Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classing 1966 MGB
Steve64B
post Jul 12 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 188666

Hi Steve Opitz here

I have a 1966 MGB that I'd like to start bringing to events this fall, but I'm not sure where it fits in your rules. I saw something from SCCA about the Heritage Classic class, but I also recognize that you might not offer it. Over the years there have been many modifications to the car, it's nowhere near stock. So, some guidance would be appreciated.

I was excited when I saw the "Old British Car" post, I thought; Great, some other old coot with a relic. It was nice to see it was the Don Roberts Cobra (I watched Don run that car in a Hill Climb back in the 70's, either Clifton or South Mountain)

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jul 13 2019, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Steve64B @ Jul 12 2019, 03:17 PM) *
Hi Steve Opitz here

I have a 1966 MGB that I'd like to start bringing to events this fall, but I'm not sure where it fits in your rules. I saw something from SCCA about the Heritage Classic class, but I also recognize that you might not offer it. Over the years there have been many modifications to the car, it's nowhere near stock. So, some guidance would be appreciated.

I was excited when I saw the "Old British Car" post, I thought; Great, some other old coot with a relic. It was nice to see it was the Don Roberts Cobra (I watched Don run that car in a Hill Climb back in the 70's, either Clifton or South Mountain)

Attached Image

Steve Opiz -- Beautiful MGB!! Thanks for the photos. The club could always use more British cars showing up for something different from a Honda,Toyota, Chevrolet or Ford.

FYI, that isn't the same Cobra you saw Don race at either/both Clifton or South Mountain. That Cobra is now owned by Jim Click of Tucson -- after a long history of it having different owners and being raced by Don by some of those different owners. The Cobra in the photo you referred to is one we have had since 1976 and was sold by Read Mullan Ford on Camelback in 1964. It just had a total restoration. I'll make sure Don knows you watched him race in "89" as that car is always referred to.

Looking forward to seeing your MGB at an event!

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 13 2019, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Steve64B @ Jul 12 2019, 02:17 PM) *

Steve,

Welcome. It's been a while since we've seen an MGB compete around here, so seeing you out will be a treat.

Don, Sharon and I all ran MGB's in local autocrosses "back in the day", Don did far better than I did. He won a National Championship or two with "MIGBA", it's nickname. I'm sure Sharon has pictures somewhere.

Anyway, on to your question........ These days it's F Street Prepared, or D Prepared, depending on how radical the mods are.

If it's springs, sway bars, exhaust including header, Webers, and similar it would be FSP. DP would include serious internal parts and such.

OR........The "Heritage Classes" you refer to are as follows (see full rules below). They SHOULD be available locally. Pretty sure I've seem them listed in registration before.

You know what your car has, but from what you've said I'm thinking that HCR might be the best choice. It seems to me that's the spirit in which you've built it for.

Classes: There are two classes; Heritage Classic Street (HCS) and Heritage ClassicRace (HCR). HCS is for street legal vehicles competing on street tires with common enthusiast modifications. HCR is for race prepared vehicles competing on any tires with modifications similar to those common “back in the day”. Additional safety requirements will apply to HCR.

Be sure to say "Hi" at our next event (September), or do as many of us do and come to the Tucson Summer Events each month (TUCSON WEBSITE). Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you.

Attached File  2016_Heritage_Classic_Rules.pdf ( 131.5K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Steve64B
post Jul 14 2019, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Thank you both for the welcome. I was thinking HCR made the most sense, but my expectations are realistic... I don't expect to be faster than anyone unless they show up driving a Zamboni!

Looking forward to September.

Steve

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jul 13 2019, 06:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Steve64B @ Jul 12 2019, 02:17 PM) *

Steve,

Welcome. It's been a while since we've seen an MGB compete around here, so seeing you out will be a treat.

Don, Sharon and I all ran MGB's in local autocrosses "back in the day", Don did far better than I did. He won a National Championship or two with "MIGBA", it's nickname. I'm sure Sharon has pictures somewhere.

Anyway, on to your question........ These days it's F Street Prepared, or D Prepared, depending on how radical the mods are.

If it's springs, sway bars, exhaust including header, Webers, and similar it would be FSP. DP would include serious internal parts and such.

OR........The "Heritage Classes" you refer to are as follows (see full rules below). They SHOULD be available locally. Pretty sure I've seem them listed in registration before.

You know what your car has, but from what you've said I'm thinking that HCR might be the best choice. It seems to me that's the spirit in which you've built it for.

Classes: There are two classes; Heritage Classic Street (HCS) and Heritage ClassicRace (HCR). HCS is for street legal vehicles competing on street tires with common enthusiast modifications. HCR is for race prepared vehicles competing on any tires with modifications similar to those common “back in the day”. Additional safety requirements will apply to HCR.

Be sure to say "Hi" at our next event (September), or do as many of us do and come to the Tucson Summer Events each month (TUCSON WEBSITE). Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you.

Attached File  2016_Heritage_Classic_Rules.pdf ( 131.5K ) Number of downloads: 5

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jul 14 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 172

[quote name='Steve64B' date='Jul 14 2019, 08:27 PM' post='168471']
Thank you both for the welcome. I was thinking HCR made the most sense, but my expectations are realistic... I don't expect to be faster than anyone unless they show up driving a Zamboni!

Looking forward to September.

Steve

Better watch out, Steve. Somebody might take that as a personal challenge and turbocharge a Zamboni. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 15 2019, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Steve64B @ Jul 14 2019, 07:27 PM) *

Know that speed and fun are "relative". You will likely have the FASTEST MGB out your next event. B) wink.gif

Please just come out with the knowledge and expectation you will have a lot of fun driving your car as fast as you possibly can, and just seeing what it can do.

Beating others is an acquired skill, and for most takes a bit of practice. So come on out, establish a baseline, and then improve from there. BTW, lots of free advice will be available from any of our members and friends at every event. beer.gif Especially Sharon and I. rolleyes.gif

Here are a couple of pics of Don and Sharon's "MIGBA". ("MIGBA" is how "MGB" is pronounced.....)

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Steve64B
post Jul 15 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jul 15 2019, 01:33 PM) *
QUOTE (Steve64B @ Jul 14 2019, 07:27 PM) *

Know that speed and fun are "relative". You will likely have the FASTEST MGB out your next event. B) wink.gif

Please just come out with the knowledge and expectation you will have a lot of fun driving your car as fast as you possibly can, and just seeing what it can do.

Beating others is an acquired skill, and for most takes a bit of practice. So come on out, establish a baseline, and then improve from there. BTW, lots of free advice will be available from any of our members and friends at every event. beer.gif Especially Sharon and I. rolleyes.gif

Here are a couple of pics of Don and Sharon's "MIGBA". ("MIGBA" is how "MGB" is pronounced.....)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Scott, I know I'll have fun, I did the last time I did an auto-x... in 1973! Driving fast without the fear of hearing a police siren will be a treat all in itself. I've seen that MIGBA before, with the first generation Huffaker fender flares... a great looking car. Thanks Steve

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 12:29 PM