IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Daily Driver (This Time Actually Happening)
Project.D
post Nov 7 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 171788

So, my Spark's transmission turned out to be shot at 88,400 miles. Thankfully, I got it looked at before the warranty gives up at 90,000, and it's getting a new trans under warranty. With that said, I don't want to know what other lovely problems are in store after the warranty runs out, so I'm going to replace it since it's evidently not the reliable, well-built car I thought it was. I found this very nice 2002 EP chassis Civic Si hatch on Craigslist:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/20...6740149318.html
Anyone know whether these things are good at autocross? I definitely want the next car to be autocrossable. This one caught my eye because it's in Sun City (elderly owner I'm assuming who took really good care of it), it's only on its second owner, has low miles and looks like there's no way it's 16 years old. I just don't know much about the 7th-gen Si hatches, I've only seen 8th-gen or old 4th-gen and 5th-gen Civics as competitive autocross cars.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
2004 Bluebaru WRX D Street
1990 Miata STS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 8 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #2

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 4

Chad Mizner had one of these a few years ago, and it was highly competitive locally. Never caught on Nationally because there were other SCCA "Favorites" for the class at that time, but IMO a very good local H Street car.

Review results around this time (December 2008). Clint and others often shared his car. (That's actually the overall PAX Score). Someone screwed with the results. This was before there was PAX in Class. Back when things were simpler. wink.gif tongue.gif

Attached Image

For that price, I don't think you'll do better for a fun, competitive local autocross car that's fun to drive everyday too. PLUS. adequate trunk and air conditioning.... cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 8 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #3

Thanks Scott! My other thought is getting a MkV GTI from 2006-2009, or if possible an 8th-gen Civic Si if I could find one. Also possibly a Mini Cooper S, basically the same cars I was considering before. I like how the GTI is a really competitive car, but I also like Hondas a lot (especially considering I want to work for them eventually). I also like that the newer Civic Sis are faster, but the quality for the price can also be lower (salvage titles, beaten on by idiots, etc.). On the one hand I really want a GTI, but I also expect that a Civic Si would be more reliable.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 8 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Sounds like you have a very good, well thought out list. In any case, don't think you could go wrong. Remember to ask Travis directly for any GTI advice. And Scott U. recently got one of those.

I'm guessing that price will drive your decision to some degree too. And don't forget future parts costs. What does a set of Konis cost for each, for that day when you pull that trigger. And sways bars. Exhaust. Like that.

That was a big factor in my deciding to play with my 2001 Mustang. Parts were plentiful and very inexpensive compared to other marques.

With all this expert help around, how could you possibly go wrong? cool.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
JMP
post Nov 9 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 191370

Have you tried autocrossing the Spark? The Spark may not be competitive but it's good enough to have fun autocrossing and learn something in the Fall claas.

--------------------
John Prieve

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 9 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #6

It's actually not allowed by the SCCA; it's too tall relative to its width to be allowed. I'm set on getting rid of it too, even though I already have the Miata to autocross I'd like to have something else I could use for it too. I'm planning on going to California for an internship next summer and want to be able to do autocross there, but I'd prefer not to use the Miata as a daily driver.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
nsarboc
post Nov 9 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2706

QUOTE (Project.D @ Nov 8 2018, 12:52 AM) *
So, my Spark's transmission turned out to be shot at 88,400 miles. Thankfully, I got it looked at before the warranty gives up at 90,000, and it's getting a new trans under warranty. With that said, I don't want to know what other lovely problems are in store after the warranty runs out, so I'm going to replace it since it's evidently not the reliable, well-built car I thought it was. I found this very nice 2002 EP chassis Civic Si hatch on Craigslist:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/20...6740149318.html
Anyone know whether these things are good at autocross? I definitely want the next car to be autocrossable. This one caught my eye because it's in Sun City (elderly owner I'm assuming who took really good care of it), it's only on its second owner, has low miles and looks like there's no way it's 16 years old. I just don't know much about the 7th-gen Si hatches, I've only seen 8th-gen or old 4th-gen and 5th-gen Civics as competitive autocross cars.

I was actually looking at that car to setup for STF. For the price you cant get a more competitive car (in STF). Just keep in mind its still an older car so your going to have to do some serious maintenance to it, and budget for things to break. Especially if you start beating on it at an autocross. As long as you have your expectations in the right place I think it's a good choice. Another option is an RSX Type S, but those are more expensive and harder to find un-molested.

--------------------
Nick Sloan
2015 Mustang GT PP

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 9 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (nsarboc @ Nov 9 2018, 10:29 AM) *
I was actually looking at that car to setup for STF. For the price you cant get a more competitive car (in STF).

STF was dissolved last year by SCCA. Absorbed by STS. huh.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 9 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #9

I was actually looking at that car to setup for STF. For the price you cant get a more competitive car (in STF). Just keep in mind its still an older car so your going to have to do some serious maintenance to it, and budget for things to break. Especially if you start beating on it at an autocross. As long as you have your expectations in the right place I think it's a good choice. Another option is an RSX Type S, but those are more expensive and harder to find un-molested.

Yep I'm expecting that, honestly the Spark has become pretty unreliable with a transmission failure, so it'll need repairs sooner or later too. Actually even the new transmission thumps and shakes sometimes too, so I'd rather just get something I like if I'm gonna have a car that needs repairs regardless. I was actually thinking of keeping the Civic Si stock too and competing in H Street with it, but I'm not sure if it could keep up with the newer Civics, Mini Coopers and the like. Moral of the story is, don't buy a Daewoo that's been rebranded as a tiny, pathetically cheap Chevy!

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
civil
post Nov 9 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 1146

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 9 2018, 11:30 AM) *
I was actually looking at that car to setup for STF. For the price you cant get a more competitive car (in STF).

STF was dissolved last year by SCCA. Absorbed by STS. huh.gif

STS
That's my play ground.... beer.gif

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Nov 9 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #11

Group: Admin
Member No.: 189839

TJs

I think the SI is a great car especially if that was owned by a little old lady from Sun City lol....I love my mk5 GTI the biggest thing with those is just frequent service and they run great, the dsg is a great transmission and will easily go 200k but it needs new fluid every 60k, spark plugs every 50k and the timing chain tensioner needs replacement (if the tensioner has been replaced then it will last the rest of the life of the motor). VW and Audi use custom software called a VAGcom I have one so if you do decide to look at a VW let me know and I can scan the whole car and make sure it’s good. Otherwise a car like the civic si is a great car and if you can find one unmolested that’s even better.

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi

+Quote Post
Bob Lob Law
post Nov 10 2018, 01:25 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 175044

I may be selling my Focus SVT at the end of this season if I can find a car for SSC. Its been fun and practical, and reliable because everything has already been replaced.

PM me if you have any interest.

--------------------
Todd A.
2004 Focus SVT
HS

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 10 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #13

Thanks Scott! Iíll let you know if I look at a GTI. This Civicís owner may not text me back about whether it has any issues now; they read the text almost an hour ago. Iíll see what happens, and Todd I might look into that offer!

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 11 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #14

Update: I'm going to look at the Civic on Tuesday. It sounded like the owner is an older man on the phone; I may have found the rare species known as the unmolested, clean older Honda Civic Si as my next car!

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 11 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Project.D @ Nov 11 2018, 05:05 PM) *
Update: I'm going to look at the Civic on Tuesday. It sounded like the owner is an older man on the phone; I may have found the rare species known as the unmolested, clean older Honda Civic Si as my next car!

Good luck.

I highly recommend asking for a CarFax, or an AutoCheck. You'll need the VIN. AutoCheck is less pricey, about the same information. Many dealers use it. I've used/purchased an AutoCheck in the past with good result. Saved my bacon more than once.

I look for where it was delivered (I do NOT buy **California-type Cars; delivered to = Emissions equipment), as well as any part of it's life in a snow state. Look underneath carefully. Surface rust on underneath bolts is very tell-tale.

Attached Image

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 12 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #16

Thanks Scott! I actually run vehicle history reports through vehiclehistory.com, itís free and usually seems to bring up all the important info. It confirmed that my old 1994 Civic had a salvage title because it had been stolen (what the seller didnít mention was that it was only stolen a month before I bought it). Iíll be sure to do it with my phone while Iím there.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Nov 13 2018, 12:55 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (civil @ Nov 9 2018, 02:39 PM) *
STS

Did you say that?? Did you REALLY just say that??? I can't believe you just said that...... dry.gif

wink.gif

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
civil
post Nov 13 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #18

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 1146

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Nov 13 2018, 12:55 PM) *
QUOTE (civil @ Nov 9 2018, 02:39 PM) *
STS

Did you say that?? Did you REALLY just say that??? I can't believe you just said that...... dry.gif

wink.gif

Cars on the road. AND tested down in Tucson beer.gif Coming for ya laugh.gif

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 13 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #19

Well looks like I'm gonna forget this Civic, after agreeing to meet me today the owner decided to get the hood repainted and said it's now not available to see at all until it's finished. He was a little erratic answering texts too, and the car's way over Blue Book price. I think I'll probably let this one go.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 13 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Project.D @ Nov 13 2018, 02:08 PM) *
Well looks like I'm gonna forget this Civic, after agreeing to meet me today the owner decided to get the hood repainted and said it's now not available to see at all until it's finished. He was a little erratic answering texts too, and the car's way over Blue Book price. I think I'll probably let this one go.

Smart. Any sense of "erratic" or unusual when dealing with sellers is a big red flag. Trust your gut. There will be other cars.

If they don't act like any of us would in selling a car, there is something to hide IMO.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 09:27 PM