Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie question, Dnf question
Ev H
post Mar 31 2020, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 244324

Hey all,

The March event was my first in about 15 years. I had no idea I had DNFed my first two runs. Is there a way to tell if you Dnfed without walking up to the scoreboard? I thankfully walked up after my second pass and saw the DNfs and Josh(?) rode with me my last run. I was super slow but at least it wasn't a Dnfed and got a time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
freakin_elrod
post Apr 1 2020, 07:43 AM
Post #2

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 64503

QUOTE (Ev H @ Mar 31 2020, 11:38 PM) *
Hey all,

The March event was my first in about 15 years. I had no idea I had DNFed my first two runs. Is there a way to tell if you Dnfed without walking up to the scoreboard? I thankfully walked up after my second pass and saw the DNfs and Josh(?) rode with me my last run. I was super slow but at least it wasn't a Dnfed and got a time.

Maybe the practice of corner workers properly calling the DNF/cone calls might be something to consider doing in the future, i.e. corner worker calls in saying "red pinto DNF at station 3", that way the driver at least has an idea of where they might be getting lost at. They do this at national events.....just a thought.

--------------------
Sid Elorde
2015 Focus ST
StreetTouringHeavyFWDsh*tbox

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Apr 1 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4

Not a bad idea, but we often have inexperienced workers in many positions, and also not much room for notes on scoreboard.

Alternately, I check my times after each run, and we have almost live timing on phones.

I’d suggest those options.😎

Please add your full name in the signature line so we get to know you.👍

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
Wicked991
post Apr 1 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 40

at some events the announcer is being broadcast over your FM radio, you can hear your time or DNF that way.

--------------------
Kim Kemper
Dark Side Racing

+Quote Post
Mike Rogers
post Apr 1 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 177

Is there a way to publish "DNF" on the red digitized electronic scoreboard (that faces the finish area after each run) if a DNF
was reported? Just a thought.

--------------------
Mike Rogers
H Street Honda Civic Si

"You can't trust atoms, they make up everything!"

+Quote Post
Ev H
post Apr 1 2020, 11:26 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Mike Rogers @ Apr 1 2020, 10:22 AM) *
Is there a way to publish "DNF" on the red digitized electronic scoreboard (that faces the finish area after each run) if a DNF
was reported? Just a thought.

That is what i was thinking Mike. I was wondering some how if your numbers were in red it was a DNF and in white you were good. It is probably not set up that way. So I saw another suggestion about listening to the radio frequency transmit while driving. I'm a newbie driver/ course worker so if the person handling the radio is a veteran so you know where you missed/dnfed it would be a big help.

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Apr 2 2020, 06:37 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4

I pretty sure the display showing your time as you finish is a simple reflection of what shows on the computer from the timing lights. If the “DNF” idea were possible, there would have to be some override button to void the actual display. Equally sure that does not exist within that system.

As far as where you were dnf’ing, that’s another level of difficulty with all of the different levels of expertise logging that......i.e., many newbies.

The good news in any of this is the more experienced you become, not only are you less likely to dnf, you are also more likely to know where, when you do.

--------------------
Scott Meyers
2012 Honda Civic Si - H Street

+Quote Post
Ev H
post Apr 2 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (SMeyers @ Apr 2 2020, 07:37 AM) *
I pretty sure the display showing your time as you finish is a simple reflection of what shows on the computer from the timing lights. If the “DNF” idea were possible, there would have to be some override button to void the actual display. Equally sure that does not exist within that system.

As far as where you were dnf’ing, that’s another level of difficulty with all of the different levels of expertise logging that......i.e., many newbies.

The good news in any of this is the more experienced you become, not only are you less likely to dnf, you are also more likely to know where, when you do.

Thanks for everyone who responded. I will just walk up to the time board in the future. I am also trying to update my profile. You couldn't miss me last race. I was the guy in the silver Lincoln LS. However( since I like oddball cars) I just bought a gaudily painted 2007 Chrysler Crossfire. It is my game plan to race it going forward until my 2006 Mazda Mx-5 is paid off in 4 1/2 years. Thank you again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2020 - 08:18 PM