Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maybe a CAM entry?
fahrvergnugen
post Aug 31 2019, 02:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 5

While gone from autocross for several years I have been focusing on vintage cars before 1972. In that time I now have a couple of old Fords.

Let's call them "salt and pepper"..... so, maybe I need to thrash them out on an autocross course? Both could fit into the new CAM classes?

Mark

Attached Image

--------------------
Mark Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Aug 31 2019, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (fahrvergnugen @ Aug 31 2019, 02:22 AM) *
While gone from autocross for several years I have been focusing on vintage cars before 1972. In that time I now have a couple of old Fords.

Let's call them "salt and pepper"..... so, maybe I need to thrash them out on an autocross course? Both could fit into the new CAM classes?

Mark

Attached Image

Mark -- what year is the pepper car? My dad taught me how to drive a stick shift with a 1949, black Ford. Nice Mustang too!

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
fahrvergnugen
post Aug 31 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (S. Roberts @ Aug 31 2019, 05:31 AM) *
Mark -- what year is the pepper car? My dad taught me how to drive a stick shift with a 1949, black Ford. Nice Mustang too!

It is a 1949 Ford Tudor with the classic 3-spd column shift! My first car was a 1949 Ford Fordor. The great thing about the 1949 "3-on-a-tree" was the really short throw and easy movement. Your could shift that car with just two fingers over a very short travel with no real force.

The later 1960s Fords with column shifts were totally crazy requiring a huge swing of the lever. First gear was down about 4 o-clock, but 2nd was then up around 1 o'clock which gave rise to the "air shifting" gesture of ramming your hand totally up towards 12 o'clock (with associated revving sounds). My girl friend in college had a 1964 Ford Falcon with the insane column shift.

--------------------
Mark Shaw

+Quote Post
SSLance
post Sep 1 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 189796

Both look like awesome CAM cars to me!!

--------------------
Lance Hamilton
1985 Monte Carlo SS CAM T

+Quote Post
fahrvergnugen
post Sep 3 2019, 02:45 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (SSLance @ Sep 1 2019, 08:34 PM) *
Both look like awesome CAM cars to me!!

Yeah, but most likely really slow results due to limited handling.

I have rebuilt and upgraded that old flat head V8 in the 1949 to be about 50% more powerful than the original 100 hp. Still, not a barn burner......

Looks impressive, but hardly up to the likes of today's technology!

Attached Image

--------------------
Mark Shaw

+Quote Post
fahrvergnugen
post Sep 3 2019, 04:22 AM
Post #6

oops, it appears that the PAX factors for the CAM classes are worse that the default HS class. HS is pretty much where the SCCA tosses any car that they cannot promote into some higher class.

Being HS iin these times is sort of the garbage class, the forgotten and considered useless cars that the SCCA does not want to deal with. Basically trying to tell the owners of these cars that the SCCA is not interested. Today's SCCA appears to be focused on the classes and cars that they think are most popular....that is,the SCCA can be manipulated... us long term autocross persons know what a sham this is.

Autocross, in its more purist forms over the decades, has never tried to limit or exclude any car class. But sadly the present sanctioning body (the SCCA) is more than willing to bend the rules to favor the latest and greatest cars in an class.

--------------------
Mark Shaw

+Quote Post
SSLance
post Sep 3 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 189796

The CAM T class is more about having fun with old cars than serious business autocross racing. I've been involved with SCCA CAM classes since before the inception and can verify the camaraderie and fun had in the class is different than most other classes. It's not for everyone but I know that Mustang for sure would be a huge hit in paddock with the CAM crowd.

--------------------
Lance Hamilton
1985 Monte Carlo SS CAM T

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2019 - 12:23 AM