Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder setup for STR class
Dave Rock
post Sep 13 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 79

This car has quite a bit of development work done to it for STR class. It is an absolute blast to drive both on and off the course. I used to drive to very long distances, 20 hrs each way, to events towing a tire trailer. So it makes a very good car that you will not have to do much to. The car has a newer 2003+ motor that does not burn any oil. I use Amsoil full synthetic fluids in the engine, transmission, clutch, brakes and radiator fluid. Most of the setup/development work over the years has been documented here, http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthrea...TR-Build-Thread.

Setup Information/parts:

Koni 2817 struts front and rear that were setup by Proparts. The struts have 2.25 springs front and rear. It currently has a soft setup for Lincoln bumps, but I have stiffer springs if wanted. While I did not run the car with sway bars, I do have several front bars and a stock rear bar. The suspension also has custom camber plates for the front and rear that allow for more camber than you really need to run. I also have additional front camber plates if you would like to add some caster with the camber. The lower camber arms in the front also have poly bushings in them. The rear suspension links are all new stock parts.

The exhaust is a custom design that I did with the help of Burns Stainless and PPE. It is a 4-2-1 header with a high flow cat, and a straight through 6.5 muffler. The car averages 88 to 89 db on the SCCA sound meters and is very comfortable to ride long distances in. The intake is also a PPE creation.

The engine is controlled by a Greddy EMU setup as a piggy back controller with a CamCon setup to control the VVTI. There was extensive dyno tuning done by Church Automotive in CA. The car runs perfectly on long trips. The Greddy has a custom mount behind the driver seat with fan for ventilation. The car also has Okada Ignition coil packs.

The transmission has a Blackwatch racing custom setup OS Giken. This Giken was designed for the Lotus that has the same transmission and setup to react properly for autocross.

The wheels are 949 racing gen 4 wheels in silver. The fronts and rears are a 15x9. Both sizes have a full set of rims so you can have two sets of wheels and tires to run. The front is a 225/45R15 Rival S, and the rear is a 245/40R15 Rival S. Also have a set of 15x9 Advan wheels with Hoosier A7's on them.

The seats are Corbeau FX1-Pro seats on Bride FG type rails. The driver seat has a Suede finish and the passenger seat is cloth.

The headlights are new. There are new Go-Pro mounts on the front and rear of the car. The tow hook mounts in the rear have also been reinforced, so you can tow long distances with the car without worry.

Additional parts: Two-R-Us tow bar, TRD front strut tower brace, multiple spare front and rear shock setups, along with a bunch of misc spare stock parts.

The only bad thing I can think of on the car is the front bumper, but hey it is an autocross car. If you hit enough cones, then eventually it will do some damage.

Well over $30k spent on the car over the years. I am looking to get $10,000 for the lot with all the parts. PM me if you are interested for the whole lot.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S - 2019 CAM S Series Champion, 2019 CAM Driver of the Year
2002 MR2 Spyder - STR - 2014 Mineral Wells ProSolo STR winner (For Sale)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
APEXLVR
post Sep 13 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1346

This makes me sad. Really cool car, so much bang for the buck. Good luck with sale!

--------------------
Travis Kelley

2012 Specialized Crux Comp Apex: .917hp / 48.16 ft-lbs at 100RPM

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Sep 13 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (APEXLVR @ Sep 13 2016, 04:04 PM) *
This makes me sad. Really cool car, so much bang for the buck. Good luck with sale!

If you watch the video closely, when the car goes by, the license plate says, TRAVIS! wink.gif

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 13 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #4

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Sep 13 2016, 05:44 PM) *
If you watch the video closely, when the car goes by, the license plate says, TRAVIS! wink.gif

Aha!!! You're right.

And the bumper sticker to the right says "Over Deana's Dead Body". tongue.gif

So......... the end on another era for Arizona Autocrossing. What's next for "Sliding Rock?". huh.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Started autocrossing in *1971* with FCCA and CCC

+Quote Post
HarryB
post Sep 14 2016, 07:20 AM
Post #5

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 36

Lovely car, well developed, a serious bargain considering all the work that was done.
You can't find a used high mile street MR-S in this good a condition without spending almost as much.
Minus the parts, development and spares.
Regionally competitive for most.

Nationally competitive if driven by Rock and Company.
Deana would be fast in this too.
She should sell that ugly unreliable primer looking hunk she's racing to me at an enormous discount.
Travis doesn't like it.

I fully expect David to come up with something new and unusual.
That McLaren 570S is a bargain these days.
That is his way.

Takes the path less travelled and makes it look easy.

Good luck with the sale.
Scott this has you written all over it.

--------------------
Harry Berzes
Prescott, Arizona
Golden Dogs Racing
16 Mazda MX5 Jet Black Mica GT
All leather, still comfortable, not obnoxious, STR-lite

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Sep 14 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Sep 13 2016, 06:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Jahoney @ Sep 13 2016, 05:44 PM) *

Aha!!! You're right.

And the bumper sticker to the right says "Over Deana's Dead Body". tongue.gif

So......... the end on another era for Arizona Autocrossing. What's next for "Sliding Rock?". huh.gif

LOL!!!!

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Sep 14 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #7

I am still working on deciding what to do next. I don't think it will be the path least traveled again. Too many fun cars already in the garage.

BTW if anyone is interested in buying it and wants to try it out at the next Marana event the car will be there unless it gets sold before then.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer
2001 Corvette Z06 - CAM-S - 2019 CAM S Series Champion, 2019 CAM Driver of the Year

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 14 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #8

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

OMG!!!!!

Yet another S2000 or new Miata!!!!!🙄🙄🙄

At least get a different color, OK?😄😄😄

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Started autocrossing in *1971* with FCCA and CCC

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Sep 14 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Sep 14 2016, 11:19 AM) *
OMG!!!!!

Yet another S2000 or new Miata!!!!!🙄🙄🙄

At least get a different color, OK?😄😄😄

I have not gone there yet, but I have thought about it.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Oct 13 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Test drove some new cars this past weekend and would really like the Spyder to go to a new home. If you are interested in get a ride alone to help convince the purchase the car will be at Marana all this weekend. Co-drives are available to potential buyers.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer

+Quote Post
Dave Rock
post Dec 6 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #11

Update the post with different parts and new price. Offer still stands if an interested party wants to drive it at a local Marana Event. I can also deliver the car to the greater Phoenix, Tucson, Sierra Vista area. I also have the tire trailer that I use with this that is also going up for sale too.

--------------------
Amsoil Dealer

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2020 - 04:36 AM