Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to AutoCross
AZ Solo Forums > General Discussion > SCCA Solo discussion
Austin Welles
Hello everyone! I've been avidly interested in racing for as long as I can remember and I recently got in touch with someone that recommended I reach out to this group.

I've never done any sort of real-life racing and don't know what to expect in amateur racing. I just wanted to review some expectations that I had and make sure I understand things correctly. I plan on signing up for the Apr 6th event and bringing just a base model 2012 Ford Fiesta. As far as I understand it, I would just need to sign up for the event and bring myself and my car and a helmet will be provided. And I would be starting out in either Open or Novice 1 class depending on which one I chose.

There were just a couple questions I had:
Will I simply be waiting for all the other events and driving my car on an empty track when it's my turn or is there more to it?
Since I'm new to this, what should I expect in terms of how guided the process is? Is the community used to new drivers?
Will the track be empty when I run? I think I heard my friend mention it's staggered with two cars on the track, but I can't remember.
Lastly, what are some common mistakes that new drivers tend to make so I can try and avoid becoming an example of what not to do?

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but as long as your car is stock it should be H-Street car Novice 1
Scott Urich
Austin
Your right all you need to is show with your car and we do have helmets. We do ask that you signup for the event on mindthecones.com Usually registration will open up about 2 weeks before an event. All the cars are staggered as safety is our #1 concern. We usually start at 9am but we usually ask you be there a minimum of an hour before so your car can go through tech and registration can finished plus you'll need your car to pass sound. You have a fiesta I doubt it will be an issue. Usually after you have gone through tech; you then go through a course walk and then another with Novice Chief his name Jonathan. Before we start the event we usually have a drivers meeting and cone clinic. You are required to work (usually course) if you drive in A group you will work C group and B for D. If you have any other questions please let me know. Bunch of will be at the ProSolo in Fontana and this will be a smaller group then normal. So have some Fun and we'll look forward to see you.

Scott

QUOTE (Austin Welles @ Mar 14 2019, 11:11 AM) *
Hello everyone! I've been avidly interested in racing for as long as I can remember and I recently got in touch with someone that recommended I reach out to this group.

I've never done any sort of real-life racing and don't know what to expect in amateur racing. I just wanted to review some expectations that I had and make sure I understand things correctly. I plan on signing up for the Apr 6th event and bringing just a base model 2012 Ford Fiesta. As far as I understand it, I would just need to sign up for the event and bring myself and my car and a helmet will be provided. And I would be starting out in either Open or Novice 1 class depending on which one I chose.

There were just a couple questions I had:
Will I simply be waiting for all the other events and driving my car on an empty track when it's my turn or is there more to it?
Since I'm new to this, what should I expect in terms of how guided the process is? Is the community used to new drivers?
Will the track be empty when I run? I think I heard my friend mention it's staggered with two cars on the track, but I can't remember.
Lastly, what are some common mistakes that new drivers tend to make so I can try and avoid becoming an example of what not to do?

Austin Welles
I did have one other question. I noticed that the events page for AZ Solo listed no events for the summer. What events does the community normally partake in during the summer months since I'll probably want to keep doing this assuming I have a good time?
Tim H
The community is very open and helpful to novices. Show up as close to 7 as you can and feel free to ask just about anyone any questions you may have. To answer your second question, the Tucson region does have events throughout the summer if you are willing to travel some. You can see the full 2019 schedule for all of Arizona in this thread.
Jahoney
Austin, first...Welcome!!

I think as important as anything is to make sure you have one of the veterans/driving instructors ride along with you. Usually this is a given for 1st time novices, but we have been a bit short-handed lately in a few positions so it's probably something you will want to be sure to ask about once you are at the event. It's a super valuable and free tool to use to your advantage!

Just come on out and have fun! You'll find a lot of really great people that are very helpful. You also probably have even more questions after your first event so don't ever hesitate to jump on here and ask if you think of something after the event.
GT489
Maybe someone with a little more experience with vehicle rules can chime in, but from what I understood, the base Fiestas were banned from the street class due to rollover risk.

Found an article about it too but like I said, I'm not very familiar with the vehicle rules.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/ford-fiesta-...ross-1678736991
Wicked991
my understanding is that the car as described remains ineligible to compete

Kim Kemper
Chief of Safety
Scott Urich
Kim is 100% correct...I sent an email to the SCCA and stock Fiesta, Fiat 500, Mini Countryman, and Nissan Juke are all banned in street class for rollover risk. If these vehicle are modified example lowered etc they can compete in modified classes.
SMeyers
Know that the very sticky tires we (SCCA) allow in those Stock (Street) Classes greatly increase the effects of body lean and thus "rollover" risk for cars with certain factors; body height, track width, etc. If they were on 400 UTQG tires, might be a different story.
Austin Welles
QUOTE (Scott Urich @ Mar 19 2019, 03:57 AM) *
Kim is 100% correct...I sent an email to the SCCA and stock Fiesta, Fiat 500, Mini Countryman, and Nissan Juke are all banned in street class for rollover risk. If these vehicle are modified example lowered etc they can compete in modified classes.

sad.gif Well, this has pretty much ruined my excitement. I guess I'll still show up to cheer others on. Pretty bummed I won't be able to try my hand around the track. My next plan for a car is a Miata from the early to mid 2000's, so I at least know those are good for beginner autocross.
JMP
I'd suggest you walk the course several times. There should have a novice walk as well. Also ask some drivers if you can ride along to get a feel for it. You can check out all the Miata's and what classes they run in. Enjoy!
Scott Urich
QUOTE (Austin Welles @ Mar 19 2019, 09:23 PM) *

sad.gif Well, this has pretty much ruined my excitement. I guess I'll still show up to cheer others on. Pretty bummed I won't be able to try my hand around the track. My next plan for a car is a Miata from the early to mid 2000's, so I at least know those are good for beginner autocross.

I pretty much started with a Miata had a 1991 NA it was great to learn fun to drive and cheap, we have a lot of Miatas out there, like they said if you ask I’m sure people will let you ride, definitely be a good event to ride along as it will be most likely smaller event with a bunch of us at the ProSolo in Fontana.....Definitely come out and have some fun😁😁😁
SMeyers
What Scott U said.

That, and there are two very reasonably-priced ready-to-autocross cars right now in our Classifieds.

A Dave Lahey CSP Miata for $4000 (got some nice parts on it), and Wiggy’s fast and reliable CAM-T 2001 Mustang well-sorted with lots of good stuff, turnkey for $4500.

Check them out.👍🤔😀
Jahoney
QUOTE (Austin Welles @ Mar 19 2019, 08:23 PM) *

Austin, my step-son and I run a 1990 Miata in STS. You are more than welcome to do a ride along with me. Just shoot me a PM and we can work out details.
Project.D
QUOTE (SMeyers @ Mar 20 2019, 09:19 AM) *
What Scott U said.

That, and there are two very reasonably-priced ready-to-autocross cars right now in our Classifieds.

A Dave Lahey CSP Miata for $4000 (got some nice parts on it), and Wiggy’s fast and reliable CAM-T 2001 Mustang well-sorted with lots of good stuff, turnkey for $4500.

Check them out.👍🤔😀

QUOTE (Jahoney @ Mar 20 2019, 04:36 PM) *
Austin, my step-son and I run a 1990 Miata in STS. You are more than welcome to do a ride along with me. Just shoot me a PM and we can work out details.

Yep, and that STS car MAY also be going up for sale within a few months ... Depends on my summer internship situation and how much I like using my WRX in time only runs. I can also give you a ride during my runs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.