Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Class Explosion
fahrvergnugen
post Nov 3 2019, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 5

I just purchased a 1985 Scirocco from a long time autocrosser, Ross Meyer. It is well prepared and fun to drive.

So, I thought that maybe I should enter it in an upcoming AZ Region solo event.

But then I looked at today's classes and WTF......?

Are we kidding...? Back in the 1990s there were minor suggestions to modified and/or add maybe a couple of new classes. Anybody who tried that was rebuked because they were trying to create a special "my class"...

Decades later I cannot grasp the range of "street" and other classes that have resulted today. Near as I can tell we now have a massive number of classes to reward competitors who could not either enter or compete back in the 1990s. What has changed? The message back then was that you either had to accept the classing structure or go elsewhere.

The hypocrisy of this should be obvious to those of us who had supported the SCCA Solo program as far back as 1990.

The good...maybe there is some new class of many which might let me enter a car with some mixture of mods.

The bad...I might actually have a modified car which has no chance....

Same old issue with the SCCA since the late 1980s.....pick and choose who will win....

--------------------
Mark Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
APEXLVR
post Nov 3 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1346

Wait, is it "Same old issue with the SCCA since the late 1980s.....pick and choose who will win...." or is it a total change from the 90s? It can't be both, can it?

--------------------
Travis Kelley

2012 Specialized Crux Comp Apex: .917hp / 48.16 ft-lbs at 100RPM

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 3 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (fahrvergnugen @ Nov 3 2019, 02:40 AM) *
I just purchased a 1985 Scirocco from a long time autocrosser, Ross Meyer. It is well prepared and fun to drive.
So, I thought that maybe I should enter it in an upcoming AZ Region solo event.
But then I looked at today's classes and WTF......?

Sorry, Mark, but you apparently have misread the current list of SCCA "I" or "My" Classes.

"WTF" Class is not scheduled to appear until maybe next year. So, you'll have to wait a few months. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

HS was where the Scirocco would have started (back when H Street didn't require 220+HP and V-6's), but then would have moved to STF with a few typical mods.......except SCCA then cancelled that Class due to low NATIONAL entries, so now you'll have to choose STS, where you get to run against CRX's and Miatas. rolleyes.gif

Or, do what I do, and look forward to entering "WTF" which is kind of where I feel I already am. more_cowbell.gif teasing.gif beer.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
Dave H
post Nov 3 2019, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 1122

I like the idea of adding a "wtf" class 😁 but yeah, looking at the list of classes now, it is a bit silly...

--------------------
Dave Hurt
Director
Chief of Course and other things

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Nov 3 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Dave H @ Nov 3 2019, 01:26 PM) *
I like the idea of adding a "wtf" class 😁 but yeah, looking at the list of classes now, it is a bit silly...

IMO, SCCA National is doing the smaller local Regions no favors with the proliferation of specialized Classes in recent times.

Mark S is lamenting the days when there were maybe twenty total classes, and Classing was much simpler and straightforward. Newer cars came out, placed them into the basic existing Class set, and let the chips fall. Quit trying to make everybody (i.e. Manufacturers) happy.

Right now encouraging people to run the Open Classes is made difficult locally with soooooo many "designer" classes.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Nov 3 2019, 05:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 710

QUOTE (Dave H @ Nov 3 2019, 01:26 PM) *

Agreed, and agree having soooo many classes in Solo is now rather nerve wrecking, especially for beginners, it needs to be scaled back.

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
AZ Region Director
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Nov 3 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 64503

If you have input on what you think the SCCA should do or not do, write a letter https://www.crbscca.com/
The worst they could tell you is "Thank you for your input" . With that in mind, if you do write them have some substantial data to back your claim and not "oh this mad sucks" and so on. While it wont guaranty change, it will give folks an idea of the climate they are dealing with which may push for change at some point.

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox

+Quote Post
S. Roberts
post Nov 3 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (freakin_elrod @ Nov 3 2019, 07:09 PM) *
If you have input on what you think the SCCA should do or not do, write a letter https://www.crbscca.com/
The worst they could tell you is "Thank you for your input" . With that in mind, if you do write them have some substantial data to back your claim and not "oh this mad sucks" and so on. While it wont guaranty change, it will give folks an idea of the climate they are dealing with which may push for change at some point.

Or just send SCCA Inc. a big wad of money and they will create a WTF class to your specifications....... laugh.gif

--------------------
Sharon Roberts

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Nov 3 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #9

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Nov 3 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 710

QUOTE (freakin_elrod @ Nov 3 2019, 07:09 PM) *

I did, nothing came of it, was bummed sad.gif

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
AZ Region Director
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Nov 3 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #11

I did as well but in my case, I and a few of my competitors nationally wrote letters and provided data logs and various info to get a certain allowance added for our class and surprisingly it was approved. It took having substantial data to get it moving though and like I said not a personal opinion for something like that to happen. Sometimes it is luck of the draw though, but I hear a lot of bickering in grid about classing and what not and for the majority when I ask, "have you written a letter to the SEB?" Some dont know how to go about it, others have and seen both yays and nays from letters written, but most dont care to do anything.

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST

+Quote Post
Bob Lob Law
post Nov 3 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 175044

Our new registration system has a pile of extra classes that are not even real, making it look even worse than it is (and also missing my class that I'm pretty sure is real).

--------------------
Todd A.
HS Focus SVT
SSC Scion FRS

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Nov 3 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Bob Lob Law @ Nov 3 2019, 09:48 PM) *
Our new registration system has a pile of extra classes that are not even real, making it look even worse than it is (and also missing my class that I'm pretty sure is real).

That is a whole other issue that I agree with that needs to be fixed, and its growing pain. What I dont understand about MSR is that for national events, the classing seems to be correct, but for our local stuff, it's like its something completely different and just like you said missing classes and classes that dont even exist anymore. I wonder where the disconnect is?

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 08:46 AM