Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Debating rallycross
Dyablo
post Aug 18 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 2324

I've been debating if I want to try this. I did auto cross a few times years ago with mr. Hogan. My closest event would be at Glen Helen.
Now from what I've gathered is most ppl run snow tires. Which is not an issue fining a size that fits the Evo. Or find out what is the smallest rim I can run and try finding some decent rally tires.
Also I relocated the battery to the trunk, do I need a kill switch of some sort to pass tech? I'm probably forgetting a lot of details here.
Thoughts/info ?

--------------------
WingzPeformance Tuned on E85
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dwebb
post Aug 18 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2692

QUOTE (Dyablo @ Aug 18 2014, 01:26 AM) *
I've been debating if I want to try this. I did auto cross a few times years ago with mr. Hogan. My closest event would be at Glen Helen.
Now from what I've gathered is most ppl run snow tires. Which is not an issue fining a size that fits the Evo. Or find out what is the smallest rim I can run and try finding some decent rally tires.
Also I relocated the battery to the trunk, do I need a kill switch of some sort to pass tech? I'm probably forgetting a lot of details here.
Thoughts/info ?

You should do an event first in a random shitbox or rental car to make a better-informed decision before you commit to using your Evo that is presumably set up for asphalt. This sport is rough on equipment. I have a more-or-less dedicated rallyx car and it gets pounded with occasional parts getting mangled or broken off.

+Quote Post
Brock
post Aug 19 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1339

Snow tires work pretty well. Gravel tires would be better, but I'm pretty sure you'd need to downgrade the brakes to fit 15" wheels. 16" gravel tires supposedly exist, but need to be imported from over seas.
Battery in the trunk should be fine as long as it's properly secured.

Random shitbox/rental is probably a good idea before diving in head first with an Evo. The Glen Helen site seems to develop some pretty bad potholes.

--------------------
Brock Palmer
WTF is a PAX?

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Aug 19 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (Brock @ Aug 19 2014, 01:07 PM) *
16" gravel tires supposedly exist, but need to be imported from over seas.

I still have those old 16" Hoosier wets that would be great for rally-x. Doubt I will ever use them if someone is interested. smile.gif

--------------------
Dave Lahey ~Team Wrinkles~ I drive, therefore I am.

+Quote Post
Dyablo
post Aug 20 2014, 02:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2324

That's for the info, I have an extra set of wheels but they are 17" still so I'll use them for now. If things work out for the long run I'd have to replace those brembos with a smaller set. And well get some 15" wheels and actual rally tires.

--------------------
WingzPeformance Tuned on E85

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 01:49 AM