Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2019 Great Race, Looking for navigator
fahrvergnugen
post Jul 10 2018, 01:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 5

I just finished running the 2018 Great Race.... a vintage car rally from Buffalo, NY to Halifax, NS. Logged over 3400 miles on my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia in this event and finished 76th out of 117. The real test is actually finishing..... about 31 cars failed to make it through the whole event! Combination of endurance and rally skills. Check out www.greatrace.com for more details.

This is a car rally, except that you cannot use an odometer to determine if you are on time! It requires using only a precision speedometer and some dead reckoning skills to handle stops, turns, speed changes, etc. Sounds tricky, but we managed to get three Aces (zero error) out of 57 legs and many other legs within 10 seconds of ideal.

The 2019 Great Race runs from Riverside, Ca to Tacoma, WA and the whole event lasts about 11 days.

For 2019 I am prepping my 1949 Ford flathead V8 with performance mods and a complete mechanical rebuild. I will cover the entry fee and getting the car to the event and back. Navigator costs will be hotel rooms and any air flights if you do not accompany me getting to the start and finish in my Ford. Making a "donation" towards the entry fee would be appreciated...:-)

Let me know here or in PM.

Mark

Attached Image

--------------------
Mark Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Jul 10 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (fahrvergnugen @ Jul 10 2018, 02:57 AM) *
I just finished running the 2018 Great Race.... a vintage car rally from Buffalo, NY to Halifax, NS. Logged over 3400 miles on my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia in this event and finished 76th out of 117. The real test is actually finishing..... about 31 cars failed to make it through the whole event! Combination of endurance and rally skills. Check out www.greatrace.com for more details.

This is a car rally, except that you cannot use an odometer to determine if you are on time! It requires using only a precision speedometer and some dead reckoning skills to handle stops, turns, speed changes, etc. Sounds tricky, but we managed to get three Aces (zero error) out of 57 legs and many other legs within 10 seconds of ideal.

The 2019 Great Race runs from Riverside, Ca to Tacoma, WA and the whole event lasts about 11 days.

For 2019 I am prepping my 1949 Ford flathead V8 with performance mods and a complete mechanical rebuild. I will cover the entry fee and getting the car to the event and back. Navigator costs will be hotel rooms and any air flights if you do not accompany me getting to the start and finish in my Ford. Making a "donation" towards the entry fee would be appreciated...:-)

Let me know here or in PM.

Mark

Attached Image

Mark -- Way to go.....for a senior citizen! laugh.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 01:27 AM