Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death of a Miata
AZ Solo Forums > General Discussion > Off-Topic
wannagofaster
Well, the trusty 2000 silver Miata decided it wanted a ride home tonight, ... on the back of a flatbed tow truck. Was on my way home and it started slowing down on its own and the engine started to lock up. I had just checked and filled the oil last week, a quart low. No idea why this happened yet, but will find out.

Normally I would be ticked off, but oh well, nothing can be done about it right now. Move on ...
Ric
Who kills a Miata? These things are pretty indestructible... I've never killed one and that says a lot. I bet it's a fuel thing.

...or maybe a really big trailer ? laugh.gif
wannagofaster
You're right, Ric. I've had 40 Miatas (including parts cars and flippers) and this is the only one that ever failed. Not sure what happened, or what I will do with it now, but will figure that out. I guess that's not a bad average, come to think of it. smile.gif
DeanaK
Oh no!!! Keeps us updated on what happened? Poor Miata...
wannagofaster
QUOTE (DeanaK @ Sep 20 2016, 04:59 PM) *
Oh no!!! Keeps us updated on what happened? Poor Miata...

I pulled the front covers off the engine and the timing belt feels loose, so it may have jumped timing? Has spark and fuel, so I'm leaning that way right now ...
wannagofaster
A friend came by with a compression tester. It's not good: 30-0-0-30? Blew the head gasket most likely, and the timing belt is fine, still lines up with the marks. So once I get this other project Miata buttoned up, it'll come apart. No coolant in the oil, so it may still be good once the gasket is replaced. Fingers crossed ...
JasonP
Head gasket? Shudder. Had that with my Civic last summer, but was lucky enough that the head didn't warp. Hoping it's just that simple for you as well.
wannagofaster
QUOTE (JasonP @ Sep 29 2016, 10:20 AM) *
Head gasket? Shudder. Had that with my Civic last summer, but was lucky enough that the head didn't warp. Hoping it's just that simple for you as well.

Thanks, Jason. I hope so too! sad.gif
JasonP
So what's the word?
SMeyers
Word on the street is that it's not looking good.......

wannagofaster
QUOTE (JasonP @ Oct 10 2016, 04:38 PM) *
So what's the word?

Haven't got the head off yet, and got side-tracked onto another project. I may have a buyer for the car as is, but he will be doing the work at my place, so will know more if and when he comes up with the money, or I get back to this. Honestly, I would MUCH rather be doing fun stuff than pulling this car apart... wink.gif
JasonP
QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Oct 10 2016, 06:48 PM) *
QUOTE (JasonP @ Oct 10 2016, 04:38 PM) *
So what's the word?

Haven't got the head off yet, and got side-tracked onto another project. I may have a buyer for the car as is, but he will be doing the work at my place, so will know more if and when he comes up with the money, or I get back to this. Honestly, I would MUCH rather be doing fun stuff than pulling this car apart... wink.gif

I hear that sir. Good luck with the fun stuff. biggrin.gif
SMeyers
QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Sep 28 2016, 04:38 AM) *
A friend came by with a compression tester. It's not good: 30-0-0-30? Blew the head gasket most likely. So once I get this other project Miata buttoned up, it'll come apart. No coolant in the oil, so it may still be good once the gasket is replaced. Fingers crossed ...

I heard that E Street Miatas are more reliable........ wink.gif
wannagofaster
QUOTE (SMeyers @ Oct 18 2016, 02:32 PM) *
QUOTE (wannagofaster @ Sep 28 2016, 04:38 AM) *
A friend came by with a compression tester. It's not good: 30-0-0-30? Blew the head gasket most likely. So once I get this other project Miata buttoned up, it'll come apart. No coolant in the oil, so it may still be good once the gasket is replaced. Fingers crossed ...

I heard that E Street Miatas are more reliable........ wink.gif

Yeah, and those pop-up headlights can be really fun! (If they aren't worn out)

The project Miata is sorta done. It runs and drives, but since a truck backed into it, the hood won't fit right or latch. It had a bad shock, and I had a Flyin' Miata "autocross" setup I put on. Not impressed. The spring rates are too soft and it may be low to the ground, but ... some ricer will love it! I'm waiting on the return of my spring compressors and will either go with some Koni Sports or Bilsteins on it. It would be E Street if I put the stock springs back in. Anyone got a problem if I run without a hood? It is street legal in Arizona. Or I can move the latch to the right an inch. tongue.gif

Procrastinating on the 2000 still, but guess it's next in line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.