Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine block hooks for a nb miata
Dave H
post Aug 9 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

On my 99 miata, the engine needs to come out... compression is way low and I think the valve stem seals are shot. However.... the hooks on the block are missing so I don't have anything to attach to. Is the easiest alternative just to put a bolt through where the hooks should be? Or should I really scrounge up a set of hooks and go down that route?

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Aug 9 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (Dave H @ Aug 9 2018, 11:01 AM) *
On my 99 miata, the engine needs to come out... compression is way low and I think the valve stem seals are shot. However.... the hooks on the block are missing so I don't have anything to attach to. Is the easiest alternative just to put a bolt through where the hooks should be? Or should I really scrounge up a set of hooks and go down that route?

I've just used bolts in the past. You just need to be a bit more cautious during the pull. Or you could use "eye" bolts instead of standard bolts.

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Aug 10 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 4

Gee, Iím sorry. SCCA mandates that anytime you have to pull an engine, that the original factory block hooks must be used. If you choose to use aftermarket hooks, that would cause you to be classed one category higher, as that would be viewed as ďan unfair competitive advantageĒ. Rules are rules.😂

The use of bolts in place of any engine hooks would require the proper waiver form being submitted to SCCA in advance pending a safety review before possible approval.🤔 tongue.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Jahoney
post Aug 10 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 174480

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Aug 10 2018, 04:50 PM) *
Gee, Iím sorry. SCCA mandates that anytime you have to pull an engine, that the original factory block hooks must be used. If you choose to use aftermarket hooks, that would cause you to be classed one category higher, as that would be viewed as ďan unfair competitive advantageĒ. Rules are rules.😂

The use of bolts in place of any engine hooks would require the proper waiver form being submitted to SCCA in advance pending a safety review before possible approval.🤔

There wasn't a good enough "rolls eyes" emoji, so.....

Attached Image

--------------------
Josh Mahoney
1990 Mazda Miata MX-5 STS
THE Jahoney

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 04:10 PM