IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braking Conundrum Challenge, There will be a prize for the first right answer.......
SMeyers
post Sep 26 2019, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

OK all of you mechanical genius's out there, let's see if you can be the one to solve this mystery. And I am serious about a nice prize.

My Tacoma has developed a braking issue, which has confused my shop of choice (where I go for those things I can't or won't do anymore). Here is a synopsis.

1998 Tacoma, 2.4 four cyl. motor, extra cab, automatic, no ABS. 220,000 miles. Has always had "decent" brakes, never stellar. Runs strong, well maintained (it's mine after all). wink.gif

Somewhat suddenly (past two weeks or so) the Tacoma has lost much braking power. Very light braking feels normal, until that last 30 feet or so. Then, just feels like the pads quit gripping. If you have to stop quickly, you can stand on the pedal with two feet, and it makes no difference. No way to lock them up. Does not pull to either side. VERY solid pedal.

About a year ago..... new front pads, new rear brake shoes, new brake vacuum booster, and now a fresh brake adjustment and flush at the shop. Master cylinder is older, but checks out. Hard pedal, no leaks.

Shop said we must have glazed the front pads, so I put another new stock set on..... no difference huh.gif . Old ones looked fine anyway.

I have no clue. Shop has no clue. facepalm.gif

Do you? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)
Education is important. Race Cars are importanter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lowflyer
post Sep 26 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #2

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 46

My bet would be a loss of vacuum at the booster.

Low engine vacuum, collapsed hose, blocked check valve, or bad or leaking booster. You didnít say why you replaced the original booster.

It just sounds like your running out of vacuum.

Ken Edney

--------------------
Ken Edney

Tired Iron Racing -- real race cars don't have fenders or doors, O.K. fenders, maybe.

If I had all the money that I've spent on race cars over the years - I'd spend it on race cars!

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 26 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Changed the original booster because it totally, suddenly failed. So I replaced related parts at the same time.

This feels similar to that experience, but not as complete. Iíd call it 50% braking.

The booster vacuum hose was not changed then I noticed, so I will do so tomorrow. Iím told the hose can fail internally, even though it looks fine outside. It does.

The booster does pass the online-defined test procedure (brake pedal sinks 1/2Ē or so under pressure when engine is started).

Fingers crossed......😉

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda3S .......(Really just a Miata with four doors and a trunk......and +500#)

+Quote Post
lowflyer
post Sep 27 2019, 07:33 AM
Post #4

The hose can fail while still looking fine. There should also be a check valve. It may be part of the booster, or a separate piece in the hose.

Good luck.

Ken

--------------------
Ken Edney

Tired Iron Racing -- real race cars don't have fenders or doors, O.K. fenders, maybe.

If I had all the money that I've spent on race cars over the years - I'd spend it on race cars!

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Sep 27 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #5

Well, it was the unthinkable. The one year old vacuum brake booster failed. Internally.

Yes, it was just out of warranty. Funny you should ask rolleyes.gif . And no, Centric will not give any accommodation/credit for that early failure. blink.gif

Of course, that was the last place I looked, but that's where *I* found it (Or, Ken and I wink.gif ). Not the garage...... Me.

The Tacoma is testing my patience. I've been very good to it. tongue.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
lowflyer
post Sep 27 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Lots of bad news, but the good news is - now you have brakes!

And most parts fail just out of warranty. Itís a rule!

Older cars are simple. The new ones are all computers, relays and wires. Even ďbrake by wireĒ. Nothing scary there. And now driverless cars, to look forward to.

Ken

--------------------
Ken Edney

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 07:29 AM