Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 350Z Suspension in STU
flawlessninja
post Jan 26 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 175132

Is anyone here familiar with 350Z suspension and STU rules?

I picked up a bone stock 2007 350Z a couple weeks ago to replace my Evo X (long story short, selling the Evo to buy another house). I've been researching a ton about the Z since it's a completely new platform to me, but there are a few things I'm still not 100% clear on regarding the suspension. I'm also used to abiding by ASP/SM rules, so STU rules are somewhat new to me, too.

I've already picked up some Whiteline goodies and I want coilovers and full adjustability with my alignment settings. So far, I've learned that these cars have no factory front camber adjustability and there are two coilover options: true style and OEM style with separate rear springs and shocks. So in addition to coilovers, I'll need front upper control arms and a rear camber kit at a minimum. Depending on what I'm allowed to do with the rear suspension, I'll likely need rear toe arms or upgraded toe bolts, too.

Most track-focused people on the Z forums say the true coilover setup is better due to the simpler design, but that makes the spring bucket arm pretty much useless and I think everyone swaps it out for an adjustable toe arm. They also recommend swapping the eccentric adjustment bolts for lockout bolts to avoid slippage while on track.

My questions are:

1. Would I still be STU compliant if I get a true coilover setup and swap out the rear spring bucket arms for toe arms? If not, would it be okay to run a true coilover setup and just leave the spring bucket arm in place?

2. What spring rates would be ideal for a DD that sees autox, HPDE/TT, and drift events 2-3 times a month? Any spring rate differences between OEM style and true style setups I should be aware of? On the Evo I run 10k/10k Swift springs on Ohlins, but I don't think those spring rates would work as well on the Z.

3. I know STU doesn't allow full-metal or spherical bushings on any control arms, so SPL and Voodoo13 are out. What are some other high-quality control arm options for easy alignment adjustability? i.e. I don't want control arms that need to be removed to make adjustments...

4. Should I upgrade the rear traction arms?

5. What alignment specs work well for this chassis? To compare, on the Evo I run -3f/-2.75r camber and 0 toe all around. I'm not too worried about tire wear, but I want to make sure I can still daily drive the car without issues.

Any input is much appreciated!

--------------------
Stephen Dickens
2012 Mitsubishi Evo X | WTF Tuned
2007 Nissan 350Z
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Jan 26 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 64503

QUOTE (flawlessninja @ Jan 26 2018, 08:12 PM) *
Is anyone here familiar with 350Z suspension and STU rules?

I picked up a bone stock 2007 350Z a couple weeks ago to replace my Evo X (long story short, selling the Evo to buy another house). I've been researching a ton about the Z since it's a completely new platform to me, but there are a few things I'm still not 100% clear on regarding the suspension. I'm also used to abiding by ASP/SM rules, so STU rules are somewhat new to me, too.

I've already picked up some Whiteline goodies and I want coilovers and full adjustability with my alignment settings. So far, I've learned that these cars have no factory front camber adjustability and there are two coilover options: true style and OEM style with separate rear springs and shocks. So in addition to coilovers, I'll need front upper control arms and a rear camber kit at a minimum. Depending on what I'm allowed to do with the rear suspension, I'll likely need rear toe arms or upgraded toe bolts, too.

Most track-focused people on the Z forums say the true coilover setup is better due to the simpler design, but that makes the spring bucket arm pretty much useless and I think everyone swaps it out for an adjustable toe arm. They also recommend swapping the eccentric adjustment bolts for lockout bolts to avoid slippage while on track.

My questions are:

1. Would I still be STU compliant if I get a true coilover setup and swap out the rear spring bucket arms for toe arms? If not, would it be okay to run a true coilover setup and just leave the spring bucket arm in place?

2. What spring rates would be ideal for a DD that sees autox, HPDE/TT, and drift events 2-3 times a month? Any spring rate differences between OEM style and true style setups I should be aware of? On the Evo I run 10k/10k Swift springs on Ohlins, but I don't think those spring rates would work as well on the Z.

3. I know STU doesn't allow full-metal or spherical bushings on any control arms, so SPL and Voodoo13 are out. What are some other high-quality control arm options for easy alignment adjustability? i.e. I don't want control arms that need to be removed to make adjustments...

4. Should I upgrade the rear traction arms?

5. What alignment specs work well for this chassis? To compare, on the Evo I run -3f/-2.75r camber and 0 toe all around. I'm not too worried about tire wear, but I want to make sure I can still daily drive the car without issues.

Any input is much appreciated!

Brian Peters would be a good person to talk to regarding setting up a 350z as he previously won a couple of National championships in that platform. Craig Borger is another one that may have some insight as he has something similar to what Brian previously ran on his current Z

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox

+Quote Post
flawlessninja
post Jan 26 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 175132

QUOTE (freakin_elrod @ Jan 26 2018, 09:46 PM) *
Brian Peters would be a good person to talk to regarding setting up a 350z as he previously won a couple of National championships in that platform. Craig Borger is another one that may have some insight as he has something similar to what Brian previously ran on his current Z

I've heard of Brian Peters! A couple guys I raced with in Idaho mentioned him when I told them I was moving here, but I haven't had the chance to meet him yet. Are Brian and Craig on this forum or is there another way to contact either of them? I'd love to get some insights on a championship winning setup!

--------------------
Stephen Dickens
2012 Mitsubishi Evo X | WTF Tuned
2007 Nissan 350Z

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 10:44 AM