2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Summer Solo site
Chuckster
post May 10 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 59

I think I have a problem with reaching the right people on this topic.
First of all, a new site was paved in Prescott Valley that has the nicest location and pavement quality that I've found to date.
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry166190

It is in the downtown business district of PV and part of the Prescott Valley Event Center complex and just minutes away from many motels and eating places.
I have contact info.

For weeks now, I've tried to reach Jim Boller and Kevin Venisnik with no luck using the forum tools.
Can someone email or IM me with good contact info?

On a more general note:

Are people in the AZ Region still interested in a place to run at cooler temperatures during the 4 month shut down in Phoenix?

Note also that Sierra Vista Municipal airport became UNavailable this year and apparently the August event date may still be tentative.

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

--------------------
Chuck Voboril

Every cloud has a silver lining
(except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveAshcraft
post May 10 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 407

QUOTE (Chuckster @ May 10 2018, 01:03 PM) *
I think I have a problem with reaching the right people on this topic.
First of all, a new site was paved in Prescott Valley that has the nicest location and pavement quality that I've found to date.
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry166190

It is in the downtown business district of PV and part of the Prescott Valley Event Center complex and just minutes away from many motels and eating places.
I have contact info.

For weeks now, I've tried to reach Jim Boller and Kevin Venisnik with no luck using the forum tools.
Can someone email or IM me with good contact info?

On a more general note:

Are people in the AZ Region still interested in a place to run at cooler temperatures during the 4 month shut down in Phoenix?

Note also that Sierra Vista Municipal airport became UNavailable this year and apparently the August event date may still be tentative.

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

Hi,
I live in Paulden. I am definitely interested. If there is anything I can do to support this effort please send me an email. steveneashcraft@yahoo.com
Prescott Valley is only 1.5 hrs from AMP or 2 hrs from WildHorse or 30 minutes from Paulden. Let's do it. I am a safety steward so we will have that covered.
I'm surprised you haven't heard back from either Kevin or Jim. Did you IM them -- of coursel you did. Let me know if you want me to bug them.
Steve

--------------------
Steve Ashcraft
1990 CSP Miata
Team Wrinkles

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post May 10 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4

Steve and Chuck,

I too really miss the variety of Summer Series that we always used to do. I was personally not a fan of the evening version (5:00 to midnight), although these were among the largest events ever hosted. Often larger attendance than our daytime Series events. Maybe people thought it was like the Beeline Drags? tongue.gif

My favorites were the early morning start versions (like Marana does). Or those we hosted for a time in Taylor (two days). The May Special Event at the Bondurant smaller (limited) Road Course I miss greatly.

I hope we can find a way to produce some summer events. I'm also a SSS, and could help with something in or around Prescott. Or early mornings or the Bondo Road Course.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2001 Mustang V-6 (aka: "Hank")

+Quote Post
Chuckster
post May 10 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Thanks Steve and Scott,
Having talent like yours available early on event day may help greatly on something remote like this.
I'd also offer my services to help with course design/layout. Perhaps provide a safe parking spot for the equipment truck the day before-or whatever.

BTW, the old night events at the long narrow Bondo pad almost killed me back in the day...I got there early as was allowed on one 114 F day to set up.
That was about 3 to 4 pm and by 4:30 had a case of the chills and was dizzy.
-Chuck

--------------------
Chuck Voboril

(except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post May 10 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Chuckster @ May 10 2018, 02:17 PM) *
BTW, the old night events at the long narrow Bondo pad almost killed me back in the day...I got there early as was allowed on one 114 F day to set up.
That was about 3 to 4 pm and by 4:30 had a case of the chills and was dizzy.

That was *my* issue with the "cooler" evening events. Yes indeed, once the sun went down it cooled off (relatively) quickly, but the setup people were subjected to the hottest part of the day. Started at 114' plus, and ended at maybe 85'. OTOH, the early daytime events, starting around the much cooler 80', and finishing about noonish at only 100' made a lot more sense to me.

I appreciate and therefore support and attend the summer Marana events for that exact reason. I'm usually packed and on the way home by 12noon or so. I would do the same for Phoenix, if they ever decide to revisit summer events. Or, something in Prescott too, about the same distance for us as Marana. Wouldn't even have to be an overnight for many.

Hope Kevin and Jim and others give these ideas some thought. cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Dave H
post May 10 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #6

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 1122

Thanks for the lead, Chuck! You wouldn't happen to have any sort of contact info for the site, would you?

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
Chuckster
post May 10 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #7

"Day before" event setup was my favorite way to do it when I lived in the Bay area.
Not always permitted, but it sure made the course setup a lot more relaxed and ensured a higher quality finished product.
We would have a helpful "duffer" make a run or a partial in a critical area to check cone directed course clarity- sometimes made massive mods as a result.

Yes, Dave on contact lead.
Ask for Scott at this # 928-583-6095.
This is the Prescott Valley Event Center main office number.
I hope to get a direct number for you from my leaving a message there this afternoon, but feel free to try this one.

--------------------
Chuck Voboril

+Quote Post
HarryB
post May 11 2018, 09:08 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 36

14 minutes from my house? Scandalous.
That’s a real non-starter.
LOL
I just walked the lot.
Florentine Rd to the south, Glassford Hill on the west side.
It’s pretty. The light poles 120’ apart.
A small correction, The PV Super Walmart is directly across the street.
So is the new Advance AutoParts.
Cool.

--------------------
Harry Berzes
Prescott, Arizona
Golden Dogs Racing
16 Mazda MX5 Jet Black Mica GT
All leather, way too stock. For now.

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post May 11 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #9

So, sounds like Chuck and Harry are "on board" with exploring this. cool.gif

Of course they would need an AZSolo Officer to oversee/authorize, since they aren't actually Officers. Times past it usually took someone from the area who was known to the remote entity to facilitate communications. Not just some strangers from out of town on the phone. In Taylor I think it was Steve E and perhaps others?

Really hoping this goes somewhere. more_cowbell.gif popcorn.gif beer.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post May 11 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 40

agree with Scott that a “local” is the best way to be successful as was Jim Barks (a local) was for the club in Taylor.

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post May 11 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #11

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 172

Looking at old postings, there is one from Jim Harnish, who also lives in the area, offering his assistance in obtaining a summer location for AZ Region special events.

Other than a single posting by Kim Kemper and Dave Hurt, is any other Steering Committee member aware that this discussion is going on as I haven't seen any other input from those "in charge"? Surely it should be a group discussion, instead of those almost solely without any authority for approval of an event such as this.

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
jwharnish
post May 12 2018, 10:37 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1076

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ May 11 2018, 06:25 PM) *
Looking at old postings, there is one from Jim Harnish, who also lives in the area, offering his assistance in obtaining a summer location for AZ Region special events.

Other than a single posting by Kim Kemper and Dave Hurt, is any other Steering Committee member aware that this discussion is going on as I haven't seen any other input from those "in charge"? Surely it should be a group discussion, instead of those almost solely without any authority for approval of an event such as this.

I do live nearby the site, go by it on a regular basis. The lot does have a fair amount of activity on it, with the lot being the main parking area for the "Event Center" in PV. Since the site has a fair amount of usage, the lot is in good shape. Never walked it when it was vacant, maybe time to do that.
I am in Mexico now, but will be returning toward the end of the week, and would be willing to make contact with the center to explore it's availability as a possible site. I'll check it out once I return on Friday, and at least find the correct people to discuss this with.

--------------------
Jim Harnish
88 CRX Si HS

+Quote Post
Dave H
post May 14 2018, 06:53 AM
Post #13

If you could check that out, I'd appreciate it Jim!

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post May 14 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #14

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 40

please take a couple of photos of the site esp boundaries and any solid objects, thanks!

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
Chuckster
post May 17 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #15

A lot of detail has been sitting on my original post for a full month now- along with all the pictures
You can see the layout and obstructions.
Go to AZ Solo Forums > General Discussion > SCCA Solo discussion and the pinned Autocros Site topic for pictures and other info.
or click on http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry166190

I've tried and tried to contact the AZ Region site liaison James Bolles as well as the Chairman Kevin Venisnik.
Emails and IMs sent from this forum.
I then started this thread asking for help contacting them.
I hope James and Kevin are OK and there is simply a problem with receiving Email or messages from this forum.

It is fine if others look it over too,
but I think we have been at the point for about a month now where someone could call the contact I listed.
--if indeed AZ Region is interested.

Previous post: "Yes, Dave on contact lead.
Ask for Scott at this # 928-583-6095.
This is the Prescott Valley Event Center main office number."

I've been over there about 6 times and walked and drove on it.
It's about 15 minutes from my house.

The obstructions are a low single chain border fence which is one chain strung pipe to pipe about 20 inches high drooping in between,
so decapitating an open car driver is not as issue (as it is with a car going through a tall chain link- as has indeed happened in Phoenix- but car was a coupe).

There is about 5 feet of dirt between the pavement edge and that perimeter fence.
There 3 driveways to it N, S , and E -- none on the West or Glassford Hill Rd. side.
The driveways also are lined with the same chain
There are no sidewalks on the N, W and S sides.

The light poles are the other obstruction.

About 150 ft between the light poles north to south with 5 rows and about 100 ft. of lot beyond that on each side.,
About 200 ft between rows going the other way with 4 rows
2 paved parking lots across the street might be available for pit parking.

I have a hundred foot tape measure and can take exact measurements --if anyone is actually interested.

and last...Barks "discovered" the Taylor site, but I was the one who drove up there from where I used to live in Fountain Hills and took all the pictures.
They are probably still somewhere on this forum.

--------------------
Chuck Voboril

+Quote Post
Dave H
post May 18 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #16

Thanks for doing all the work on this Chuck smile.gif With summer coming, timing is getting hard to get people for this, but with Jim Harnish back in town today we can get someone local to contact the event center and see what the costs and availability are. Hopefully we'll be able to get something in place!

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post May 18 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Dave H @ May 18 2018, 10:27 AM) *
Thanks for doing all the work on this Chuck smile.gif With summer coming, timing is getting hard to get people for this, but with Jim Harnish back in town today we can get someone local to contact the event center and see what the costs and availability are. Hopefully we'll be able to get something in place!

Thanks Dave and Chuck for taking the time and effort to take care of The Club and our sport.

I really believe that AZSolo needs to restore some form of summer events, whether it's Tucson Marana-like (early morning starts) or this, an event or two in Prescott. In most of our history we had always done so. As you are demonstrating, just takes a little time and effort (and luck?) to make it happen.

Would this be a one event thing? Or maybe more?

I'm sure the presentation to the Site people would need to include insurance details, address noise concerns, safety preparations, like that. Also, we do as much for driver safety training as we do for the having fun with cars aspect.

Another thought that comes to mind is the site size vs parking for drivers and pit too. Room for both?

Thanks again from many of us. cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Chuckster
post May 18 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #18

Dave, sorry if I misunderstood.
I was afraid we were starting all over again just trying to get pictures so AZ Region could gauge interest.

Since this is a separate thread I started asking for help on contacting the steering committee honchos, I didn't repeat the pictures here.
The pinned site thread evidently doesn't catch people's attention.

Scott, here is an old aerial view(pre-paving of the big lot) that shows the lots across Main St. to the East on 2 sides of the event center.(N and E)
Those have some possibility to act as pit parking at the very least.

Don't know if crossing a street makes using the small one totally unusable as hot grid.
Main St, in between the lots, in spite of its name, has almost no traffic on the little stub that goes by the big event lot and conceivably could be closed off for us just past the event center.
That small lot closest to the large one we at interested in gets used for motorcycle driving education with pylons from time to time

The event center is pretty active, so scheduling something this late for us may be a problem.
On the other hand, small attendance events there can still go on simultaneously since they have those other 2 lots as well as a much larger one across Florentine to the south.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Chuck Voboril

+Quote Post
Dave H
post May 18 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #19

As for what type of event, that mostly depends on cost, availability, and so on... I'd love to see a 2 day style event, but would the rest of the club and the financials support that? I dunno yet smile.gif Once we get more details of what it'll cost and when we'd have access, then we can talk about what our options are.

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
jwharnish
post May 18 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1076

QUOTE (jwharnish @ May 12 2018, 11:37 AM) *
QUOTE (S. Roberts @ May 11 2018, 06:25 PM) *

I do live nearby the site, go by it on a regular basis. The lot does have a fair amount of activity on it, with the lot being the main parking area for the "Event Center" in PV. Since the site has a fair amount of usage, the lot is in good shape. Never walked it when it was vacant, maybe time to do that.
I am in Mexico now, but will be returning toward the end of the week, and would be willing to make contact with the center to explore it's availability as a possible site. I'll check it out once I return on Friday, and at least find the correct people to discuss this with.

Went over to site today, but there is a home and garden event there this weekend. 200+ vendors there so a big deal. Will wait till next week (mon) to make contact.

--------------------
Jim Harnish
88 CRX Si HS

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: S. Roberts

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 10:45 AM