Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AZ Solo Mailing List
JLawson
post Jan 21 2019, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 503

Is this legit? I got an email that links to a German website. Seems legit, but I figured there would be some kind of announcement.

--------------------
1980 Fiat X1/9, HCR
2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo, STU
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jan 21 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (JLawson @ Jan 21 2019, 07:25 AM) *
Is this legit? I got an email that links to a German website. Seems legit, but I figured there would be some kind of announcement.

It's from Manfred. Still a little buggy, but I think legit.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Jan 21 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 79

It is legit. Sorry for the blast of e-mails, but I wanted to make sure that the Evo School was noticed by people with the late announcement. If you don't want to be added to the list for future e-mails, then do not reply. As Manfred mentioned we might do this several times a year, but hopefully just give you better notice than a month out. As for notification, there is no concise way to do this. Forum, E-mail, Facebook, word of mouth and other means, everyone likes there notifications a little bit different.

See everyone on Sunday, where we should announce the Evo Schools once again!

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
So many choices, not enough events.
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S
2002 MR2 Spyder - STR - 2014 Mineral Wells ProSolo STR winner
2015 4C - SS

+Quote Post
renfield90
post Jan 21 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #4

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 532

Hi everyone,

I apologize this isn't nearly as smooth as I'd hoped. I'm pretty sensitive to unwanted email blasts and I'm sure others are too, so I wanted a tool that would make it easy for me (and you!) to opt-in or opt-out to any future blasts. Unfortunately the tool is more brittle than I had hoped and several people (myself included) have stubbed their toe on it, and in hindsight this may have been the dumbest or most poorly executed thing I've ever done as webmaster.

I appreciate everyone's patience so far. I'll cover some common issues here.

I received some weird German ml.kundenserver.de link. Is this safe to click?

Yes. I already created a test list and subscribed myself to it. Our hosting provider is actually headquartered in Germany and it's their tool I'm using, so expect the links to have .de as the top level domain. However, emails I send to the list will appear as if they're coming from my gmail account.

The email will look similar to this image ("solo_news" instead of "news" - this was the list I did some basic testing on):

Attached Image

In hindsight I should've provided this image ahead of time, that's on me and I apologize. Lesson learned.

I got your email blast, but didn't get the request to join the list. Where is it?

The message subject will be "Request for confirmation of subscription to the mailing list [solo_news@azbrscca.org]" - double check your spam folder. If it's not anywhere (entirely possible) send me an email and I will delete then re-add you, which will re-send the link. Please be patient, as my employer frowns upon me doing anything fun on the internet like updating a mailing list, so I'll handle these things at night.

I love email lists so much that I'd like to join!

That's great, but please click the link. Emailing "I'd like to join the list" does not put you on the list. It doesn't do anything other than make me sad, because you are not on the list. If you didn't get a link, see the above item.

I hate email lists. Get me off the list or I'm grabbing a pitchfork.

Well a pitchfork sure beats a couple of mangy wildcats but I digress...

Anyways, this is the reason I decided to use this tool. Don't want to be on the list? Just ignore the email. You show up in the system as "confirmation pending" forever, which means:
- Any message we send to the list won't be delivered to you
- Any attempt to add you to the list a second time won't generate another invitation email

And if you choose to unsubscribe from the list, your status in the system becomes "unsubscribed" - with the same result as above.

I tried to click the link but I got an error.

This has happened to more than a few people. In every case, I went and checked and their subscription was confirmed. Just shoot me an email and I will confirm.

I want to manually subscribe/unsubscribe myself.

So, that's not a feature yet. I'll need to create a new webpage for that, or add a little snippet of code to an existing page. I will post on here when that's available, which will hopefully be in the next week or so but definitely before the next email blast.

How do I email you?

Like how I left this for last? My public facing email is the webmaster email, which you can find here: http://www.azbrscca.org/about/board.html

This will forward to my personal email and I'll respond from there. I get enough spam through the webmaster email, so I'd rather not publicly post my personal email.

--------------------
Manfred Reysser
2001 Celica GT - gone to the clearing at the end of the path
2013 FR-S

"As long as my car goes I drive it. I like racing to the limit, first and last." - Gilles Villeneuve

+Quote Post
renfield90
post Feb 3 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #5

Alright everyone, the subscribe/unsubscribe link is here: http://www.azbrscca.org/autocross/subscribe.html

The tool, however, is really buggy. I'm personally frustrated to the point of anger with this thing. mad.gif

If you try to subscribe and don't receive the confirmation email, try to unsubscribe, wait 30 minutes, subscribe, then wait 30 minutes. Then check your inbox and your spam folder.

If you still don't see the confirmation email, let me know and I'll have to manually delete you from the list. Then...maybe...you might be able to subscribe.

Long term, we will probably try to find something else to use for email blasts. That'll probably end with me breaking my promise about "never doing this to you again," but I will put more effort into making sure the next solution is acceptable to everyone and actually...you know...works.

--------------------
Manfred Reysser
2013 FR-S

"As long as my car goes I drive it. I like racing to the limit, first and last." - Gilles Villeneuve

+Quote Post
renfield90
post Feb 3 2019, 11:02 AM
Post #6

I will go ahead and say this: if you use the above form to unsubscribe from the list, it'll show up on my list and I will do my best to carry that preference over to whatever new method we end up using.

--------------------
Manfred Reysser
2013 FR-S

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 05:40 AM