IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 mini cooper base wheel and tire options, 2010 mini cooper base wheel and tire options
Gareth
post Nov 7 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 189373

Hi all

i have a 2010 mini cooper base model. I want to know what size wheels and tires i can go to and still stay is HS. My car has 15" wheels but some 2010 minis came with 16" and 17" wheels. It appears that 16" and 17" wheels were available from mini as options on the base car, see http://libraryofmotoring.info/facts/wheels/

I have been told that the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires are a great tire for the mini and they are available in many sizes. Any other tire suggestions?

what is the best wheel size, tire size, wheel offset, combination for a mini cooper base model that will keep me in HS?

thanks
Gareth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 7 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 171788

I use the RE-71Rs on my Miata. Only other tires I've tried are cheap all-seasons and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs. I wouldn't go back and use any different tires now that I have the RE-71s, they grip better than anything else I've ever used. You can get them as 15s too, so you could even use your current rims.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
2014 Chevy Spark Daily Driver
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Nov 7 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 1122

The rules say you can go up and down in diameter 1" from the factory... so if the wheels you have are 5.5x15, you could go up or down to 5.5x14 or 5.5x16. As for if the other wheels are eligible, it's a matter of it it's a dealer option or a factory option... if they only came from the factory with the 5.5x15 wheels, that's what you're stuck with. Any dealer installed options don't count... offset has to stay pretty much the same as what the stock wheel has for HS. There is a little bit of play in there, but for the most part plan on staying with the stock offset.

As for what tire size would work best.... I'm sure Josh or Chris could chime in, but going to a larger tire will drop your acceleration, which is probably the weakest point on that car to begin with. And besides, a 15" tire will be cheaper, means more track time =D And just moving up to the re-71 will be a huge gain in grip, you may find you are fine. I'd personally say get a set of re-71's in your current size and wear them out. Don't need to spend more money than you half to. But like I said, wait for Josh or Chris to comment, they'll probably be your best info for Mini questions and can give you better info that I can smile.gif

And for reference, what tire are you running on now?

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Nov 7 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 189373

i'm currently running nito NT05 205/50 R15 on stock mini wheels but they are getting worn so i'm looking for better options.

+Quote Post
civil
post Nov 7 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #5

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 1146

Get a set of RE-71R's in the 205/50 or a set of BFG Rival S 1.5 in the 205/50. If you're not looking to move out of HS then just stick with that size and move into the faster tires and learn on them. The cost between the tires is $10.

Both tire's are great. The difference is the Rival can handle more multitasking. The RE-71R has a great turn in feel. Both have the best lateral grip.

--------------------
Stephen King - A.K.A. "Sue"

90' Miata - STS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:17 AM