Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Class is my Miata in?
Smithers0990
post Dec 5 2018, 07:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 190536

I just picked up a beater Miata for Rally-X and Auto-X. I cant seem to figure out what class its supposed to be in. 1993 Miata 1.6L. It has aftermarket RPF1 15x8 (i think) wheels, 225 width tire, racing beat rear sway bar and a cat back exhaust. Was told it has a torsen style limited slip differential but I have not verified yet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Dec 5 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

If it didn't have the torsen, I think it'd go to STS. If it's a stock vlsd, it's legal for STS, but chances are it doesn't work anymore, those didn't have a good lifespan. With the torsen, pretty sure it'll go to either STR or CSP. Interesting that it has the rear sway bar, not the front? You may want to look at putting a stock rear bar back on, usually with Miata's you replace the front bar. Regardless, STS/STR/CSP will let you replace both bars, it looks like the racing beat rear bar is intended to be used with one of their larger front bars. STR has a slightly softer pax, so I'd suggest running there smile.gif

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Dec 5 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Dave H @ Dec 5 2018, 08:45 AM) *
If it didn't have the torsen, I think it'd go to STS. If it's a stock vlsd, it's legal for STS, but chances are it doesn't work anymore, those didn't have a good lifespan. With the torsen, pretty sure it'll go to either STR or CSP. Interesting that it has the rear sway bar, not the front? You may want to look at putting a stock rear bar back on, usually with Miata's you replace the front bar. Regardless, STS/STR/CSP will let you replace both bars, it looks like the racing beat rear bar is intended to be used with one of their larger front bars. STR has a slightly softer pax, so I'd suggest running there smile.gif

STS requires 7.5" wheels. Locally no big deal, but that's the definition technically. Your competitors might not mind the variation.

Correct on no Torsen, so make sure. If it has one, you'd go to CSP, not STR. That year Miata not STR eligible (by rule). Again, locals might not care.

Larry Burrows knows all of this Miata stuff inside-out. He's done it all. wink.gif Or Stephen King.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Dec 5 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1122

Scott, did you mean to say STR instead of STX?

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Assistant Director
Chief of Course

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Dec 5 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Dave H @ Dec 5 2018, 03:09 PM) *
Scott, did you mean to say STR instead of STX?

Why, whatever do you mean? It clearly says "STR". wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

(Thank you). rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S H Street
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 09:52 PM