4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fall Steering Committee meeting, August 2nd at the Spoke and Wheel
Dave H
post Jul 8 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

Hi Everyone! We're going to be holding our fall Steering Committee meeting on August 2nd at the Spoke and Wheel. I believe the start time is at 6pm, but I'll update this post if I got that wrong. If you think there is anything the club needs to discuss at the meeting, now is the time to get it on the agenda. Also know that we are looking for a few new Steering Committee members! There will be a few positions opening up at the end of the year, if you have any interest in stepping up and helping the club out, this would be a fantastic time to jump in so you can shadow the current SC member till the end of the year.

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Jul 11 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 189839

QUOTE (Dave H @ Jul 8 2018, 09:02 AM) *
Hi Everyone! We're going to be holding our fall Steering Committee meeting on August 2nd at the Spoke and Wheel. I believe the start time is at 6pm, but I'll update this post if I got that wrong. If you think there is anything the club needs to discuss at the meeting, now is the time to get it on the agenda. Also know that we are looking for a few new Steering Committee members! There will be a few positions opening up at the end of the year, if you have any interest in stepping up and helping the club out, this would be a fantastic time to jump in so you can shadow the current SC member till the end of the year.

Dave

I would be interested in joining the steering committee let me know what you need from me, more then happy to help.

Scott Urich

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jul 13 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Dave H @ Jul 8 2018, 08:02 AM) *
Hi Everyone! We're going to be holding our fall Steering Committee meeting on August 2nd at the Spoke and Wheel. I believe the start time is at 6pm, but I'll update this post if I got that wrong. If you think there is anything the club needs to discuss at the meeting, now is the time to get it on the agenda.

Steering Committee: My discussion item is: lining the courses like the experienced autocrossers encounter at all SCCA National events -- including but not limited to the Solo Nationals.

Thank you. smile.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 13 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Jul 13 2018, 03:22 PM) *
Steering Committee: My discussion item is: lining the courses like the experienced autocrossers encounter at all SCCA National events -- including but not limited to the Solo Nationals.
Thank you. smile.gif

So, instead of going down the same pathway as before (Just say "No" wink.gif ), let's consider this - Look for a way to test this at the next event. Make it happen as an experiment to see just how hard this would be. Expect a little extra effort as we actually explore how this might be done. I believe there are a number of people who would like this to happen, as AZ Region had previously done for many years. Our courses were always lined, including those at AMP in the early days there. AMP does not forbid doing this.

I believe as much as possible has been done with course design to alleviate the higher than acceptable number of DNF's, especially among newer drivers. I suggest it's time to consider this option as a potential solution.

Thank you. cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Jul 13 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 64503

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jul 13 2018, 04:45 PM) *
QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Jul 13 2018, 03:22 PM) *
Thank you. smile.gif

So, instead of going down the same pathway as before (Just say "No" wink.gif ), let's consider this - Look for a way to test this at the next event. Make it happen as an experiment to see just how hard this would be. Expect a little extra effort as we actually explore how this might be done. I believe there are a number of people who would like this to happen, as AZ Region had previously done for many years. Our courses were always lined, including those at AMP in the early days there. AMP does not forbid doing this.

I believe as much as possible has been done with course design to alleviate the higher than acceptable number of DNF's, especially among newer drivers. I suggest it's time to consider this option as a potential solution.

Thank you. cool.gif

I would like to see this happen as well but you also have to keep in mind the number of folks actually setting up the course in the morning. On average, there is usually 3 maybe 4 of us setting up course. That usually takes up from the time we arrive (6am) til about 8am ( pending if there aren't any changes/adjustments or additions that the safety stewards may find).

If there are things to be added or changed that adds to the setup time. What about lining the course? Well you can't line the course until it is close to or approved by the safety stewards. Who's going to do that? The 3 or four that setup course? Then there is tech and registration. Course setup gets there all before this happens and if we have to line the course, how do we insure the course setup folks have enough time to register/tech and get an actual course walk in that doesn't involve setting up course? I dont mind putting in the work but these are just some things to think about with the thankless jobs that the setup/tear down folks may encounter.

If I am going to make a suggestion maybe have some folks help the course setup crew during chalking and line the course or portions of it during that time? By the way I hope that lining the course isn't an excuse to think that it will eliminate all DNFs because even I DNFd on a run at a national event this year.....and you guessed it....course was lined.

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 13 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #6

That's why we need to actually test this. Under today's conditions. BUT, know that it was never a problem before for well over twenty years with much less help. And it may be that there is some course setup streamlining that could occur. And, there are non-critical sections that could be anticipated as needing "clarification" (with white powder) at a very early time.

It takes me (as a SSS) less than ten minutes to walk and approve a course. I arrive early and start the walk as the course is being finished. I study the map in advance and have a handle on what to look for in advance of that day. We (SSS) also discuss in the course design Forum, in advance. Rarely are there any major surprises. Kim runs a tight ship there.

Finally, there has never been any promise that lining courses will cure any and all driving ills. Nothing will. But logic and long experience with both systems tells me that it will eliminate MANY problems. Would especially help the newer drivers (and Karts wink.gif ). Ever try to see the course down that low? tongue.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Jul 13 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #7

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 64503

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Jul 13 2018, 10:10 PM) *
That's why we need to actually test this. Under today's conditions. BUT, know that it was never a problem before for well over twenty years with much less help. And it may be that there is some course setup streamlining that could occur. And, there are non-critical sections that could be anticipated as needing "clarification" (with white powder) at a very early time.

It takes me (as a SSS) less than ten minutes to walk and approve a course. I arrive early and start the walk as the course is being finished. I study the map in advance and have a handle on what to look for in advance of that day. We (SSS) also discuss in the course design Forum, in advance. Rarely are there any major surprises. Kim runs a tight ship there.

Finally, there has never been any promise that lining courses will cure any and all driving ills. Nothing will. But logic and long experience with both systems tells me that it will eliminate MANY problems. Would especially help the newer drivers (and Karts wink.gif ). Ever try to see the course down that low? tongue.gif

Its definitely worth a shot to see how it would play out. I'm not trying to discourage this by any means but just basing it off my my current experience from setting up course. Hopefully we can try lining this fall, and at the very least make lining critical sections the norm.

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox

+Quote Post
Scott Urich
post Jul 14 2018, 06:58 AM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 189839

I know I’m the noob and only done setup on about 5 courses now but I would be excited to have course lining, I think if we can get those critical areas approved earlier in the morning then we can get those areas lined and have plenty of time to get the remaining items setup and done...definitely worth a try in the fall😀👍

--------------------
Scott U
GS VW GTi

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 14 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Jul 14 2018, 06:58 AM) *
.........I think if we can get those critical areas approved earlier in the morning then we can get those areas lined and have plenty of time to get the remaining items setup and done...definitely worth a try in the fall😀👍

This.👍

I am not suggesting that should line bith sides completely. Not all areas/sections are “visually challenging”.

That said (and many today have never seen this), but lining courses creates a situation that requires many fewer cones to define a course. Could reduce setup time significantly. Takes a lot of extra cones to help the eyes “see” an imaginary line through a course.

Take an old map, and white out that “invisible” blue line that shows intended course direction. Then look at what’s left, and that would show to some degree the challenge facing any course designer. As well as drivers. wink.gif

Thanks guys.😎

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 14 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #10

As far as other topics for the SC Meeting August 2nd, I'll suggest:

Adding a prominent section on front Webpage for encouraging full SCCA Membership for autocrossers with information and links on how to accomplish that. Actively promote and invite new members. Share that it is financilly cost-effective to become a full member through cheaper entry fees.
Goals:
  1. Reduce the number of Temp memberships at each event as well as the associated paperwork
  2. To increase the pool of potential future SC members (SC Officers must be full SCCA members)
  3. To encourage a stronger sense of Community and belonging. Might encourage more to return.

Related to this, actively seek and refresh and update all known broken links and outdated information. This would take everyone's participation as no way can Jeff W find and fix everything on his own. When found, report to him for fixin'

Finally, update all pictures associated with our website to reflect current and especially newer participants. Again, strengthen the sense of belonging and community. Most of the pictures up are from years ago showing old-timers and some no longer autocrossing.

All for now. smile.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 14 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Say, what are the Open Steering Committee positions opening at the end of 2018? Please share so folks might want to know what to volunteer for. All should know that some prior volunteering and/or experience is usually needed for a main position, as well as attending AZ Region events for a few years for a sense of perspective. Serving as an assistant is excellent training.

Also....

Another Topic for the meeting..... Trophies and Trophy Celebrations.

That in fact is an Open SC Position. "AWARDS/BANQUET CHAIR" is how it's listed.

I filled that position for the past Series as a way to model what had been done before, and might be done going forward. Does take someone with a little time and being a good planner, and can be fun and rewarding. My "Model" was only one version, someone else might think of other ways to accomplish that. I would like to hand it off to someone new (and help as needed).

My thoughts and questions following the Awards Brunch I just did would be:
  1. If an Awards Ceremony is done, my thinking is today's folks would prefer that afternoon version rather than the historic evening "Banquet". Do others agree?
  2. Do todays trophy winners really want an event like the Brunch, or is just handing out at events good enough?
  3. Should we consider giving the option of a Free Entry or Gift Certificate to Trophy Winners in place of an actual trophy? (Know that sometimes ordering fewer trophies can be more expensive; i.e., volume discounts).

Things to think about going forward.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post
sstrickstein
post Jul 14 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 64642

QUOTE (Dave H @ Jul 8 2018, 09:02 AM) *

Dave,

I look forward to the meeting. I would like to offer myself to help with steering committee. See you at the meeting!

Steve Strickstein

--------------------
"Speed's just a question of money, How fast ya wanna go?"

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Jul 16 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Sharon, you'll be happy to know that I already had course lining on the agenda wink.gif

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Jul 16 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #14

So currently, I think these are the positions that need to be filled. I'm not 100% sure as I lost my notes from the last sc meeting, but these are the ones I'm pretty sure of currently:

- Chief of Waiver (come out in the morning and run/setup waiver in the morning and make sure that supplies/forms/wristbands and whatnot are ordered)
- Instructor Chief (help with novice course walk, organize instructors for novices at events, coordinate the driver's school in the fall)
- Onsite reg (Help with onsite reg changes, this involves some computer work, primarily working with excel)

And again, the goal would be that you shadow the current chief for the fall so in the spring 2019 series you have an idea of what's going on. I know there are a number of people looking for assistant chief's as well, so if you want to help out but don't want to jump in one of those positions, I'm sure there are other spots we can use the help with. Thanks!

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jul 16 2018, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Dave H @ Jul 16 2018, 08:40 AM) *
Sharon, you'll be happy to know that I already had course lining on the agenda wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Jul 23 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #16

Just a reminder, there's a little over a week till the steering committee meeting! If you have any other topics, please let me know now, I'd like to finalize the agenda by Thursday. Thanks!

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
JMP
post Jul 24 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 191370

I wish there were more events year round. Novice's could use more seat time without the long break between the spring and fall series.

--------------------
John Prieve

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Jul 24 2018, 07:14 AM
Post #18

We have done summer events in the past... they're really hard to do in the summer heat, we didn't have the attendance to support doing them. With that being said, they do run summer events down in Marana, in fact it looks like there is one this Sunday. They are usually good events, a lot of people from the Phoenix area make the drive down there.

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
JMP
post Jul 24 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 191370

How about organizing an Evolution Performance Driving School event in Arizona? Their 2 day autocross training course, challenge school, dial-in and data-video schools look interesting.

http://evoschool.com/schools.html

--------------------
John Prieve

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jul 25 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Are you going to post the Agenda here before the meeting?

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 04:03 AM