IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CenturyLink VS Cox - SHOWDOWN!, What's The Prevailing Opinion(s) Here?
SMeyers
post Oct 12 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

I know we've all seen the recent ads for the $19.95 "High Speed" Internet from CenturyLink recently, so I thought I'd check it out.
However, for that price, their "High Speed" is a whopping 1.5 Mbps!

But, I dug deeper..... huh.gif

Cox seems to go up $5 or more each year; for essentially the same service with them (Phone/Internet/TV) five years ago it was around $100.
Today we pay $165 with a "Bundle Discount", and that's with the 20Mbps speed, DVR HD TV (no Movie/Sports Pkgs), and basic phone with
30 min free long distance per month...... Caller ID and all that.

Today CenturyLink promised me their fiber-optic 20Mbps Internet, phone package with unlimited long distance, Caller ID, etc, and Direct TV
all for $118 for five years. Each service is the same or better features than Cox...... Apples to Apples.

Here's the question: Does CL deliver what they promise? Are they reliable? Anyone have direct hands-on experience with these folks, and are you happy?
Same questions about Direct TV.

Conversely, anyone think that Cox will negotiate a better price when faced with losing me? Or will they just laugh....... tongue.gif

Comments and opinions and experiences appreciated......... smile.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
06 Mazda3 - STF
"The Silver Sneaker"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Clint Child
post Oct 12 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 288

Directv is awesome.

--------------------
Clint's YouTube channel Lots and lots of autox videos.

"Just when I think I'm done with autox, I have another one of those runs that starts the whole affair all over again..." - Me

+Quote Post
BWeikert
post Oct 12 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 42

When I first moved out here, I tried Qwest DSL, but they were unable to even deliver the promised 7mb service, and ended up dropping back to a variable 1.5~3mb depending on phase of the moon or something, so I switched to Cox.

Now, I'm using Cox for phone/internet, and DirectTV for video watching needs. I switched to DirectTV completely due to price, as Cox simply charges far too much for their TV service IMO.

Still pay $70/mo. to Cox, but the internet connection I get is great, and unless CenturyLink was to drag fiber to my house (probably not going to happen), then they can't touch the cable speed.

--------------------
Brian Weikert
'95 BMW M3 - STU
-------------------------------
Cones fear me...

+Quote Post
beast
post Oct 13 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 75

Make sure there's actually fiber on your area, like Brian mentioned. They may be promising it the same way that Qwest "promises" high speed DSL. There's usually a * somewhere that says something like (* if available in your area). I had the same issue as Brian, DSL sounded awesome, 20+mb service, etc. Turns out i can get about 4mbs where i live. No fiber anywhere near here either, so i can't comment on that. Cable internet (comcast) has worked out very well for me, i get my TV thru DirecTV and just use a cell phone.

I've been happy with DirecTV so far, the DVR is much nicer than the Comcast one, but not quite as fancy as my old Tivo. I find the HD quality to be better than Comcast as well. SD channels seem to suffer a bit though. Oh, and no HD BBCAmerica on DirecTV, so no HD Top Gear. dry.gif

I've heard of people calling Comcast/Cox/Time Warner/etc and saying that they want to leave for another provider (like Vonage for phone or DirecTV for TV). The company will sometimes offer a lower price package deal to keep you as a customer. No promises on that of course, it's really up to them if they want to charge you less or not.

--------------------
Jonathan Eddy
2005 Silver WRX STi, STU
2007 Silver Nissan Frontier Nismo, for RallyX!

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 13 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Yep, I've got access to fiber here, and the promised speed is 20Mbps.

After all taxes are added, the net savings would be around $40 per month. Cox Internet here has finally gotten reliable, and I'm getting
25Mbps almost all the time now. Phone service is fine, and the TV package is OK; seems we lose a DVR machine about every 6 to 8 months,
then I've go to go exchange and reprogram everything.

Think I might call Cox and ask for a "competitive Senior Discount".

Sound good? I made that up.......... tongue.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
06 Mazda3 - STF
"The Silver Sneaker"

+Quote Post
Mike Whitehouse
post Oct 13 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 148

Scott,
If it works let me know. smile.gif

Michael

--------------------
Mike Whitehouse
Cielo #511 10th Anniversary Edition Miata/as yet un-named 2012 Porsche Cayman R/Magic 2010 Audi S4,

Remember, you can't shoot fast enough to make up for missing!

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 14 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mike Whitehouse @ Oct 13 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Scott,
If it works let me know. smile.gif
Michael

Well, so much for good logic and charm...... Cox is not interested in any form of discounts even when faced with cheaper CenturyLink pricing.

Lots of reasons, foremost is that Cox is not contractual, and with CL you need to sign contracts I guess...? Cox did offer me cheaper packages rolleyes.gif ,
and also a two-year price lock if I would sign a two year contract with them.

A fear I have is switching and finding out that CL is not able to deliver what they promise........ huh.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
06 Mazda3 - STF
"The Silver Sneaker"

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Oct 14 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #8

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 24

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Oct 14 2011, 12:43 PM) *
A fear I have is switching and finding out that CL is not able to deliver what they promise........ huh.gif

Do they promise or guarantee? If it's a guarantee, ask them what they will do if they don't perform (but get it in writing).

Failing that, talk your neighbor into switching and see how it works for them. laugh.gif

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik- CSP Instructor Class

+Quote Post
HarryB
post Oct 15 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #9

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 36

Living in copper central now, neither CLink or the local Cable vendor exceed 1.3-1.5.
IF I lived way out east, the billboards say up to 50!??
Go figure.

MIss the good old Cox fiber days, streaming is pretty jerky up here.

Internet is always greener above the septic tank.

ph34r.gif

--------------------
Harry Berzes
Prescott, Arizona
Golden Dogs Racing
09 Copper Red Mazda Roadster Coupe
#47 STR-lite

+Quote Post
wannagofaster
post Oct 18 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 76

CenturyLink is surely not as fast as cable, no matter what they say. I'd probably switch if I didn't have to buy a modem and pay more than I am already. The folks have Cox, and it is wicked! Ah well...

--------------------
Dave Lahey --- I drive, therefore I am.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 09:52 AM