Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rallyx (again)
DR1665
post Feb 16 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 291

Hello, hello!

It's been just about two years since Dave Hymers (Tucson) and I sort of gave up on getting rallyx started in Arizona. Now I come to find out there's about 15 or so people actively getting together around the valley to "practice" out in the desert. This past weekend, we took our state-issued land use permits out west of town to an old airstrip and ran a makeshift slalom laid out in discarded tires. A great time was had by all.

So we're back to trying to make this happen legitimately. I was hoping to find a contact here who might be able to let us know the steps we need to take in order to go legit with SCCA. We are familiar with the insurance/pricing schedule and we even have a good deal of our own cones already. What we need to know is what do we need to do in order to have our little group be officially recognized so that we can confidently approach potential venue owners with factual information regarding our association with SCCA?

Appreciate any and all feedback on this. Thanks.

--------------------
Gearbox Magazine | Sharing stories of automotive enthusiasts worldwide.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spuds
post Feb 16 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 382

QUOTE (DR1665 @ Feb 16 2010, 03:38 PM) *
Hello, hello!

It's been just about two years since Dave Hymers (Tucson) and I sort of gave up on getting rallyx started in Arizona. Now I come to find out there's about 15 or so people actively getting together around the valley to "practice" out in the desert. This past weekend, we took our state-issued land use permits out west of town to an old airstrip and ran a makeshift slalom laid out in discarded tires. A great time was had by all.

So we're back to trying to make this happen legitimately. I was hoping to find a contact here who might be able to let us know the steps we need to take in order to go legit with SCCA. We are familiar with the insurance/pricing schedule and we even have a good deal of our own cones already. What we need to know is what do we need to do in order to have our little group be officially recognized so that we can confidently approach potential venue owners with factual information regarding our association with SCCA?

Appreciate any and all feedback on this. Thanks.

PM me and I'll get you started, I'm the new Director for AZSolo.

--------------------
Sandy (Doug) McSanderson (Rowse)

+Quote Post
Mykul
post Feb 16 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 1324

biggrin.gif Don't toy with me! smile.gif

You know, I have a Baja too!

--------------------
Mike Nord

No longer counting cones. Lost track.

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Feb 16 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Mykul @ Feb 16 2010, 06:57 PM) *

Well, the pass to get out on the State Trust land is only $20/yr. If you didn't mind making un-timed runs around trash tire slaloms and scrub brush to get your fix, you're more than welcome to come on out. We do it monthly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYtfbyzGiQ

^^^ "Course" walked, cleared of debris/threats, one car "on track" at a time. Otherwise, shenanigans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brock
post Feb 16 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1339

Looking forward to a more efficient way to destroy my car. laugh.gif

--------------------
Brock Palmer
Rallycross Danger Steward

+Quote Post
Mykul
post Feb 16 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (DR1665 @ Feb 16 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Well, the pass to get out on the State Trust land is only $20/yr. If you didn't mind making un-timed runs around trash tire slaloms and scrub brush to get your fix, you're more than welcome to come on out. We do it monthly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYtfbyzGiQ

^^^ "Course" walked, cleared of debris/threats, one car "on track" at a time. Otherwise, shenanigans.

Where is that? It looks like it's off of Ironwood. I really need to get the Baja up fast! I tore it down to cage it and paint it "Red Baron"

--------------------
Mike Nord

+Quote Post
lav01
post Feb 16 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15

ive taken a 'few' runs north of bartlett lake to seven springs. no real jumps per se, but lets just say the speedo read triple digits for a long time. fun trip. just dont go 'off.' i def recommend it.

--------------------
s.lav

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Feb 16 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 76

Impetus to get the Alltrac running again... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Dave Lahey ~Team Wrinkles~ I drive, therefore I am.

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Feb 17 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Brock @ Feb 16 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Looking forward to a more efficient way to destroy my car. laugh.gif

I'm sure we'll deliver, although *officially* rallyx should not pose any threat of damage to a vehicle. Maybe pop a bead on a tire or have to thoroughly dust the interior the next day, but shouldn't come anywhere close to destroying a car at all.

QUOTE (Mykul @ Feb 16 2010, 08:29 PM) *
Where is that? It looks like it's off of Ironwood. I really need to get the Baja up fast! I tore it down to cage it and paint it "Red Baron"

I-10 to Verrado, south about half a mile. Abandoned airstrip on the west side of the street. You can see it on Google Maps.

QUOTE (lav01 @ Feb 16 2010, 10:00 PM) *
ive taken a 'few' runs north of bartlett lake to seven springs. no real jumps per se, but lets just say the speedo read triple digits for a long time. fun trip. just dont go 'off.' i def recommend it.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one, chief. Factory suspension isn't going to handle jumps "per se" (and I doubt the common "performance coilovers" sold to the street crowd would fare much better), but triple digit speeds in a street car on dirt is not safe. More to the point, it's irresponsible and dangerous. Even the most prepared open class rally cars seldom touch those speeds and they are purpose built to do such things on closed roads with thousands spent on comprehensive safety equipment.

I'm all about putting the tarmac behind you and enjoying a spirited drive on gravel as much as the next guy, but the only difference between doing 100mph on the highway and doing it on a dirt road outside the city is that an off out there is probably fatal for you and whomever you contact. I can't tell you how many times I've been out on a trail and had some yahoo on a quad - in camouflage - suddenly pop out of the bushes and just cross the road without looking. Evo + ATV at 100mph on dirt = mutually assured destruction.

Not here to lecture anyone, but damn. Triple digits on dirt for extended periods of time on an open road? Dangerous, man.

QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Feb 16 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Impetus to get the Alltrac running again... ohmy.gif

Always loved those. My biggest fear of ownership? Driveline parts have to be like hen's teeth. Weren't there less than 1000 of those ever sold in North America or something? That's even more rare than my Galants (although the Galants are fortunate that the Eclipse shares much of it's powertrain with them).

Right now, we have about 15 people spread out from Flagstaff to Tucson interested in getting this going. We've got feelers out to a small handful of potential venues about hosting a few events. I'll bump this thread with any info as it comes available.

Thanks for the support.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AZ944Racer
post Feb 17 2010, 09:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1120

Let me know if there is anything I can do to get you information from the SCCA national office to get this going. I've been contacted by a Detriot Region SCCA member that is interested in getting things going here also. As he put it "I can't live around so mich dirt and not be able to drive in it"

--------------------
#91 Spec-944 - Sold
Arizona Region SCCA Treasurer
Former Regional Executive
AZSCCA.com Webmaster

+Quote Post
BWeikert
post Feb 17 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Group: Admin
Member No.: 42

QUOTE (DR1665 @ Feb 17 2010, 08:08 AM) *
I-10 to Verrado, south about half a mile. Abandoned airstrip on the west side of the street. You can see it on Google Maps.

You might want to double check on the legality of using that location. Based on the maps, that land is part of the Town of Buckeye, and they may decide that your land use permits don't fly for them inside the town!

The land was annexed by the town before 1991, and is zoned for "planned community", per the maps here:

http://az-buckeye2.civicplus.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=382

http://az-buckeye2.civicplus.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=380

Don't get me wrong, I love to see you trying to get this going, but I really doubt that you'll find that Buckeye will be willing to allow a sanctioned motorsports event on this land.

Prove me wrong, and I'll come out and watch, maybe even help you run it (but I don't have a car suitable to drive).

--------------------
Brian Weikert

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Feb 17 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #12

@Brian - Thanks for the head's up. Buckeye Police rolled through and asked to see our permits. We advised our plans to "practice" on the land this past weekend. A competition use fee is over $1000 and would likely be revoked due to dust complaints. For that reason, this is a practice venue only. We are working on multiple potential venues one at a time.

@Chris - Thank you to you as well. I've been talking with Dave aka: Spuds via PM over the past couple days. We're going to meet early next week to discuss things further. Appreciate the offer. We know your Michigan friend's pain!

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Feb 19 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 89

this looks fun. and relatively close. do you have a schedule planned out for these practice sessions, or is it just whenever you guys all decide to go out? I wouldn't mind checking this out sometime.

Ron

--------------------
Ron H.

Blue Impreza RSWX
SM Open/ST1

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Feb 19 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (#522 @ Feb 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *
this looks fun. and relatively close. do you have a schedule planned out for these practice sessions, or is it just whenever you guys all decide to go out? I wouldn't mind checking this out sometime.

Ron

Actually, we're trying to do this on a monthly basis. I'm told the next get together will be on Saturday, March 13th. We'll be meeting up at Salazar Subaru, just south of the I-10 on 107th Ave around noon. To be legal out on the strip, everyone needs to get an ASLD Recreational Permit. Hopefully this time there will be a little more organization in the form of some slalom or practice corners set up for something more than outrageous, gravel shenanigans. There's plenty of tires out there to run around, but I'll see about tossing some old cones in the trunk when I head out there next time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
woodrufj
post Mar 2 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 65

I yet to be informed that I'm not still the acting SoPac RallyCross Division Steward. So I think I'm still your divison contact. I can run advice and maybe course looks.

Primarily you need a site, a safety steward and a Event chair. Then just pay for the insurance and follow the rules. In some circumstances you can use only solo safties, but its best to get a rallyX safety in there to supervise.

woodrufj@jaycomservices.com

Jay W

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Mar 2 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (woodrufj @ Mar 2 2010, 01:58 PM) *
I yet to be informed that I'm not still the acting SoPac RallyCross Division Steward. So I think I'm still your divison contact. I can run advice and maybe course looks.

Primarily you need a site, a safety steward and a Event chair. Then just pay for the insurance and follow the rules. In some circumstances you can use only solo safties, but its best to get a rallyX safety in there to supervise.

woodrufj@jaycomservices.com

Jay W

Say. Your name looks familiar. Don't you run Johnson Valley? I was just telling Doug last night that I've still got dirt in the car from JV2 back in 2007. ph34r.gif

Appreciate the input. I will be sure we keep you in the loop, sir.

--------------------

+Quote Post
woodrufj
post Mar 4 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 65

Yep, that's me. I stopped JV in '08 because it was just too hard on me, plus the economy was turnning the numbers upside down. Are you sure that's not Jean dirt? Jean and JV dirt look the same, but the Jean stuff sticks forever. After a Jean event I left a dirt trail from my parking spot to the free way that stayed on the streets for 6 months.

Jay W

QUOTE (DR1665 @ Mar 2 2010, 03:01 PM) *
Say. Your name looks familiar. Don't you run Johnson Valley? I was just telling Doug last night that I've still got dirt in the car from JV2 back in 2007. ph34r.gif

Appreciate the input. I will be sure we keep you in the loop, sir.

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Mar 4 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (woodrufj @ Mar 4 2010, 12:18 PM) *
Yep, that's me. I stopped JV in '08 because it was just too hard on me, plus the economy was turnning the numbers upside down. Are you sure that's not Jean dirt? Jean and JV dirt look the same, but the Jean stuff sticks forever. After a Jean event I left a dirt trail from my parking spot to the free way that stayed on the streets for 6 months.

Jay W

Jean? As in Jean, NV? Where they do Seed 9? I worked a time control at Seed 9 once, probably 2007 as well. My Galant was stashed atop a hill with a HAM repeater on the roof for communications, so I went everywhere with a guy in a RHD Mini Cooper. It's scary enough sitting there in the left seat without a steering wheel, but to be going down rally stages in a street-stock Mini, with huge, pointy rocks bashing the floorpan, it was almost terrifying.

Haven't rallyx'd out there. Seems like the only time I hear anything about NV rallyx is when an event's been canceled. ph34r.gif

YGM. Hopefully we can get some AZ folks together to attend a few SoCal rallyx events this year while we're developing our own series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DR1665
post Mar 5 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #19

So we've been offered the use of some land. They're willing to let us use it one time for free to try it out, but if we want to make it a regular thing, we'll need to pony up for a $500 SLUP (although that will never expire). We could layout our courses and run here for just the cost of the insurance and sanction fees or whatever. Can you say profit margin? Sounds like epic win.

Of course, the land is north of St. Johns, which would be like driving to LA, only north and east. Could be nice in the summer, but damn. 10hrs driving and 2 tanks of gas round trip. Gift horse. Mouth. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mykul
post Mar 5 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #20

Still would be willing to do it.

--------------------
Mike Nord

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2019 - 09:37 AM