IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Summer autocross, Any interest in AZ Region hosting a Prescott Autocross this summer?
del
post Mar 13 2019, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 212397

It was suggested I start a dedicated topic for the discussion of the SCCA AZ Region hosting a summer autocross in Prescott. If the board gives me the go ahead I will start working with the powers to be up here to locate a suitable space for the event. Just a thought, as 4 months is a long time without a autocross fix.
Thanks
Del Bardell
928-350-8297
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HarryB
post Mar 13 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 36

Just a reminder...
Tucson runs all summer, they start early, and get done long before it gets to the hottest part of the day.
Usually scheduled around the last Sunday of the month.
Terrific large flat open site at Marana NW Regional Airport.
About 140 miles and 2 hours 25 minutes from your house.
Local zoning and terrain makes flat uncratered parking areas without lighting and landscaped islands an endangered species up here.
Ask Chuck, he knows.

--------------------
Harry Berzes
Prescott, Arizona
Golden Dogs Racing
16 Mazda MX5 Jet Black Mica GT
All leather, way too stock. For now.

+Quote Post
JW1
post Mar 15 2019, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 18

Del,

The challenge will be finding a suitable lot that is safe to run on. No one has bee successful finding this in Prescott when they have looked. There are some threads on here on the past year or two that you check for what locations have been looked at.

If you can find a location please let us know and post on here and then we can officially engage the site owner contractually. Appreciate the help trying to find a northern location as we haven't had one since the site in Taylor/Show Low is no longer suitable.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Mar 17 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 710

Jeff is right, find us the lot and we would be happy to check it out. We have looked up there and have yet to find one sad.gif

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
AZ Region Director
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Mar 17 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (HarryB @ Mar 13 2019, 08:43 AM) *
Just a reminder...
Tucson runs all summer, they start early, and get done long before it gets to the hottest part of the day.
Usually scheduled around the last Sunday of the month.

Highjack alert......😳

If not Prescott, or Flagstaff, or Taylor......Phoenix could do the same if there was the energy, determination, and manpower to resurrect the highly successful summer series we did for many years. They were very well-attended and popular.

Id like to see the summer events and special May event return. I think there are many others who would too.👍😎

But, also think it would take some new blood (members) to step up and assume some of the duties and chores needed. Looks like the interest is here.🙂

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Mar 18 2019, 05:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 710

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Mar 17 2019, 10:43 PM) *
Id like to see the summer events and special May event return. I think there are many others who would too.👍😎

But, also think it would take some new blood (members) to step up and assume some of the duties and chores needed. Looks like the interest is here.🙂

This is probably true, those of us that run the events all season long don't really care to do so with the added hurdle of doing it in the heat, mostly because setup at either 4pm or 4am is rather brutal. Plus we kind of enjoy having a couple months off of all the work.

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
AZ Region Director
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Mar 18 2019, 07:40 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (hatrick6 @ Mar 18 2019, 05:26 AM) *
This is probably true, those of us that run the events all season long don't really care to do so with the added hurdle of doing it in the heat, mostly because setup at either 4pm or 4am is rather brutal. Plus we kind of enjoy having a couple months off of all the work.

First, I completely agree with Josh. Especially he, as well as some other current Officers, have been asked to step up too many times and often for far too long to help make sure our events continue. That makes competing less fun for them.

Some History and Perspective:

Our summer events were among the largest events of the year, and especially the night ones. Sounds neat, but not for the setup crew (who typically started about 3-4pm). And, evening events had changing light conditions (dusk to extra lighting), starting about 6:00pm or so. I did not participate in those, but did the daytime versions. Setting up in the cooler mornings was not even close to "brutal".

Sounds like we have here an evolving "Crew" of interested parties who are exploring making something happen during the summer, if not up north, then perhaps even here. As I stated, more workers would be necessary.

For most of the earlier years we had an ample supply of Crew Chiefs, but everyone had an alternate who would step up if the Head Guy or Gal was unavailable. Not so much these days. We need to change that. Members served in a position about a year or two, sometimes three, and then rotated to new people. Today, seems like we haven't made it clear that "new blood" is both desired and necessary. And welcome. AZSolo is experiencing some symptoms of "burnout".

*I* personally do not understand taking "months off" from driving in this sport. Never have. But taking time off from being in charge of a responsibility, understand that. Again, we need to invite and train and groom more people. cool.gif

Starter goal...... Restoring the May Special Event, and seek options (and people) for some form of summer event(s). IMO.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S "STS" .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter

+Quote Post
Dave Munsey
post Mar 19 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #8

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Mar 18 2019, 08:40 AM) *
QUOTE (hatrick6 @ Mar 18 2019, 05:26 AM) *

First, I completely agree with Josh. Especially he, as well as some other current Officers, have been asked to step up too many times and often for far too long to help make sure our events continue. That makes competing less fun for them.

Some History and Perspective:

Our summer events were among the largest events of the year, and especially the night ones. Sounds neat, but not for the setup crew (who typically started about 3-4pm). And, evening events had changing light conditions (dusk to extra lighting), starting about 6:00pm or so. I did not participate in those, but did the daytime versions. Setting up in the cooler mornings was not even close to "brutal".

Sounds like we have here an evolving "Crew" of interested parties who are exploring making something happen during the summer, if not up north, then perhaps even here. As I stated, more workers would be necessary.

For most of the earlier years we had an ample supply of Crew Chiefs, but everyone had an alternate who would step up if the Head Guy or Gal was unavailable. Not so much these days. We need to change that. Members served in a position about a year or two, sometimes three, and then rotated to new people. Today, seems like we haven't made it clear that "new blood" is both desired and necessary. And welcome. AZSolo is experiencing some symptoms of "burnout".

*I* personally do not understand taking "months off" from driving in this sport. Never have. But taking time off from being in charge of a responsibility, understand that. Again, we need to invite and train and groom more people. cool.gif

Starter goal...... Restoring the May Special Event, and seek options (and people) for some form of summer event(s). IMO.

Summer break is more than just a couple months. Looks like over 5 months for SCCA and close to 5 months for PCA. That is a long break from your favorite hobby. If a suitable venue could be found I think there would be enough interested people to put on an event . Finding the venue is the problem.

--------------------
DAVE MUNSEY
2002 Boxster S
A Street Prepared
( ASP?? Your kidding me aren't you? Oh, I forgot, it's a Porsche. )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2019 - 02:47 AM