2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phone Holder to Record Runs
Project.D
post Nov 12 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 171788

So I saw one of the videos from the last run was recorded using an iPhone mounted on a dashboard. I think it's a great idea, and I'd like to do it myself at the next event. I found this holder for mine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-Dashboa...UGW6fQLg1B8ATOw

Anyone think I'll have a problem with this one with tech or falling off my dashboard? If so, is there any holder that's better than others to buy?

--------------------
TJ Triolo
2014 Chevy Spark Daily Driver
1990 Miata STS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 12 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 4

That likely was me. Got it at Best Buy, and looks very similar to the one you found.

When I used it with my Mazda3, the windshield was verticle enough I could mount it there. I think it provides a better angle than the dashboard location (notice the prominent windshield wipers?)😉 The Mustang windshield angle would not allow that, so I tried the dashboard. Stuck like glue, solid as heck.

Some dashboards are not smooth, and the suction cup would not do well in that case.

Go and look at the other models offered at Best Buy (or somewhere). There is a variety. Some offer better range of adjustment than others, but might cost a little more. I like to touch before buying, donít favor mail order.

My Contour camera mount also does windshield or dash, assuming a viable dash surface. Be sure to run it past Tech when you first use it for a safety check.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2001 Mustang V-6 CAM-C (I coulda had a V-8?)
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
Project.D
post Nov 13 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 171788

Thanks Scott! Yep, it was your video. I was considering getting some kind of GoPro type camera, but I'd rather just use my phone since it's so much cheaper. I'll be sure to check Best Buy for one then.

--------------------
TJ Triolo
2014 Chevy Spark Daily Driver
1990 Miata STS

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Nov 13 2017, 08:25 AM
Post #4

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 1122

Just watch out, if the arm is to flimsy, the phone will bounce the entire run and give you crap for image quality. And if you are using your phone, there are a number of different data loggers you can get that will take gps and acceleramator data and line it up with your video. Some neat toys, if you're in to that 😁

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 13 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Dave H @ Nov 13 2017, 08:25 AM) *
Just watch out, if the arm is to flimsy, the phone will bounce the entire run and give you crap for image quality. And if you are using your phone, there are a number of different data loggers you can get that will take gps and acceleramator data and line it up with your video. Some neat toys, if you're in to that 😁

Good point on the sturdiness of the "arm". My model was $15 or less (I forget), and the tension holding the phone is stout, as the video shows. That's why I like to hold what I'm buying in my hands.

While I have a Contour Roam camera, the iPhone is already with me, charged up, and provides more than adequate quality for my purposes. Just easier to use for my skill set. wink.gif

Dave, or someone else who knows, specifically what data loggers are you speaking of? Are these like Apps? You have exceeded my level of understanding and expertise. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team
Be decisive. Right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Nov 13 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #6

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 1122

Yup, apps that you can run. I haven't used an iPhone in a while, but a quick search on Android pulled up a few. I'm sure there are similar apps on iPhone. The Android one I found was pretty slick, it could interface with an obd Bluetooth reader to pull car data, take video or control a GoPro or similar camera for you... It looks like it would overlay the data on the video as well. The Android one I found was called track addict... Never used it before my self, but it looks interesting. I had a similar app a while ago that I used, but it looks like it's not in the app store anymore... I'll have to give this one a sit at the next event. On a quick search on my work phone, track addict has an iPhone version as well that's free, as well as a number of other paid apps that do similar things.

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
Michael Perry
post Nov 13 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 163855

I have one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ztechworld-Universal.../dp/B06XGWRX9V/

My specific one is under a different brand name, but the design is essentially the same. It works well as a basic mount (both for GPS and recording). It includes a mounting surface that is attached using double-sided foam tape to ensure a good suction if it doesn't work well with your dash.

Example (don't mind the focus being on my wiper blade): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZ3IfPfqFo

A lot of people use Harry's Lap Timer: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios

If you want something focused on autocross, you'll need to get an Android device and run Solostorm: https://www.petreldata.com/

+Quote Post
JW1
post Nov 13 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 18

I use a Panavise suction cup mount as I don't want the thing to come off. It is really solid compared to other mounts that I have used.

As far software goes, I use Track Addict (free) along with 10MHz GPS and a bluetooth OBD adapter.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 13 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Michael Perry @ Nov 13 2017, 03:28 PM) *

This design is very close to the one I have.

Michael, can you get it to mount on the windshield? I couldn't on the Mustang. From your video, seems you have the same wiper problem I did. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
Michael Perry
post Nov 13 2017, 11:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 13 2017, 04:02 PM) *
QUOTE (Michael Perry @ Nov 13 2017, 03:28 PM) *

This design is very close to the one I have.

Michael, can you get it to mount on the windshield? I couldn't on the Mustang. From your video, seems you have the same wiper problem I did. rolleyes.gif

I don't see why you couldn't, though I haven't tested it. The base is a tacky material with a lever actuated suction cup, so as long as you're using a relatively flat section of windshield, it should work. I'll see if it will work tomorrow morning (too lazy to do it now).

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 14 2017, 06:15 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Michael Perry @ Nov 13 2017, 11:05 PM) *
I don't see why you couldn't, though I haven't tested it. The base is a tacky material with a lever actuated suction cup, so as long as you're using a relatively flat section of windshield, it should work. I'll see if it will work tomorrow morning (too lazy to do it now).

It's not the suction power, it's the "angle of the dangle". tongue.gif

I couldn't get mine to point in the right direction on the very angled Mustang windshield.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
mister2
post Nov 14 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 140721

As the discussion turns to details like windshield angle and device sturdiness, let me play devil's advocate for GoPros and clones, and illustrate with my Miata's example. Not a thread jack, just perspective.

With its extremely raked windshield, I had to find a mount that could hold a recording device vertical enough to be shooting the track instead of the sky. I also have very little space on my dashboard. In fact, very little space to look out through, for things like approaching cones, for instance.

So I really needed a small, light device that would be stay secure under directional forces and have minimal vision obstruction. There's any number of "action" cameras out there for < $100 complete with secure suction cup and other accessories to get it pointed right. Much smaller and lighter than a cell phone, I'm not worried about it coming adrift and smacking me in the face while doing a slalom. Here's what mine looks like, mounted to the right of the rear view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwaD7Bq8_Y

I understand the point of phones being everything for everyone. But like my daily driven car that also has to autocross on weekends, there are tradeoffs to a do-everything device, and IMHO, this includes cell phones. Can't do anything about the car, but I can, about the camera.

Just sayin'

PS and for the more professional content producers who want to show everything about everything simultaneously, there's better, more platform-integrated (pre-, production, and post-), data acquisition, than a cell phone. smile.gif

--------------------
Victor Lim
ES '03 Miata
HS '04 Sentra, gone but not forgotten

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 14 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (mister2 @ Nov 14 2017, 09:03 AM) *
So I really needed a small, light device that would be stay secure under directional forces and have minimal vision obstruction. There's any number of "action" cameras out there for < $100 complete with secure suction cup and other accessories to get it pointed right. Much smaller and lighter than a cell phone, I'm not worried about it coming adrift and smacking me in the face while doing a slalom.

The phone mounts available are mostly strong and very secure. No one in SCCAForums has any issues or worries with such (SCCAForums Link), and in fact, one guy even attached his phone to his rear view mirror with rubber bands (!) in his Mini Cooper and got a great video. They do recommend staying away from any mounts that might have extended arms. Shorter is better. Vibration is the major concern.

My Contour Roam has a heavier mount, but the camera is heavier than my iPhone.

So not to worry, but to each their own. I find the phone camera a lot simpler to use.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
Michael Perry
post Nov 14 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #14

It sticks to my windshield on the S2000 and the windshield sits relatively upright (part of the reason my coefficient of drag is so bad). The ball allows you to lock it in a useable angle.

+Quote Post
flawlessninja
post Nov 15 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 175132

After going through a few different phone mounts with no luck, some track guys on the Evo forums recommended this Samsung mount for me and I opted for the wireless charging version. The suction cup is extremely strong and since there is only one point of adjustability the phone stays put and doesn't bounce or shake much. I mount it under my rearview mirror and have no issues with visibility.

Old event with phone + GoPro footage: https://youtu.be/sc9zFL5drEs?t=14s

To save you a headache, stay away from iOttie mounts and all those magnetic mounts on Amazon... they have a ton of great (sponsored) reviews, but all of the ones I bought failed within 2 events.

RAM mounts are great, too, but kind of spendy.

--------------------
Stephen Dickens
2012 Mitsubishi Evo X | WTF Tuned

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 18 2017, 07:17 AM
Post #16

OK, so I have my iPhone to record the video, downloaded "TrackAddict" (free version), so how do I get the App to recognize and "talk to" my video?

Clues? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
dysmike
post Nov 19 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 174541

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Nov 18 2017, 07:17 AM) *
OK, so I have my iPhone to record the video, downloaded "TrackAddict" (free version), so how do I get the App to recognize and "talk to" my video?

Clues? rolleyes.gif

Go Pro?

You can set it up in More Optons, Video, External

But you have to have the Go Pro connected to your phone over wifi first.

Wish I'd seen this yesterday, would have been easier to show you laugh.gif

--------------------
mike stenson
2016 mazda mx-5 - CS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 19 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #18

Thank you Mike.

I actually finally read the instructions, found out that it tapes the run inside the App. The App accesses the camera.

Not impressed with the free version, yet.

I have a Contour Roam or iPhone. No Go Pro.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Terlingua Racing Team

+Quote Post
dysmike
post Nov 19 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 174541

Sure thing, I've been seriously tempted to pick up a cheap android tablet just to run Solostorm. Trackaddict is OK, but getting the data overlayed is always.. well, it's always off.. and I've yet to really get synching the two down to a science.

--------------------
mike stenson
2016 mazda mx-5 - CS

+Quote Post
mister2
post Nov 20 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 140721

QUOTE (dysmike @ Nov 19 2017, 07:09 PM) *
.... but getting the data overlayed is always.. well, it's always off.. and I've yet to really get synching the two down to a science.

Miniaturization tempts manufacturers to build in synchro (and many other) features, but that's all based on time code. And the only sure way I know to synchro time code is on a post machine, which will do it frame by frame.

Time code + post machine = good synchro And that goes for more overlays than there are gps, engine function/monitors, as well. Not saying it can't be done in a more compact, track-oriented config, but given today's tech will still be expensive, so probably not *free*.

--------------------
Victor Lim
ES '03 Miata
HS '04 Sentra, gone but not forgotten

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:18 AM