Tire Rack

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solo Trial Event
Nokones
post Feb 3 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 194203

I am curious if the Solo Committee be willing to entertain the idea of hosting at least one Solo Trial Event a year?

--------------------
--
Kenny Mitchell
Nokones@kenmitchell.com
1989 Corvette #77 CAM-S
&
2013 Corvette Grand Sport #(Whatever My Grid Spot Number is) A Street.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Feb 9 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 710

QUOTE (Nokones @ Feb 3 2020, 06:30 PM) *
I am curious if the Solo Committee be willing to entertain the idea of hosting at least one Solo Trial Event a year?

We'd love to, but we just don't have a site for it.

--------------------
"Maybe I should just buy a 240 and become a mad tyte drifter." - Hitler
Josh Johnston
Registrar
1997 Honda Civic HX - STC
1995 Nissan 240sx SE - STC
2004 Mini Cooper - STF
2006 Mini Cooper JCW - DS

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 9 2020, 10:46 AM
Post #3

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (hatrick6 @ Feb 9 2020, 09:57 AM) *

You mean like the AMP Road Course near Phoenix? huh.gif Or, Wild Horse Pass road course, especially the Bondurant school road course version? cool.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Feb 10 2020, 05:48 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 9 2020, 10:46 AM) *
QUOTE (hatrick6 @ Feb 9 2020, 09:57 AM) *

You mean like the AMP Road Course near Phoenix? huh.gif Or, Wild Horse Pass road course, especially the Bondurant school road course version? cool.gif

I assumed the event would be large, and AMP doesn't want over 200 people, Bondo is tough to deal with :/

--------------------
Josh Johnston
Registrar
2004 Mini Cooper - STF

+Quote Post
Nokones
post Feb 10 2020, 06:22 AM
Post #5

A Solo Trial (For us old guys, they were called Solo I many decades ago) event is a high speed autocross event without abrupt maneuvers like off-sets and slaloms or any other maneuver that would upset the balance or handling of a car at the higher speeds. Essentially, a solo trial course is designed with straights and turns with straight-a-way speed for most Street and Street Touring cars not to exceed 95 MPH. The course design would normally be designed with continous/multiple laps either timed combined or individual timed lap.

These events will not be approved by the National Office if they are held on road courses or at race track facilities or Shopping Mall parking lots. These events are to be held on sites like Marana. There are strict guidelines for the type of site to hold a solo trial event.

I think Marana would be a good site. Most Solo Trial events will not be attended by a huge crowd because some of the rules will prohibit their attendance like open top cars, unless they have a roll bar, and novices with less than 2 years of autocross experience.

Cars with existing roll bars and cages will need to adhere to/comply with the SCCA rules. Cars without rollbars or cages are ok to compete.

Because of the overhead expenses to conduct a solo trial event the entry fee will be a little higher and that may keep the attendance down to a manageable number..

--------------------
--
Kenny Mitchell
Nokones@kenmitchell.com
1989 Corvette #77 CAM-S
&

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 10 2020, 08:29 AM
Post #6

Pretty sure that parking lots would not qualify as viable sites.......but, I've been wrong before. tongue.gif

For those who have not much idea of what's being discussed here.

Would be no larger than say a NASA Event at AMP, so really don't think the event would go very close to 200 people.

Time Trials

Like SCCA Track Events, Time Trials offer an opportunity to drive your street car on a closed, purpose-built road course. The difference between Track Events and Time Trials is that a Time Trial is a competition event where drivers in a variety of classes compete for the best lap time. Think of an SCCA Time Trials event as a Solo event around a road course rather than around a cone-delineated course. The idea is the same in that there may be a number of drivers on course simultaneously, but they’re spaced out sufficiently that there’s minimal risk of drivers encountering each other on track. The purpose is to see who can turn the fastest lap time. In order to compete in an SCCA Time Trials event, you will need a Time Trials Competition License. You may earn your license through participation in SCCA Track Events or documentation of prior sanctioned road racing experience.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Nokones
post Feb 10 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #7

As Scott pointed out you can see the difference between Solo Trial Events and Time Trial Events. Solo Trials is just an autocross with higher speeds with course designed by pylons and the cones are counted as a 2 second pylon per displaced pylon. Time Trial events are conducted on road race courses at racing facilities for timed laps with passing in designated zones and without wheel-to-wheel. Big difference between the two event types.

Solo Trials would be fun and different to hold a couple times a year.

--------------------
--
Kenny Mitchell
Nokones@kenmitchell.com
1989 Corvette #77 CAM-S
&

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 10 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #8

Sigh.

Now Ken has made me go to my computer to do a search for “Solo Trials” vs “Time Trials”, aka: “Solo 1”.😳

I think.🤔

SCCA, who is now likely close to 60 Solo Classes or more, and yet feels the need to add yet more types of Solo-related events to their schedule, because..... some of you still have some money left in your wallets?

Put me down as one who would NOT favor higher speed events at AMP, because bad things can happen should your car vary from the typically used pavement there.🤔 Tucson also, as there are mathematical reasons that higher speeds require more runoff distance, thus reducing the available useable distances for course design and safety.

In my opinion, Solo Events should stick to autocross parameters, i.e., “60 mph for the FASTEST Cars” (is that still in the rule book?) typically nothing into 3rd gear for most cars, and anything faster belongs on a real race track. I am a fan of Solo Events on road courses with appropriate pylon placement to keep speeds reasonable and safe, but the faster speeds belong where there is adequate run off space (and no fences).😉

My two cents only.😎

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
Nokones
post Feb 10 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 10 2020, 07:04 PM) *
Sigh.

Now Ken has made me go to my computer to do a search for “Solo Trials” vs “Time Trials”, aka: “Solo 1”.😳

I think.🤔

SCCA, who is now likely close to 60 Solo Classes or more, and yet feels the need to add yet more types of Solo-related events to their schedule, because..... some of you still have some money left in your wallets?

Put me down as one who would NOT favor higher speed events at AMP, because bad things can happen should your car vary from the typically used pavement there.🤔 Tucson also, as there are mathematical reasons that higher speeds require more runoff distance, thus reducing the available useable distances for course design and safety.

In my opinion, Solo Events should stick to autocross parameters, i.e., “60 mph for the FASTEST Cars” (is that still in the rule book?) typically nothing into 3rd gear for most cars, and anything faster belongs on a real race track. I am a fan of Solo Events on road courses with appropriate pylon placement to keep speeds reasonable and safe, but the faster speeds belong where there is adequate run off space (and no fences).😉

My two cents only.😎

Scott:

Please check out Appendix D of the Solo Rule Book. The draft version 2020 rule book index list Appendix D on page 270 it actually starts on page 284.

--------------------
--
Kenny Mitchell
Nokones@kenmitchell.com
1989 Corvette #77 CAM-S
&

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 10 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #10

Found it, thank you.

I knew few of the program details. Did you know that......

Solo® Trials events can be characterized as introductory Time Trials events, using pylon defined road courses and speeds in excess of those currently limited in the Solo® program are permitted but are more limited than for Time Trials events. Approved course designs will not normally permit potential vehicle speeds of the fastest Street, Street Touring®, or
Street Prepared Category vehicles to exceed 95 mph.

Also, an ambulance must be on call, 5 min away, fire fighting vehicle on site, and then this:

7. Each flagging station shall be on the inside approach of its respective corner and be placed a minimum of 75 ft. from the course edge. >>> It is highly recommended that the station be located behind a solid protection barrier such as, but not limited to, concrete, tire wall, or Armco.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
SSLance
post Feb 11 2020, 06:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 189796

I remember couple years ago National put one on at Lincoln after Solo Nats. Several of my friends from KC Region attended and had a blast. The videos were fun to watch.

I'd be interested in attending one here, but agree with Scott it would probably gave to not be on skidpad at AMP. Marana maybe but still might be tight. On road course at AMP seens like easiest site.

--------------------
Lance Hamilton
1985 Monte Carlo SS CAM T

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post Feb 11 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (SSLance @ Feb 11 2020, 06:56 AM) *
I remember couple years ago National put one on at Lincoln after Solo Nats. Several of my friends from KC Region attended and had a blast. The videos were fun to watch.

I'd be interested in attending one here, but agree with Scott it would probably gave to not be on skidpad at AMP. Marana maybe but still might be tight. On road course at AMP seens like easiest site.

“This program is not intended for racetrack facilities, which are used for Time Trials events or shopping mall-type parking lots that are commonly used for Solo® events. Extremely rare exceptions may be made for racetrack facility usage under special circumstances when the course design and locations of hazards present appropriate risks, such as an airport-based facility.” I don’t envision getting approval from SCCA for the AMP road course.

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
hatrick6
post Feb 11 2020, 09:53 AM
Post #13

I wouldn't think we could get approval either, too bad, sounds fun!

--------------------
Josh Johnston
Registrar
2004 Mini Cooper - STF

+Quote Post
JW1
post Feb 11 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18

There are events like this out at Fontana that are put on by NMCA/RacingByrds.

The first one is next weekend and I will be there!

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 12 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (JW1 @ Feb 11 2020, 05:28 PM) *
There are events like this out at Fontana that are put on by NMCA/RacingByrds.
The first one is next weekend and I will be there!

Hey, take a lot of pictures when you are there, and please share when you return. Try to also share the course map. Pics please not of just cars, but of the entire layout. Would be very informative.

Are their rules and requirements similar to SCCA’s?

Any links you could share?😎 Costs? Stuff like that?👍

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 12 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #16

Ah. Found it, I think. https://www.nmcawest.com/

Awards each event, and more. Says “Auto-x Series”. Limited to 85 entrants stated elsewhere. Sold out. What was the entry fee?

Come out to Auto Club Speedway February 15-16, 2020 to kick off the 2020 Nitto Tire NMCA WEST Auto-X Series. The first of six exciting event weekends offers twists and turn for enthusiasts at all levels of autocross skills. Two-days of competition include five categories—Sports Car, Modern Muscle, Classic Muscle, Truck and Compact Car—with awards being presented on both days.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
JW1
post Feb 17 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 18

Entry fee was $150. Course was more like a mini road course as opposed to traditional SCCA type course. I did hit the rev limited on day 1 in 2nd, but not on day 2.

--------------------
Jeff Williams
STR
#2 Pong player in AZ Phoenix SCCA Region and AZ Border Region

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 17 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #18

So many questions....

*2nd gear* rev limiter? Sounds like when we ran the Bondo School Road Course......similar? I miss those special events here, would like to see more of them.

How many runs did you get? What was your competition like.....stiff? Any pylons on the course to slow speeds?

Any pics to share?

Thanks.

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post
SSLance
post Feb 18 2020, 06:53 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 189796

Hopefully this link works. From a friends run on Sundays course at NMCA.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...p;id=1354698754

--------------------
Lance Hamilton
1985 Monte Carlo SS CAM T

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Feb 18 2020, 06:58 AM
Post #20

It worked, thanks.

Looks like fun, BIG parking lot.....big. Like the lined courses.😉👍

--------------------
Scott Meyers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2020 - 11:09 PM