IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> March 19 RallyCross, MC Motorpark/Musselman Honda Circuit, Registration Now Open
kvenisn
post Mar 6 2016, 05:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 24

Registration is open for the March 19 RallyCross at MC Motorpark/Musselman Honda Circuit:
http://www.mindthecones.com/register/309

Come out and experience autox in the dirt. If you have questions about RallyX or the event post them up here.

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik
2017 AZ Region Solo Director
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audidudi
post Mar 7 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #2

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 295

QUOTE (kvenisn @ Mar 6 2016, 06:23 AM) *
Registration is open for the March 19 RallyCross at MC Motorpark/Musselman Honda Circuit:

Come out and experience autox in the dirt. If you have questions about RallyX or the event post them up here.

Is anybody interested in hosting a paying co-driver?

I'm curious about trying this, but not curious enough -- yet, anyway! -- to acquire and prep a car for it.

Or maybe I should just show up and spectate the first time?

--------------------
Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Mar 11 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (audidudi @ Mar 7 2016, 04:58 PM) *
QUOTE (kvenisn @ Mar 6 2016, 06:23 AM) *

Is anybody interested in hosting a paying co-driver?

I'm curious about trying this, but not curious enough -- yet, anyway! -- to acquire and prep a car for it.

Or maybe I should just show up and spectate the first time?

Not a lot of the RallyXer's frequent this forum so you may need to come out and spectate to make some contact. I'd offer up my car but I'm currently a co-driver.

In the meantime I just registered for the event, registration closes Friday March 16.

Or you might be tempted by this:
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14596

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Mar 12 2016, 03:45 PM
Post #4

If you are looking for a car to rallyx buy this car:
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14596

And these tires:
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14598

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post
Brock
post Mar 15 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1339

I have one seat open for this event. I believe Jeff has already found a ride, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Edit: Found a 4th driver. That didn't take long.

--------------------
Brock Palmer
Rallycross Danger Steward
E85 all the things.

+Quote Post
audidudi
post Mar 16 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Brock @ Mar 15 2016, 09:21 PM) *
I have one seat open for this event. I believe Jeff has already found a ride, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Yes, I'm set, thanks to Kevin and Lee.

I'm really looking forward to finally have a go at rallycross ... here's hoping I don't embarrass myself too badly! unsure.gif

--------------------
Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Mar 18 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Bumpity. registration closes at 6 pm tonight.

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Mar 19 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Fun event today, course design by Ben Clement was very open and flowing.

Curious to hear what you though of your first RallyX Jeff.

There is more traffic on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AzRallyGroup

I don't really use Facebook because I only have 1 Facebook friend, but if anyone has questions about RallyX you can post up here and Brock or I will try and answer them.

Next event is April 23 then a break till September 17.

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik

+Quote Post
audidudi
post Mar 20 2016, 05:22 AM
Post #9

First off, I want to thank Kevin for playing the matchmaker and Lee Shadbolt and his wife for very generously allowing me to drive their car ... it was a hoot!

Overall, I had a great time yesterday, even if my performance wasn't so great. <shrugs>

Although RallyCross appears to be an autocross on dirt and they are indeed very similar except for the surfaces they use, the differences between the two disciplines become quite clear once you're on course at speed.

One thing that will require some practice (for me, anyway!) is getting comfortable with the idea that while driving "neat and tidy" is the quickest way around an autocross course, the quickest way around a RallyCross course appears to call for some amount of reckless abandon, because the course can -- and does! -- change markedly from run-to-run. The line you plan to drive may not even exist the next time around, as bumps and ruts can appear seemingly out of nowhere ... and disappear, too! Or to put it another way, autocross is often a matter of inches, whereas RallyCross is a matter of feet.

Obviously, with (lots of) practice comes control -- as I witnessed several of my competitors demonstrating! -- and I'm sure the feeling of getting it just right must be incredibly satisfying. (One of these days, I hope to verify this personally!)

Of course, for those who are more practiced and/or skilled at this than I am, I'm certain their driving experience is quite a bit different than mine, but in either case, it's a whole lot of fun!

For the curious, here are a few photos of the smooth-flowing, Ben Clements-designed course we ran:

Although the turnout was small, everybody was very friendly and helpful, and I won't hesitate to give it another go again next fall (the next event is April 23rd, but I will be at Crows Landing for the Championship Tour that day, so will have to wait out the summer until the fall series starts.)

If you're interested in experiencing this for yourself, get in touch with Kevin, as he may be able to arrange for a guest drive, as he did for me, and he certainly can arrange for some ride-alongs.

All in all, I give RallyCross a big Thumbs Up! To paraphrase Ferris Bueller, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend trying it sometime."

P.S.: Although it looks like the cars are taking a beating on course, except for filling the wheel wells with mud, the Subaru WRX I borrowed seemed not to suffer any damage or excessive wear-and-tear at all. Even the alignment appeared to have survived intact, as it tracked perfectly straight when I drove it back to the Shadbolt's house after the event.

--------------------
Jeff Goggin
Scottsdale, AZ

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 04:52 PM