IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Maxwell's Are Going!, 2017 Clifton Hillclimb!
S. Roberts
post Aug 12 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 172

Just took a peek at the entries for the Clifton Hillclimb -- Dave and Lindsay Maxfield's are entered!!

Way to go!

Don and I have many fun memories of Clifton. He was awarded, and we still have, the perpetual trophy after being the first person to win overall three times; in 1967 with a 289 Cobra belonging to John and Paul Nygaard, 1968 in his 289 Cobra, and 1971 in a Lola T-190 Formula 5000. Also had class wins in 1969 with a friend's 1965 Mustang Notchback, in 1970 with our Shelby GT-350, and 1975 in a friend's Cobra Daytona Coupe.

In those days, most of the entrants were camping (and partying!) in the parking lot right at the start line. One year we had motorcycle races, at night by the moonlight. We had the only motorcycle with a headlight. Don was behind two guys on a knobby-tired bike; the passenger slipped off - onto the knobby tire. Thump, thump, thump, then screaming. Another entrant had flown his plane to Clifton, so airlifted Dave back to Phoenix to be checked out. He lived, and actually fathered a son a few years after that -- much to the surprise of the rest of us! To this day, we all still make sure Dave remembers that incident.

Kudos to Dave and Lindsay for branching out beyond autocrossing - and remember one side of the road goes into the mountain and the other side of the road goes…….down, down, down……… laugh.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DaveM
post Aug 26 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 112

laugh.gif

That's MaxFIELD not Maxwell Sharon! You must have confused us with the coffee company!

By-the-way, we'll be tackling a number of Hill Climb events back home next year ... Home being the Isle of Man.

Dave

--------------------
Dave Maxfield
Immanagh

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Aug 26 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (DaveM @ Aug 26 2017, 12:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

That's MaxFIELD not Maxwell Sharon! You must have confused us with the coffee company!
By-the-way, we'll be tackling a number of Hill Climb events back home next year ... Home being the Isle of Man.
Dave

BTW, just don't enter that Motorcycle Race........ ph34r.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2001 Mustang V-6 CAM-C (I coulda had a V-8?)
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
DaveM
post Aug 27 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #4

Unfortunately I am too old and way too slow so I leave the motorcycle racing to my brother-in-law. He has been a regular competitor there for years. My two wheel adventures have been on bicycles only!

--------------------
Dave Maxfield
Immanagh

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Aug 27 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (DaveM @ Aug 26 2017, 01:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

Dave

Oh, crap - sorry. It always puzzled me that you never gave free cans of coffee grounds to the autocross class winners; now I know why. laugh.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
DaveM
post Sep 30 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #6

Well, if anyone is interested enough to look at the results from this weekend's Clifton Hill Climb, there will be no times for us Maxfield's. Three weeks ago while finishing off a couple of final tweeks on the Miata, I suffered a heart attack. I actually "died" twice and only through the quick recognition of my problem by my wife (a registered nurse) the fantastic response of the Gilbert Fire Department and the truly wonderful Doctors and Nurses at the Banner Heart Hospital, I would be taking the "Dirt Nap!"

Obviously, neither Lindsay nor I could attend the Hill Climb, and we're truly bummed .... however, I think that having "died" twice, I might qualify for a role in that TV series, "The Walking Dead!"

Take Care

--------------------
Dave Maxfield
Immanagh

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Sep 30 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (DaveM @ Sep 30 2017, 11:39 AM) *
Well, if anyone is interested enough to look at the results from this weekend's Clifton Hill Climb, there will be no times for us Maxfield's. Three weeks ago while finishing off a couple of final tweeks on the Miata, I suffered a heart attack. I actually "died" twice and only through the quick recognition of my problem by my wife (a registered nurse) the fantastic response of the Gilbert Fire Department and the truly wonderful Doctors and Nurses at the Banner Heart Hospital, I would be taking the "Dirt Nap!"

Obviously, neither Lindsay nor I could attend the Hill Climb, and we're truly bummed .... however, I think that having "died" twice, I might qualify for a role in that TV series, "The Walking Dead!"

Take Care

Dave (MaxFIELD!) --

Now that is probably the best excuse E-V-E-R to miss a racing event. ohmy.gif

Retirement can be a dangerous "occupation". smile.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 30 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #8

The phrase “Live to fight another day” comes to mind.👍

I had heard that tweaking Miatas was hard, but I did not realize how hard.😉

Something *I* have learned is that growing old and maintaining enough health to do what you love is WORK!

Yeah, I’m talking a healthy diet, a treadmill that is not just a clothes hanger, staying active and more. Who knew?

Very glad to hear you made it through, let’s get together and compare chest “zippers” sometime.😄

Get your ass up and moving as soon as you can. There is a lot left to do.🏁😎

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
BWeikert
post Oct 1 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 42

QUOTE (DaveM @ Sep 30 2017, 12:39 PM) *

Take Care

Glad you made it Dave. Sorry you had to miss the hillclimb, but given what happened I would say things certainly could have turned out a lot worse!

Take care of yourself, I'm sure your family would like you to stick around for many more years.

--------------------
Brian Weikert

+Quote Post
DaveM
post Oct 1 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #10

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

My heart seems to be in good shape, perhaps a legacy of 30 plus years of racing bicycles, its just my plaque filled arteries that are the problem! Guess I chose the wrong parents! Fortunately I didn't need serious surgery, just a few stents were inserted. During recovery I actually had an external pump assisting my heart, kinda like an external scavenge pump blink.gif !

Hope to see you all soon ...

Dave

--------------------
Dave Maxfield
Immanagh

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Oct 1 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (DaveM @ Oct 1 2017, 10:27 AM) *
My heart seems to be in good shape, perhaps a legacy of 30 plus years of racing bicycles, its just my plaque filled arteries that are the problem! Guess I chose the wrong parents! Fortunately I didn't need serious surgery, just a few stents were inserted. During recovery I actually had an external pump assisting my heart, kinda like an external scavenge pump blink.gif !

All things considered, you are actually very lucky in many ways. I think stents are placed through the veins and arteries, so no big scar for you? smile.gif

So you should be back in no time. wink.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 02:44 PM