IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2-12-17 Post Event Discussion, How did everyone enjoy the event?
kvenisn
post Feb 12 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 24

Nice that the rain pretty much stayed away.

I enjoyed the course and seemed like for the most part people were able to follow the course. Thanks to Dave H for all the work he put in on the course design the pre-event edits he worked with all the SSS's.

Run group sizes were a little on the large size but we did have a larger number on onsite registrations then usual. If we had done 4 groups and had less on sites and more no shows it can become problematic for worker coverage.

Regarding on-site registration I'd like to ask people make an effort to pre-register as on site registration takes more time and can lead to longer lines at registration (I think some people today may have experienced that). If we continue to have a lot of on site registrations we may need to look as increasing the cost of on site registration vs preregistration and that is something I'd like to avoid as it tends to hurt first time autoxers disproportionally.

Thanks to everyone who steps up to help put on these events, especially all the people putting in hours outside the event and the people who need to get there super early or stay extra late (or in some cases both).

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik
2018 AZ Region Solo Director
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
civil
post Feb 12 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 1146

I had a massive smile on my face all day. laugh.gif

Rain stayed away. Course flowed great and gave some of us the work to 3rd gear and back down. Phew

Thanks to all the novices that came out. Some might be on here. We appreciate the new faces and new drivers to instruct. Hopefully they had fun and keep coming out.

beer.gif

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
Jason Bucki
post Feb 13 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 175141

I really enjoyed the course yesterday - had a nice flow, let you stretch the car's legs in a couple spots, and punished you hard if you messed up the heavier braking zones. The showcase corner finish was also fun to drive and watch.

Overall it was a great day considering what the weather was looking like before the event got started. Thanks to everyone who makes these events happen!

--------------------
Jason Bucki
2017 BMW M2 - BS

+Quote Post
suprajayaz
post Feb 13 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 182

Another fun day autoxing in AZ. Fun course design with offsets, slaloms and nice sweepers. Great team efforts for a smooth running day. Good to see all the new faces along with some we haven't seen in a while (welcome back Jim Rohm). Results are up and congrats to Steve Eymann for top PAX -he is one with his Z06. Results link here.

--------------------
Jay Balducci

+Quote Post
EricSS
post Feb 13 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 177477

It really was a great track!

I went and looked at my Gopro because I thought I missed a slalom on my 3rd run (group B ) and indeed (after taking out a cone earlier) I did but it didn't get called in and I had a time on the board. The run was not my fastest run so did not affect anything but I did DNF that run. I happened to be working that corner (Station 2) in the next run group C and when I would call out cones I did not get any response from timing. At one point in run group C a white miata and a black miata took out some cones near my station back to back (2) and I called them in twice and even asked if timing got it over the radio and I got no response. That is why I had the corner next to me hold the start to make sure that our radio was working. I did finally get a response back so I guess it was at least intermittently working. In the past I have heard timing say "copy" after cones and DNF's are called in but I didn't hear that this time so it made it a bit confusing if the cones/DNF's were being heard.

--------------------
Eric Swannie
2016 Camaro SS FS, black with white stripes #808
2016 Chevy SS Sedan FS

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Feb 13 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 174480

Had a great time as usual. A little bummed we only got 3 runs instead of 4 but it is what it is. Loved seeing all the new drivers! The course was great and well laid out and flowed well. Chalking the course went fast with so many volunteers helping out, THANKS!! I think we need to hold a cone "chalking" clinic though, some of the cones out there had a 4" buffer zone all the way around them, lol! wink.gif

Thank you to the organizers and all the volunteers for another well run event!!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
JW1
post Feb 13 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (EricSS @ Feb 13 2017, 10:07 AM) *
It really was a great track!

I went and looked at my Gopro because I thought I missed a slalom on my 3rd run (group B ) and indeed (after taking out a cone earlier) I did but it didn't get called in and I had a time on the board. The run was not my fastest run so did not affect anything but I did DNF that run. I happened to be working that corner (Station 2) in the next run group C and when I would call out cones I did not get any response from timing. At one point in run group C a white miata and a black miata took out some cones near my station back to back (2) and I called them in twice and even asked if timing got it over the radio and I got no response. That is why I had the corner next to me hold the start to make sure that our radio was working. I did finally get a response back so I guess it was at least intermittently working. In the past I have heard timing say "copy" after cones and DNF's are called in but I didn't hear that this time so it made it a bit confusing if the cones/DNF's were being heard.

Eric, thanks for calling this out. We had a number of people working observer that had not done it previously and I failed to mention the penalty confirmations.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
Aaron Chiandet
post Feb 13 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 178776

First-time novice here, what an experience this was! I'm completely hooked, now I just need to figure out how to get the rubber off my fender.

In regards to the on-site vs pre-registration conversation, is there a reason why the pre-reg closes days early, or was this unusual? I was away on business until this past Thursday, and intended on registering the following Friday when I was back. Unfortunately, pre-reg was closed at that point. I don't forsee this being an issue in the future, especially now that I know I need to do it days in advance, but I helped contribute to the problem for this reason.

I will see you all next month!

--------------------
Aaron Chiandet
2014 Subaru BRZ

+Quote Post
Wiggy Greacen
post Feb 13 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 45

My compliments to Dave Hurt for a challenging, excellent course.

--------------------
Wiggy and Kat Greacen and Serena Desiderio
SCCA Lifetime Member
started paying dues 1/1/93 autoxer since 1991

+Quote Post
mykdee
post Feb 13 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 178730

My Wife & I attended the event also, and we had a great time. Oh yeah, it was our first time at a Solo event or any autocross event for that matter. We had such a great time we will be competing in the next one!!

--------------------
Mike Drewniak
"The Dent Man!"
2000 Civic Sedan

+Quote Post
SEymann
post Feb 13 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16

Congrats Dave, very fun course. After reviewing my data, kinda surprised about the result. Out of 46.6 seconds, I spent a total of 2.01 seconds under full throttle. Usually not enough to have the HP advantage overcome the size disadvantage. Minimum speed was 25.4, top speed was 70. Guess the course suited the car better than I thought it would.

--------------------
Steve Eymann
Turning money into noise

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Feb 14 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (doji @ Feb 13 2017, 05:18 PM) *
First-time novice here, what an experience this was! I'm completely hooked, now I just need to figure out how to get the rubber off my fender.

Try Goo-Gone. Works wonders. Then of course, the best way to keep the rubber off.....stop hitting cones. wink.gif

Glad you came out and even more glad you had a good time!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
JW1
post Feb 14 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (SEymann @ Feb 13 2017, 10:19 PM) *
Congrats Dave, very fun course. After reviewing my data, kinda surprised about the result. Out of 46.6 seconds, I spent a total of 2.01 seconds under full throttle. Usually not enough to have the HP advantage overcome the size disadvantage. Minimum speed was 25.4, top speed was 70. Guess the course suited the car better than I thought it would.

What part of the course did you hit '70' at?

Also agree that the fun course part. It flowed well and had good visuals.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
MRockford
post Feb 14 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 87955

QUOTE (JW1 @ Feb 14 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Also agree that the fun course part. It flowed well and had good visuals.

Probably the finish? When I hit it right, I got to the top end of 2nd gear which is above 70.

--------------------
Michael Rockford - 2015 Chevrolet Corevette (Daytona Sunrise Orange) - Amateur Street

+Quote Post
SEymann
post Feb 14 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (JW1 @ Feb 14 2017, 12:15 PM) *

At the beginning of the second double slalom gate when coming from the far southeast corner and 69 at the finish.

--------------------
Steve Eymann
Turning money into noise

+Quote Post
MRockford
post Feb 14 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 87955

QUOTE (SEymann @ Feb 14 2017, 02:06 PM) *

At the beginning of the second double slalom gate when coming from the far southeast corner and 69 at the finish.

I swear your car teleports

--------------------
Michael Rockford - 2015 Chevrolet Corevette (Daytona Sunrise Orange) - Amateur Street

+Quote Post
Jim Boller
post Feb 14 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2598

QUOTE (SEymann @ Feb 14 2017, 02:06 PM) *

Pretty sure you had the Grand Sport to at least 70 in the same spot. Thanks again for all the help! And thanks to BP for leaving after comps. No way I would have had fastest raw time if he had some more cracks at it. Just glad I was pretty far up the chart in a car that is proven. I was a little worried. Some big/ hot shoes to fill.

--------------------
Jim Boller
Site Liaison
2010 Corvette Grand Sport

+Quote Post
Nez
post Feb 15 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2343

I am sorry I missed this one it looked like a lot of fun. My miatas alternator died on the way over taking out its signal wire connector as well. Its back on the road now. I'll be back next month minus the tow truck hopefully.

--------------------
Michael Shepard

+Quote Post
AllydNYC
post Feb 17 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 178429

Hi all! This was my first time attending any track/autocross/performance oriented driving event. I’ve been wanting to do it for 5 years but due to obstacles, being terrified of getting lost on the course and doing jobs (possibly messing it up for other people) had held me back. Here’s what I saw that I really liked and a couple things, coming from an outsider’s perspective, I disliked, respectfully. I understand some things cannot be changed. smile.gif

What I liked –
The only truly negative thing about this event was camber smile.gif

The group was friendly, helpful and understanding. I had Josh as an instructor for my first two runs. He is a great guy! Everyone seemed positive and welcoming. I didn’t feel out of place. Everyone seems very respectful of others belongings.

The course was great! I liked the layout, it was easy to understand, spaced out well and the “showcase corner finish” (I like how that was said) was very enjoyable. I hope to see something similar to that included in upcoming courses. It was really fun to give it the beans there.

What I disliked (Respectfully) –

Going off the amount of novice people on the timing board and others mentioning - At this event it looks like there were a lot of new people. Should that be taken that into consideration when assigning jobs and running cars? It’s a lot of information being thrown at newbies during their first event. Timing might be a little too much for their first job ever, at least I would feel that way. I felt like a good place for their first event jobs might be exclusively doing course work to get an understanding of how the event flows.

I know it’s is going to be a long day but maybe slow down pace of releasing cars at the start when there is that many new people at the event?

For instance, my first job was an observer. This was fun but occasionally became too fast pace with all the newbies not calling out cones on the track or just becoming confused. From the tent, it was easy to tell that both new and returning people became confused and inevitably had us becoming behind on car times. Luckily, there were a few red flags where we could catch up and breathe. The best way I can describe is, it’s similar to a rhythm game like DDR. It’s slow at the beginning and you can follow along but once it starts picking up the pace and you slip out of rhythm, everything falls apart and your brain is locked up. I’m sure the pace wouldn’t be a problem if there aren’t as many newbies, like me, experiencing their event.

Also, it looks like there wasn’t a photographer for this event, is that correct? Does that mean no pictures? Maybe I should invest into a good camera and get back into photography so we can have some pictures of the next event.

Thank you for putting together a great event. I will definitely be at the next one!

+Quote Post
HowdyZ06
post Feb 17 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 165637

QUOTE (AllydNYC @ Feb 17 2017, 11:39 AM) *
Also, it looks like there wasn’t a photographer for this event, is that correct? Does that mean no pictures? Maybe I should invest into a good camera and get back into photography so we can have some pictures of the next event.

Photographer is not a real work position. I'm not sure why MTC allows you to select it. If someone wants to take photos, take photos.

--------------------
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06
1999 Corvette, CAM-S(tupid)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2019 - 03:23 AM