Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car Class
Scott Urich
post Nov 20 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 189839

Hi everyone

I started autocross with my Jetta wagon this past year but I decided to change over to a 91 mx5 miata 1.6l with lsd, kyb adjustable shocks eibach shocks and sway bars with slotted brakes. I know I知 not going to be in e street anymore but I was thinking it would be nv3/sts or nv2/csp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveAshcraft
post Nov 21 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 407

QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Nov 20 2017, 10:22 PM) *
Hi everyone

I started autocross with my Jetta wagon this past year but I decided to change over to a 91 mx5 miata 1.6l with lsd, kyb adjustable shocks eibach shocks and sway bars with slotted brakes. I know I知 not going to be in e street anymore but I was thinking it would be nv3/sts or nv2/csp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Run in CSP/Open You'll be towards the bottom of the class when you start but you will be running in the same run group/same time as a bunch of people who drive Miatae.

And we like to share information, answer questions, give rides, talk about what the course looks like for a Miata, performance mods, etc. etc.

Plus we are really nice people except for the grouchy old guy that drives the blue Miata laugh.gif

--------------------
Steve Ashcraft
1990 CSP Miata
Team Wrinkles

+Quote Post
civil
post Nov 21 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1146

If those are the only modifications you'd fall into STS. And you can run in STS Open with the other miata's. But like the grouchy old guy said you can run in CSP as well against the other miata's. If you've been through enough events you'll want to run Open / PAX3 / PAX2. Just depends on the class you'd like to run.

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 21 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (civil @ Nov 21 2017, 11:59 AM) *
If those are the only modifications you'd fall into STS. And you can run in STS Open with the other Miata's. But like the grouchy old guy said you can run in CSP as well against the other Miata's. If you've been through enough events you'll want to run Open / PAX3 / PAX2. Just depends on the class you'd like to run.

Good advice from someone who should know.

I'd add to try taking a look at who has been running in those Classes recently, and decide both whom you'd most like to compete against, as well as where your car might have it's best chance "to shine". You've got a great car to start with, and I'm sure will have a blast learning how to drive it well.

As stated elsewhere, lots of good friendly advice around these parts. You're off to a great start.

If you ever decide to sell it, give me a call and we'll talk....... tongue.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Nov 21 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 21 2017, 02:54 PM) *
If you ever decide to sell it, give me a call and we'll talk....... tongue.gif wink.gif

Scott -- Give me Ten Thousand Dollars in small billsor I'm telling Glenda about your post. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 21 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Nov 21 2017, 04:18 PM) *
QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 21 2017, 02:54 PM) *
If you ever decide to sell it, give me a call and we'll talk....... tongue.gif ;)

Scott -- Give me Ten Thousand Dollars in small billsor I'm telling Glenda about your post. ph34r.gif

Given what Glenda is capable of, this is a good deal. laugh.gif (Never said I'd sell the Mustang though, did I? wink.gif )

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Nov 21 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (SteveAshcraft @ Nov 21 2017, 09:03 AM) *
QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Nov 20 2017, 10:22 PM) *
Hi everyone

Run in CSP/Open You'll be towards the bottom of the class when you start but you will be running in the same run group/same time as a bunch of people who drive Miatae.

And we like to share information, answer questions, give rides, talk about what the course looks like for a Miata, performance mods, etc. etc.

Plus we are really nice people except for the grouchy old guy that drives the blue Miata laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice I think I will place it in cap/open and work on moving myself up. I wont be to worried about moving up until I get comfortable with the car and then I can get some suggestions along the way.

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Nov 21 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 76

NV3/STS would be my suggestion. No sense in starting out in a harder class with more experienced drivers. Get used to the car and the sport first, and have fun!!

--------------------
Dave Lahey ~Team Wrinkles~ I drive, therefore I am.

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Nov 21 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Nov 21 2017, 08:08 PM) *
NV3/STS would be my suggestion. No sense in starting out in a harder class with more experienced drivers. Get used to the car and the sport first, and have fun!!

I may just subject myself to the nv3/STS class mainly because after a do an event I may be doing changes. But also I may head down to marana to get some extra practice. I知 comfortable with the autocross aspect but I知 a little unsure of the Car. The good news it痴 mx5 it痴 slow going strait 😜

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi

+Quote Post
mister2
post Nov 22 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 140721

QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Nov 21 2017, 08:27 PM) *
But also I may head down to marana to get some extra practice.

Come on down!

--------------------
Victor Lim
BS 1999 Corvette FRC

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 22 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Nov 21 2017, 07:27 PM) *
But also I may head down to Marana to get some extra practice. I知 comfortable with the autocross aspect but I知 a little unsure of the Car.

Tucson/Marana is an excellent place to practice your Autocross skills. Running there is very comfortable, simple, easy. It's like an old pair of comfortable bedroom slippers. Just a nice, comfortable fit. Very basic, straightforward. Courses easy to see and follow, how quickly you do them is up to you. wink.gif

Four Groups only (A/B/C/D), Run Group Choice for everyone. Fewer, less complex Competition Groups too. PAX (Like Sportsman), Open (All regular individual SCCA Classes), Novice (one Group), and Ladies. Many do Time Onlys there too. Even if you stay for TO's, you are usually on the way home by 2:00 most events. It's about an hour south of Firebird (Oops, WHP ). Tucson events are a little smaller than Phoenix, so things move along quickly.

I do both Phoenix and Marana Events easily each month. I enjoy both. cool.gif

Hope to see you there. beer.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
dov
post Nov 22 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 172629

Welcome to STS, I look forward to competing against you.

--------------------
Dov Zazkis,
1993 Limited Edition miata (STS).

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Nov 30 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Nov 20 2017, 09:22 PM) *
Hi everyone

I highly recommend running STS Open with us. It's a good and "growing" competitive group.

If people like Dov would leave STS Sportsman and come to Open, it could be even better. And if Stephen King would quit toying around with CSP and come back to STS Open, we'd have one heck of a gang!! wink.gif

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
civil
post Dec 1 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1146

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Nov 30 2017, 02:32 PM) *
I highly recommend running STS Open with us. It's a good and "growing" competitive group.

If people like Dov would leave STS Sportsman and come to Open, it could be even better. And if Stephen King would stop being lazy and fix his car so he can drive in STS Open, we'd have one heck of a gang!! wink.gif

Fixed for ya beer.gif

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Dec 1 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (civil @ Dec 1 2017, 08:32 AM) *
QUOTE (Jahoney @ Nov 30 2017, 02:32 PM) *

If people like Dov would leave STS Sportsman and come to Open, it could be even better. And if Stephen King would stop being lazy and fix his car so he can drive in STS Open, we'd have one heck of a gang!! wink.gif

Fixed for ya beer.gif

LMAO!!!!!

Man, if I wasn't getting a full knee replacement next week, I'd come over and help you fix that thing!

That....and if I didn't just get my own Miata to convert to STS! dry.gif
(pics of the new project coming soon.....)

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Dec 1 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 172

Man, if I wasn't getting a full knee replacement next week, I'd come over and help you fix that thing!

Josh -- Good luck on your upcoming knee surgery. Be sure to mark the knee you want replaced before going night-night. Several years ago, a friend of ours had his ankle fused -- his good ankle instead of the bad ankle -- leaving him with two bad ankles. I think he became very wealthy after the surgery.

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Dec 1 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Dec 1 2017, 03:34 PM) *

Josh -- Good luck on your upcoming knee surgery. Be sure to mark the knee you want replaced before going night-night. Several years ago, a friend of ours had his ankle fused -- his good ankle instead of the bad ankle -- leaving him with two bad ankles. I think he became very wealthy after the surgery.

In any other case, I would take your advice. But both my knees are bad, so if he does the wrong one, I get a 2 for 1 deal out of it, lol!!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Dec 1 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Dec 1 2017, 03:11 PM) *
In any other case, I would take your advice. But both my knees are bad, so if he does the wrong one, I get a 2 for 1 deal out of it, lol!!

So....... try marking BOTH of them!😉

See if anyone there notices.👍

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Dec 1 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Dec 1 2017, 04:51 PM) *
QUOTE (Jahoney @ Dec 1 2017, 03:11 PM) *

So....... try marking BOTH of them!😉

See if anyone there notices.👍

I think that may be a little too obvious, lol!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2019 - 01:38 PM