Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restricting Events to 3 runs
AZ Solo Forums > General Discussion > SCCA Solo discussion
Bob Lob Law
The last event was reduced to 3 runs because of high turnout. It was great to see so many at the event, including a lot of novices. The novices I instructed (and myself and probably most drivers) were pretty disappointed at the reduced runs. When necessary, could we reduce the TO runs and keep 4 competition runs?
Mike Rogers
I agree with Todd's opinion on TO's cool.gif
SMeyers
I know in the past limiting TOs was the norm, but regular entries this day were somewhat higher than earlier events. And as always, there is the potential for unknowns that can and do delay an event; timing lights go down, lots of reruns, even perhaps an oil spill on course. And EVERYONE must be off site by.....what...... 5:00? Packed and gone.

So, with sticking to the four runs, and something delays the event substantially, it may not even be enough to limit TOs. Even possible theyd have to be cancelled.

Best to err on the side of caution. Recall that three runs is the norm.🤔
S. Roberts
QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 21 2020, 04:25 PM) *
I know in the past limiting TOs was the norm, but regular entries this day were somewhat higher than earlier events. And as always, there is the potential for unknowns that can and do delay an event; timing lights go down, lots of reruns, even perhaps an oil spill on course. And EVERYONE must be off site by.....what...... 5:00? Packed and gone.

So, with sticking to the four runs, and something delays the event substantially, it may not even be enough to limit TOs. Even possible theyd have to be cancelled.

Best to err on the side of caution. Recall that three runs is the norm.🤔

Although I understand Scott's explanation of the reason to go from four runs to three, I, too agree with Todd's suggestion. Three runs is the norm at national events. Both Arizona Region and AZ. Border Region have been giving four (4) runs for several years now,and we are all used to it - and look forward to it too! "Time Onlies" are just that - fun runs, practice runs. In fact, it would seem logical to not even record the times for T/O's. Think of the work it would save to prepare the results by cutting the work in half. At the last event, there were 61 T/O's and 137 entries, almost double the regular entries.

I'm betting if a show of hands of entrants was made, the majority would favor keeping four runs and cutting back or eliminating fun runs.

SMeyers
I would suggest and support TOs being always limited to three runs, even on days with fewer regular entries. Nothing wrong with those working since before dawn getting off a little early sometimes. Might even allow a stop on the way home for a little beer and pizza relaxation time!👍

And like Sharon, Im from a time when TOs were only given if there was extra time on a given day, and went for $1.00/run, handed to the starter each run. I also see no need for posting TO times, especially when drivers are car-swapping. 🤔
Dave H
So TO's only got 3 runs as well. For those of you who didn't stick around, tear down crew left the site right at 4pm, that's when we're supposed to be gone. And I know at least 2 of the people that were there for tear down were people that were there at 6am for setup, it makes for very long days...

So some quick math....

We had 137 competition entries, and 56 TO entires. So in total, we had 411 laps run in competition, and 168 laps in to's. If we ran 4 runs for everyone, it would have added an additional 137 laps to comp runs, to a total of 548 laps in comp. If you look at it as we were able to get a total of about 580 laps in before we had to be offsite, you're basically looking at 30 laps for to's if we did 4 laps for comp... that's not even enough to get everyone one TO run to get us out by 4pm, and then there's still tear down time. Granted, this is all taking a lot of assumptions into account, but you can get the idea of where I'm going with it.

I never like making the call for 3 runs in comps, but at last weeks event it was the correct call.
SEymann
I would also suggest that we start on time (or earlier) and expedite worker changeover. No more than 25 second launch interval ( since we no longer use a loop in the course ). With the current number of entrants, we could easily do 4 runs and adjust TO runs as needed.

I thought that the AMP rule was no more cars on track after 4 and off site by 5. Did that change?
Pjp7212
QUOTE (SEymann @ Feb 21 2020, 10:44 PM) *
I would also suggest that we start on time (or earlier) and expedite worker changeover. No more than 25 second launch interval ( since we no longer use a loop in the course ). With the current number of entrants, we could easily do 4 runs and adjust TO runs as needed.

I thought that the AMP rule was no more cars on track after 4 and off site by 5. Did that change?

I agree with this. Starting 30 mins earlier and having the next work group staged at/ near the gate as the group is finishing the last lap? Also assigning work positions at check as well?

Just my $0.02!!
Bob Lob Law
QUOTE (Dave H @ Feb 21 2020, 09:27 PM) *
So TO's only got 3 runs as well. For those of you who didn't stick around, tear down crew left the site right at 4pm, that's when we're supposed to be gone. And I know at least 2 of the people that were there for tear down were people that were there at 6am for setup, it makes for very long days...

So some quick math....

We had 137 competition entries, and 56 TO entires. So in total, we had 411 laps run in competition, and 168 laps in to's. If we ran 4 runs for everyone, it would have added an additional 137 laps to comp runs, to a total of 548 laps in comp. If you look at it as we were able to get a total of about 580 laps in before we had to be offsite, you're basically looking at 30 laps for to's if we did 4 laps for comp... that's not even enough to get everyone one TO run to get us out by 4pm, and then there's still tear down time. Granted, this is all taking a lot of assumptions into account, but you can get the idea of where I'm going with it.

I never like making the call for 3 runs in comps, but at last weeks event it was the correct call.

I appreciate that, and its a hard call to make at 9:30 in the morning. We can only cram in so many runs in a day. In my view, comp should get 4 and TO get whatever is left. It would be easier to make a more accurate guess if it doesn't have to be made until TOs start in the afternoon.
SMeyers
QUOTE (Bob Lob Law @ Feb 24 2020, 02:24 PM) *
I appreciate that, and its a hard call to make at 9:30 in the morning. We can only cram in so many runs in a day. In my view, comp should get 4 and TO get whatever is left. It would be easier to make a more accurate guess if it doesn't have to be made until TOs start in the afternoon.

The call for number of runs has to be made at the start of the second runs of the *first run group*, so the drivers know in time to mentally adjust. And then all following groups must follow suit. Cant make that call later.

Agree with part "A". cool.gif
Bob Lob Law
QUOTE (SMeyers @ Feb 24 2020, 03:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Bob Lob Law @ Feb 24 2020, 02:24 PM) *

The "call" for number of runs has to be made at the start of the second runs of the *first run group*, so the drivers know in time to mentally adjust. And then all following groups must follow suit. Can't make that call later.

Agree with part "A". cool.gif

If there are always 4 comp runs, then the call would not need to be made until the start of TOs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.