben Clement
  • Kevin Venisnik

--------------------
Brock Palmer
Rallycross Danger Steward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dwebb
post Dec 24 2014, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2692

Would it be possible to do a school in the a.m. and a normal event in the p.m. on the same day? Something like those wanting to do school show up at 9. Flip the course midday and students + anyone that didn't want to do the school can run a normal event starting at 1 and we're all off the site by 4:30-5.

+Quote Post
Spuds
post Dec 29 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #3

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 382

In for helping with the mentoring. Sounds like fun.

--------------------
Sandy (Doug) McSanderson (Rowse)

+Quote Post
Brock
post Dec 29 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Running the school on the same day as the regular event sounds interesting, but I don't think imposing a hard deadline like that is a good idea for our first attempt (especially during the time of year when we could run out of sunlight if anything runs long).
I also think people will be more likely to stay longer and take more advantage of optional additional seat time if it's on its own day. Mostly would depend on whoever's in charge of the cones/equipment though, so I'll see what Lee and Leelyn (or whoever is in charge of cones this year) think.

Thanks Doug!

--------------------
Brock Palmer

+Quote Post
Brock
post Jan 3 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #5

After speaking with Lee, I think we're going to try to run it broken into individual features in the morning, then link all the features together in the afternoon.
Here's a preliminary outline he wrote for us (Saturday will probably just be the two of us, but I left it on here to show what features we were planning):
Saturday PM set up three course exercises
Round skidpad
West brake, pendulum, sweeper
East straight slalom, offset slalom, decreasing slalom

MC to blade surface and water

Sunday AM break up students into two groups
Classroom while others do skidpad
Simultaneous East and West exercises while skidpad dries out

Lunch

PM daisy chain exercises into one course and run one group at a time

--------------------
Brock Palmer

+Quote Post
Brock
post Jan 6 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Current mentor list added to post 1

--------------------
Brock Palmer

+Quote Post
Brock
post Jan 9 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #7

Preliminary schedule:

7:30 Registration/Check-In/Tech Inspection (for those who missed Saturday)
8:00 Tech Inspection closes
8:15 Driver's Meeting
8:30 Group A start (individual features)
8:50 rotate to 2nd feature
9:10 rotate to 3rd feature
9:30 water truck
10:40 Group B start (individual features)
11:00 rotate to 2nd feature
11:20 rotate to 3rd feature
11:40 set up linked course, water truck
12:00 Group A start (full course)
13:00 Group B start (full course)
14:00 Official school ends, some people leave to go watch the cereal eating contest, free-for-all runs start

--------------------
Brock Palmer

+Quote Post
Brock
post Jan 12 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #8

Registration is open and I've started posting about it on forums.

Input is still appreciated if you have any!

Any help spreading the word about this event would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Brock Palmer

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:24 AM