Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Registration for AZ Solo 2016 Spring Series Event 3 Open
freakin_elrod
post Feb 21 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 64503

Pre-registration for AZ Solo 2016 Spring Series Event 3 on March 6, 2016 at AMP is now open. Register here AZ Solo 2016 Spring Series Event #3

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 24 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 4

BEFORE you go to register you need to make two decisions.

1. What Class is my car in?
and
2. What Category do I want to be scored in?

To find the CLASS for your car, look here Attached File  2016_Solo_Rules_DRAFT_b_12_27_2015_reduced.pdf ( 2MB ) Number of downloads: 8146

The listings start on page 163. Goes from Street (i.e., Stock), to Street Touring, to Street Prepared, to Street Modified to Prepared, to Modified. Then SCCA also tosses in some CAM Classes, for different varieties of Classic American Muscle Cars. Wait....there's more!!!! wink.gif This year SCCA added some Heritage Classes (HC).

Safe to say that the more modified your car, the further up the Classing Scale you would move. If you are not sure, post your questions in this Forum, and someone will dig up where you should be. SCCA is funny in the way that one simple mod (like a carbon fiber hood) can kick you up a bunch of Classes. Read the Class definitions for more clarity. Also note that if SCCA rules do not specifically state that you CAN do something, then you CAN'T. If your modification is not mentioned, you cannot do it in that Class.

Next, decide what CATEGORY you wish to be scored in. Categories are local Class groupings to provide some choices on whom you would run against.

These are summarized here: http://www.azsolo.com/backup/index.php/car...les/car-classes

They are: Open, Pax1/Pax2/Pax3, PaxLadies, Novice1/Novice2/Novice3, Sportsman, and TNT (a non-scored grouping, stands for "Test & Tune").

Open is the only Category where you would run against cars in your own Class, if there are any (we are a smaller Region). The other Categories are "Paxed" Groups that put cars from different Classes together using a mathematical Handicap system (PAX) to adjust the scores to theoretical evenness. In this way you are provided some competition, although not against cars in your same Class.

All Categories except Open have "Run Group Preference". Meaning you get to ask for certain run groups. If you run Open, you are placed in assigned run groups (A-B-C) on a rotation basis.

So, before you register, decide what Class and Category fits your conditions.

Any more questions, ask here. Hope this helps some.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Feb 24 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 174480

This past weekend at WHP was only my second event, but I though I'd ask now so I can have a bit of a future game plan. I read that as a novice, you can only run in the Novice class for 6 events. Would the next logical step be moving to say, PAX 1 if we intend on keeping the car stock for a while?

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 24 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Feb 24 2016, 03:52 PM) *
This past weekend at WHP was only my second event, but I though I'd ask now so I can have a bit of a future game plan. I read that as a novice, you can only
run in the Novice class for 6 events. Would the next logical step be moving to say, PAX 1 if we intend on keeping the car stock for a while?

The whole rules states:
Novice: Anyone who has entered less than 6 events in the prior 12 months AND has not received a trophy in any class.

So, then you can move on to any other Category.

Open - Where you would only run against any cars only from your own actual *Class. Scored by raw time (with Class Points assigned). *May or may not be other cars in
your actual Class. I do post alternative Event Results showing you what each event looks like scored by Class as FYI. This is the only
Category WITHOUT Run Group Preference.

Pax1 - A gathering of any and all Stock cars scored with the Pax Handicap System (PAX).

Sportsman - A collection of any and all cars from any Class, usually infested with the best drivers on the planet. Scored against each other with PAX.

TNT - From the rules:
This is a non-competition class. Drivers who enter in this class will not be included in the overall results and will not receive a PAX score, instead they
will receive only their raw time.
Not recommended for beginners or folks without a specific goal or purpose. Like people building a new car (See Fred Zust tongue.gif )

Does this help?

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Feb 24 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Yes, big help!! I misunderstood the trophy part when i read through it the first time.

So as far as the trophy part, is that at the end of each year or will that take place at the end of this first session (I believe I heard it announced that it's 2 series of 4 events each year)?

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 24 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Feb 24 2016, 05:45 PM) *
Yes, big help!! I misunderstood the trophy part when i read through it the first time.
So as far as the trophy part, is that at the end of each year or will that take place at the end of this first session (I believe I heard it announced that it's 2 series of 4 events each year)?

Once you receive a trophy, after a Series is over, Novice all done. Even after only three events (possible).

If your six events without a trophy expires during a Series, you are allowed to finish that final Series as a Novice. You are "grandfathered" (no matter what your age). tongue.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Feb 25 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 24 2016, 05:40 PM) *
Once you receive a trophy, after a Series is over, Novice all done. Even after only three events (possible).

If your six events without a trophy expires during a Series, you are allowed to finish that final Series as a Novice. You are "grandfathered" (no matter what your age). tongue.gif

LOL! Got it. Thanks, Scott!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
oneleglance
post Feb 25 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 169988

Thanks for the great reminder of how to register...
Just for kicks I went with CAM-T and Open...since I noticed no one else has been in CAM-T. Make my yacht of a truck look good.
But if that is bad let me know and I will move to PAX3 or something.

My son is still in D Stock and PAX1 in his Audi tt bone stock if I understand correctly.

We are having a ton of fun and that is all that really matters.

Enjoy
Lance

--------------------
Lance Blair
72 Chevy C-10 truck wanting to play

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 26 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #9

OK guys and gals, time to get off your duffs and register for the March 6th (Sunday) Event #3 at Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP). It's by Luke Air Force Base near the 303 and Camelback Road.

To do so, go HERE (Mind The Cones)

See above for help with choosing your Class and then Category. You will need both.

AMP is a much larger lot than WHP Skidpad #4, it has REAL bathrooms, and plenty of parking. Yes, Pat the Hot Dog Lady will also be attending. I highly recommend that spicy brat that she offers, just don't take the last one before I get there. tongue.gif

It does have a sound level limit, but unless your car is pretty darn loud you will probably be able to pass muster. Many places around the country are adding sound checks, so if your car is pretty loud, would be a good time to get that under control for good. Even so, there are simple and inexpensive things that can be added to muffle your noise level; the entire system does not need to be redone. Tip diffusers are popular as are redirectional pieces.

Even though many Categories have Run Group Preference (where you get to ask for a run/work group), we do operate under the old "first come first serve" policy. The earlier you register, the more likely you will get your first choice. It is not guaranteed.

If you have not yet tried AMP, do so this Month. Find out first hand how much fun it can be.

See you there? beer.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Mar 1 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #10

Is there ever a course map posted? I saw on the AzSolo website, there's the site location aerial view, but it would be cool to see the course map ahead of time.

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
HowdyZ06
post Mar 1 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #11

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 165637

It usually gets posted like the day/night before...

--------------------
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06
1999 Corvette, CAM-S(tupid)

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Mar 1 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (HowdyZ06 @ Mar 1 2016, 11:06 AM) *
It usually gets posted like the day/night before...

Ok cool. Thanks!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
HowdyZ06
post Mar 1 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #13

Oh also... any open seats?

--------------------
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06

+Quote Post
civil
post Mar 2 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1146

QUOTE (HowdyZ06 @ Mar 1 2016, 10:17 PM) *

If you want it. I always have one.

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
HowdyZ06
post Mar 2 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (civil @ Mar 2 2016, 08:52 AM) *
QUOTE (HowdyZ06 @ Mar 1 2016, 10:17 PM) *

If you want it. I always have one.

Done! Thanks.

--------------------
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06

+Quote Post
HowdyZ06
post Mar 4 2016, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Registration closes in a couple hours.

--------------------
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06

+Quote Post
Jim Boller
post Mar 4 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2598

Some friends of mine may ride their motorcycles out to watch/ ride along on Sunday. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with 2 wheelers being at AMP since they are coming from Queen Creek.

--------------------
Jim Boller
Site Liaison
2010 Corvette Grand Sport

+Quote Post
Littlezeke77
post Mar 4 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 61013

QUOTE (Jim Boller @ Mar 4 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Some friends of mine may ride their motorcycles out to watch/ ride along on Sunday. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with 2 wheelers being at AMP since they are coming from Queen Creek.

Not that I'm aware of. They run motorcycle races there on the road course, so I don't see why they can't park and spectate.

--------------------
Derek Bellamy
Assistant Director & Treasurer
1992 "Bass Boat Sparkly Red" Miata (STS)
2005 Scion tC (STF)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2019 - 09:35 PM